OT: Obtaining passports

pookie

Incompetent
Reaction score
I'm taking the family to Cancun in late June to one of those nice new, family friendly all inclusive resorts. The kids are going to be pumped.

What's the easiest, quickest, cheapest way to get a passport for myself and my 3 boys?

Go down across the tracks, at the first liqour store you see, ask for Renaldo. The guy will tell you to go to a payphone and wait. About 30 minutes later Renaldo will contact you and give you a place to meet.

Tell him what you want, and when you need it by..and you'll have it. If it's a rush job, you may have to pay extra.

Go down across the tracks, at the first liqour store you see, ask for Renaldo. The guy will tell you to go to a payphone and wait. About 30 minutes later Renaldo will contact you and give you a place to meet.

Tell him what you want, and when you need it by..and you'll have it. If it's a rush job, you may have to pay extra.

Really. Pookie, you live in Texas, ask the next Mexican you see.

FWIW - There is no quick way, just move quickly and a get a little luck.

I'm taking the family to Cancun in late June to one of those nice new, family friendly all inclusive resorts. The kids are going to be pumped.

What's the easiest, quickest, cheapest way to get a passport for myself and my 3 boys?

you can get quick and easy
you can get easy and cheap

but not all three

There can be a HUGE delay in getting passports. If you're really going in three months, you better get the paperwork going NOW. No guarantee you'll get them in time even doing that...

Hmmm.... You're going to Cancun? How old are your sons? Old enough for me to date?

just sayin'. ;)

I have an uncle at the Post Office who helped me and it still took like five weeks...start on it ASAP! and have a great trip.

Here's what i did, was pretty simple and quick, go to your local post office, or main hub, bring drivers liscense, birth cetificate, ( 2 ) 2 x 2 photos of yourself,
check in your local area for a company to provide photos, social security card, when you get to the post office, you'll need to fill ou the application in front of the postal clerk, dont fill it out and bring it in, they'll make you do another, trust me, pay the fee and wait.

I got my in like 2 weeks, and i applied for it 1 month after 9-11 happened, issuance date on my passport is 11-11-01, go figure.

Here's what i did, was pretty simple and quick, go to your local post office, or main hub, bring drivers liscense, birth cetificate, ( 2 ) 2 x 2 photos of yourself,
check in your local area for a company to provide photos, social security card, when you get to the post office, you'll need to fill ou the application in front of the postal clerk, dont fill it out and bring it in, they'll make you do another, trust me, pay the fee and wait.

I got my in like 2 weeks, and i applied for it 1 month after 9-11 happened, issuance date on my passport is 11-11-01, go figure.

After looking around a bit online, this seems like the best/only way to go. They say 6 weeks to get the passport after you've filed the application. But, damn, it's $100 a piece for the wife, myself and my son who's almost 16, then $85 for the 14 and 9 yr olds. What a rip off. I'm not so sure it cost the government almost $500 to process my family's paperwork.

VYF, you can come with us. You can go to the teen disco with my teen boys then take the little feller over to the water park area. I'm sure you'll be a babysitter that my guys won't mind having! :)

After looking around a bit online, this seems like the best/only way to go. They say 6 weeks to get the passport after you've filed the application. But, damn, it's $100 a piece for the wife, myself and my son who's almost 16, then $85 for the 14 and 9 yr olds. What a rip off. I'm not so sure it cost the government almost $500 to process my family's paperwork.

VYF, you can come with us. You can go to the teen disco with my teen boys then take the little feller over to the water park area. I'm sure you'll be a babysitter that my guys won't mind having! :)

I don't recall passports being that expensive. Got mine in 2000. It'll be due for renewal in 2010. My daughter had to get hers renewed in '05 since she was under 16 when we got hers in 2000 (only good for 5 years if under 16).

Unless the rules have changed, you'll need a FULL birth certificate, not the post card sized version. There's more info on the full version and it'll cost a little more from the town hall.

Once you get the first one, the renewals are much easier.

:thumb: :heart: Teen disco...wooooo!

Get moving quickly. It can take a couple months (depending on the backlog) for it to get processed, although for an extra fee, the gov't will expedite your request.

Meh, I wouldn't worry about it. I hear the US is pretty lax when it comes to letting people back in at the Mexican border.

Meh, I wouldn't worry about it. I hear the US is pretty lax when it comes to letting people across at the Mexican border.
Returning will be the problem. especially with the new requirements. It would be wise to have a passport. Don't have one? Have a birth certificate.

Returning will be the problem. especially with the new requirements. It would be wise to have a passport. Don't have one? Have a birth certificate.

That's what I meant. It was a (bad) joke.

It was funny, after the Rose Bowl one year we were in San Diego and decided to go to Tijuana. We basically just walked across the border into Mexico. Done deal. No ID, nothing. Coming back? That was hilarious. At least there was a line for US citizens that moved faster. If I were Mexican, I'd probably say eff it and not visit the US at that checkpoint.

When I had to make a business trip to Taiwan on short notice, I didn't have a passport (I was fairly fresh out of the service and hadn't needed one) so, with a letter from my company and a set of plane tickets, I went to the Seattle Passport office, fileld out everything etc... and the company paid more to get it faster. Went and picked it up the next day.

They do have some form of "Express" service. Check the passport site from the feds to see what it entails.

When I had to make a business trip to Taiwan on short notice, I didn't have a passport (I was fairly fresh out of the service and hadn't needed one) so, with a letter from my company and a set of plane tickets, I went to the Seattle Passport office, fileld out everything etc... and the company paid more to get it faster. Went and picked it up the next day.

They do have some form of "Express" service. Check the passport site from the feds to see what it entails.

They do have that option, for those needing to go to funerals out of the country or travel to assist sick relatives and the like.
My friend's father dropped dead in Japan while on business, and he had to get there quick to retrieve the body and bring it home. Got his passport real quicky but not sure what it cost.

http://www.ips.gov.uk/passport/index.asp

Don't be stopped by the fact that you
a) aren't British
b) need a passport to get there.

:poke:

Back