Paterno Knew In '76

chevss454

Data-driven decision-making is science and art.
Reaction score
I have no dog in this fight but this is awful if NBC's report is true.

Report: Joe Paterno knew of Jerry Sandusky abuses dating as far back as 1976. https://t.co/H1F0eIqRF2

By John Taylor May 5, 2016, 7:47 PM EDT

Oh boy. As an insurance case connected to the Jerry Sandusky child-sex abuse case continues to wind its way through the legal system, PennLive.com writes, ” a new bombshell” was dropped Thursday. According to the newspaper website, a court order in the case indicates that deceased former Penn State head coach Joe Paterno was aware in 1976 of sexual abuse allegations against Sandusky, the former Paterno right-hand man who was convicted of molesting at least 10 underage males victims during and after his long stint as a Nittany Lions assistant.
It’s further alleged in the order that Paterno did not tell his superiors of the allegations in 1976, nor subsequent allegations a decade later. From the report:
The line in question states that one of Penn State’s insurers has claimed “in 1976, a child allegedly reported to PSU’s Head Coach Joseph Paterno that he (the child) was sexually molested by Sandusky.”
The order also cites separate references in 1987 and 1988 in which unnamed assistant coaches witnessed inappropriate contact between Sandusky and unidentified children, and a 1988 case that was supposedly referred to Penn State’s athletic director at the time.

“There is no evidence that reports of these incidents ever went further up the chain of command at PSU,” Judge Gary Glazer wrote, in determining that because Penn State’s executive officers weren’t aware of the allegations, he would not bar those claims from insurance coverage.”
Paterno supporters, including his family, have long argued that Paterno did nothing inappropriate and did not cover up for his former coach; Paterno himself admitted, though, in an interview before he was fired in the midst of the scandal in November of 2011, “I wish I had done more.”

much more

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...5698687&utm_source=TW @NBCSports&utm_tags=srm[college%20football]

And Paterno wants ice water.

You know. Hell and such.

Rot in hell Joe Paterno. Those Wins were most important thing to him. Penn state acting like cry babies into they got all the sanctioned removed. He now back to be the winningest coach .

I don't care what the NCAA wants to do regarding his win/loss record. That's so immaterial to the actual issue. In fact, it distracts from the real issue. Paterno's legacy needs to go down as someone who enabled and abetted a pedophile, allowed him to function in an environment where unwilling victims were handed to him and he was able to operate in an environment where he was free from risk of being exposed and prosecuted.

All those who knew what was happening need to rot in whatever hell your faith believes in.

I don't care what the NCAA wants to do regarding his win/loss record. That's so immaterial to the actual issue. In fact, it distracts from the real issue. Paterno's legacy needs to go down as someone who enabled and abetted a pedophile, allowed him to function in an environment where unwilling victims were handed to him and he was able to operate in an environment where he was free from risk of being exposed and prosecuted.

All those who knew what was happening need to rot in whatever hell your faith believes in.

I certainly agree with this perspective, but I'd go further to say that I do want to NCAA to vacate most of Paterno's wins and his legacy. I think there is plenty of punishment to go around and to me the culture at this community lies greatly with the fans who continued to rally and support Paterno even after his involvement became fairly clear to most of us.

So yes, I hope hell has to create a "Penn State" wing in their hottest part of town I ALSO hope the NCAA would ding not only his reputation but the reputation of the institution that covered up the abuse. By changing the record book we'd be putting the "asterisk" that will remind people forever the damage done by this totally immoral organization.

If this is true, Penn State football deserves the death sentence.

These accusations represent more than 20 additional years of looking the other way than previously thought.

**** that program. Sorry. Make an example. Burn it down, salt the earth.

If this is true, Penn State football deserves the death sentence.

These accusations represent more than 20 additional years of looking the other way than previously thought.

**** that program. Sorry. Make an example. Burn it down, salt the earth.

Quote this is NEW information. If verifiable and if the NCAA DOESN't reopen the case and go all Sam jackson on the old coach, the records, the team and the school, then the NCAA will become an accessory after the fact.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/T-K8qi_AoXI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And the only appropriate "great vengence and furious anger" is as suggested above. The purging of the records and the death penalty to the program. Oh and could they completely revoke the school's NCAA affiliation and kill ALL the teams?

Cheers, BostonTim

Quote this is NEW information. If verifiable and if the NCAA DOESN't reopen the case and go all Sam jackson on the old coach, the records, the team and the school, then the NCAA will become an accessory after the fact.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/T-K8qi_AoXI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And the only appropriate "great vengence and furious anger" is as suggested above. The purging of the records and the death penalty to the program. Oh and could they completely revoke the school's NCAA affiliation and kill ALL the teams?

Cheers, BostonTim

I doubt there reinstate the punishment to remove Joe Paterno Wins. That was the most important thing. To Penn state even after the punishment. Getting those Wins & records back.

Cheers, BostonTim

Not a fan of this.

Enough time has gone by where the current squad of players had absolutely nothing to do with the old regime. The ones that did it. Why punish these innocent kids?

And take away NCAA eligibility for the lacrosse or wrestling or any other prominent program? Doesn't make sense to me.

The only thing that'd make sense to me would be massive fines. But those would simply be paid via tuition increases.

I don't have an answer.

I thought Paterno was already dead. Does anyone actually think he can still be punished? If you want to put Sandusky in the rack or have him drawn and quartered, fine by me. He's the one who did the crimes.

Thinking you can punish a dead man, because you believe it was more probable than not, that he was generally aware it, seems like a waste of time to me.

:shrug_n:

I thought Paterno was already dead. Does anyone actually think he can still be punished? If you want to put Sandusky in the rack or have him drawn and quartered, fine by me. He's the one who did the crimes.

Thinking you can punish a dead man, because you believe it was more probable than not, that he was generally aware it, seems like a waste of time to me.

The Penn State community helped create the situation. Apparently many of their fans/alumni were so ****ed in the head that they cared more about football wins than raped kids. Remember that initially a DA declined to prosecute Sandusky. IMO, that was because dude was too much of a pussy to cross the Penn State alums.

So, **** them. Honor the scholarships of the football players/expedite transfers. But kill the program. It apparently made monsters out of a large number of people.

The Penn State community helped create the situation. Apparently many of their fans/alumni were so ****ed in the head that they cared more about football wins than raped kids. Remember that initially a DA declined to prosecute Sandusky. IMO, that was because dude was too much of a pussy to cross the Penn State alums.

So, **** them. Honor the scholarships of the football players/expedite transfers. But kill the program. It apparently made monsters out of a large number of people.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, we need to punish the community because it is more probable than not that they (the community) were generally aware of what Sandusky was doing, (and also they were fine with it as long as he was helping them win football games)?

Now if it's mainly the DA that committed some atrocity, why not go after him?

So if I'm understanding this correctly, we need to punish the community because it is more probable than not that they (the community) were generally aware of what Sandusky was doing, (and also they were fine with it as long as he was helping them win football games)?

Now if it's mainly the DA that committed some atrocity, why not go after him?

http://www.salon.com/2014/01/27/behind_the_penn_state_scandal_a_community_fails_to_reckon_with_its_past/

Anyone who says the same thing couldn’t have happened at Alabama or Miami or USC or Oklahoma or at least two dozen other football-mad schools — indeed, anyone who claims to know for sure that it hasn’t happened — is kidding themselves, big time. I’m not claiming there’s some obvious solution to the hive-mind, groupthink, blame-the-media mentality we see in “Happy Valley,” which seems like a constitutive element of human psychology that’s not limited to Penn State or college football or America.

This is why Penn State football should be made an example of. Want to preserve your precious program (at College X)? Keep an eye on it, don't make a deity of it, and don't let it become so big that it can destroy your morality. Remember what happened in Happy Valley- don't let it happen here.

You go after his legacy. For NCAA to restore those Wins were a slap in the face to all his victims. Penn state spent decades covering for Sandusky.

http://www.salon.com/2014/01/27/behind_the_penn_state_scandal_a_community_fails_to_reckon_with_its_past/

This is why Penn State football should be made an example of. Want to preserve your precious program (at College X)? Keep an eye on it, don't make a deity of it, and don't let it become so big that it can destroy your morality. Remember what happened in Happy Valley- don't let it happen here.
What I'm trying to understand is who's morality was destroyed? Who committed atrocities besides Sandusky?

Are you saying that the community knew what was going on?

Clearly, some people aren't satisfied by only putting Sandusky in jail for the rest of his life. However, he's the evil one. Really. He is the one who committed the crimes.

Do we really need to also identify some witches, and burn them at the stake, in order for people to feel that justice has been done? Right now, the only thing missing from the angry mob, (still screaming for vengeance), are some pitchforks and brooms on fire.

If someone makes a compelling case that "the community" knew what was going on, then I'd be more supportive of punishing them. Until I see real evidence of criminal intent by anyone else, as far as I'm concerned, the one, true, guilty person, is already in jail, for the rest of his pathetic life.

What I'm trying to understand is who's morality was destroyed? Who committed atrocities besides Sandusky?

Are you saying that the community knew what was going on?

Clearly, some people aren't satisfied by only putting Sandusky in jail for the rest of his life. However, he's the evil one. Really. He is the one who committed the crimes.

Do we really need to also identify some witches, and burn them at the stake, in order for people to feel that justice has been done? Right now, the only thing missing from the angry mob, (still screaming for vengeance), are some pitchforks and brooms on fire.

If someone makes a compelling case that "the community" knew what was going on, then I'd be more supportive of punishing them. Until I see real evidence of criminal intent by anyone else, as far as I'm concerned, the one, true, guilty person, is already in jail, for the rest of his pathetic life.

We are talking apples and oranges. 'Committing a crime' vs 'being illogically and pathetically withholden to a sports program.' If Paterno were alive and convicted of abetting Sandusky, he should go to jail = crime.

The death sentence to Penn State football is a 'punishment' only in-as-much as a revocation of an entertainment source when it became more important to much of a community than the safety of children. It ain't jail.

EDIT- to answer your question- yes, apparently there were those who did know what was going on, but hid it because of the cult of football worshippers they lived amongst. Hive-mentality, and groupthink as described in my link.

We are talking apples and oranges. 'Committing a crime' vs 'being illogically and pathetically withholden to a sports program.' If Paterno were alive and convicted of abetting Sandusky, he should go to jail = crime.

The death sentence to Penn State football is a 'punishment' only in-as-much as a revocation of an entertainment source when it became more important to much of a community than the safety of children. It ain't jail.

EDIT- to answer your question- yes, apparently there were those who did know what was going on, but hid it because of the cult of football worshippers they lived amongst. Hive-mentality, and groupthink as described in my link.

Anyone identified that had play or a role like this needs hard time as well. Anyone.

And not country club prison.

Pound-me-in-the-ass real prison. Learn how it feels.

Back