Patriots are fast at LB, really?

MAYHEM

Reaction score
I was checkin the 40 times for linebackers and I think the Pats may have the fastest LB corp of all 32 teams. Im used to hearing old and slow, so it surprised me. Guyton, Mayo, and Thomas are all quick on paper. Some of you are concerned about a pass rusher, but I think BB is set. When the young guys get more experienced, the Pats should be able to run some of their blitz schemes more effectively.

I was checkin the 40 times for linebackers and I think the Pats may have the fastest LB corp of all 32 teams. Im used to hearing old and slow, so it surprised me. Guyton, Mayo, and Thomas are all quick on paper. Some of you are concerned about a pass rusher, but I think BB is set. When the young guys get more experienced, the Pats should be able to run some of their blitz schemes more effectively.
Hope you're right but LB play isn't just about speed. If it was, the pats would sign a track team for their LB corps.

Hope you're right but LB play isn't just about speed. If it was, the pats would sign a track team for their LB corps.

I hope I'm wrong. Speed obviously isn't the only factor but it helps. Guyton could'nt bull rush an OT for example, but if the offense is always confused about where the pressure is coming from, it doesnt matter. The Pats Dline Commands a few double teams and a solid 34 scheme can confuse opposing QB's. Pats had to play rooks at LB last year, so I imagine the D was dumbed down some. That should change some this year if everyone stays healthy.

The old and slow thing has kinda went away. The pats have been drafting like crazy in the LB department the last couple of years, and have a group of young guys that may or may no be able to go on a full time basis. Thomas is a go, mayo is a go, bruschi is going to work on a part time basis, but then its kind of a toss up of the other guys on who is going to take it by teh reins and run with it.

The 40 times are improved, but the 10 yd splits tell the real story.

Crable 4.61/40 and 1.56/10 at the Combine.
Guyton 4.47/40 and 1.46/10 at the Combine
Mayo 4.54/40 and 1.50/10 at the Combine.
McKenzie 4.76/40 and 1.56/10 at the Combine.
Redd 4.56/40 and 1.56/10 at his Pro Day.
Woods 4.75/40 at his Pro Day - with no data on his 10 split, we rely on Dean Pees' remarks from last season where he told us that Woods greatest strength in practice was his pass rush which suggests Pierre has a 10 split similar to the other youngsters.
TBC was projected as a 4.79/40 in 2003, but we know he can get around the dge pretty well.
Ciurciu was projected as a 4.69/40 in 2003.
Alexander was projected as a 4.70 in 2004.
Thomas has demonstrated his speed on the field.
Lenon comes from 4-3 systems where speed is more important that in the 3-4.
Bruschi is the slow poke, but his experience still puts him in position to make plays.

BB's youth movement has brought in some speed, in a few weeks we'll get to see how well they've improved on last year's performance.

its about closing speed though, hitting the hole from a dead stop, and that can come from good explosive 40 speed.

I love me some Mayo and Guyton, McKenzie hopefully adds some depth but I'm hoping Guyton and Mayo are a tandem for years to come, tons of athleticism and they can bring the wood. With their athleticism, and a years worth of the d under their belts, I'm hoping for big stuff out of our middle D.

Back