Patriots select cornerback Cyrus Jones Round 2, pick 60

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
Scott Halleran / Getty Images Sport / Getty
Patriots select cornerback Cyrus Jones
Arun Srinivasan Apr 29, 2016 21:24
The New England Patriots have selected cornerback Cyrus Jones out of Alabama in the second round of the 2016 NFL Draft.

More to come.

Cyrus Jones Bio

Position: CB
School: Alabama
College Experience: Junior
Height: 5-10
Weight: 197 lbs

Strengths

Displays excellent field vision in the return game, and will excel on special teams at the professional level.
Possesses good ball skills and instincts, carrying over some skills as a converted wide receiver.
Rotates hips well to stay with pass-catchers on the inside.
Excels in run support and seldom loses contain.
Weaknesses

Struggles immensely against larger wide receivers in all facets, lacking the physicality to contain them. Will need to bulk up to play cornerback at the professional level.
Has an average recovery speed and panics when beaten off the line of scrimmage, leading to penalties.
Arrested for domestic violence in April 2015. Charges were dropped, but may have tainted his reputation.
Vertical is below average, and he'll need to work on spatial awareness to compensate for his lack of size.
Combine Results

Event Result
40-yd Dash 4.49 sec
Bench Press 10 reps
Vertical Jump 33 inches
Broad Jump 116 inches
3-Cone Drill 6.71 sec
20-yd Shuttle 4.21 sec

Scott Halleran / Getty Images Sport / Getty
Patriots select cornerback Cyrus Jones
Arun Srinivasan Apr 29, 2016 21:24
The New England Patriots have selected cornerback Cyrus Jones out of Alabama in the second round of the 2016 NFL Draft.

More to come.

Cyrus Jones Bio

Position: CB
School: Alabama
College Experience: Junior
Height: 5-10
Weight: 197 lbs

Strengths

Displays excellent field vision in the return game, and will excel on special teams at the professional level.
Possesses good ball skills and instincts, carrying over some skills as a converted wide receiver.
Rotates hips well to stay with pass-catchers on the inside.
Excels in run support and seldom loses contain.
Weaknesses

Struggles immensely against larger wide receivers in all facets, lacking the physicality to contain them. Will need to bulk up to play cornerback at the professional level.
Has an average recovery speed and panics when beaten off the line of scrimmage, leading to penalties.
Arrested for domestic violence in April 2015. Charges were dropped, but may have tainted his reputation.
Vertical is below average, and he'll need to work on spatial awareness to compensate for his lack of size.
Combine Results

Event Result
40-yd Dash 4.49 sec
Bench Press 10 reps
Vertical Jump 33 inches
Broad Jump 116 inches
3-Cone Drill 6.71 sec
20-yd Shuttle 4.21 sec

Well it's not like we have to deal with Watkins and Marshall and Decker or....

:suicide:

Yeah, those guys play a ton of slot receiver.

I'm not an Offensive Coordinator, but if they were on my roster and a guy had massive difficulties covering those types it's not exactly rocket science to line him up tighter to the formation or bring him in motion and snap when he's in the slot.

I'm not an Offensive Coordinator,but if they were on my roster and a guy had massive difficulties covering those types it's not exactly rocket science to line him up tighter to the formation or bring him in motion and snap when he's in the slot.

Yeah, I'll take my chances with Brandon Marshall trying to play slot receiver.

so wtf was up with douche seymour announcing the pick? was that the nfl's idea of a f.u.?

This solves the slot CB problem. Butler & Ryan did a good job starting outside. There wasn't much production behind them. I do wonder if jones take over as the PR .

Give me a Crimson Tide, Saban guy any day of the week over another Meyer hoodlum.

If Saban endorses this kid, that's good enough for me.

And I think it's safe to say, this kid will the archetypal Patriot!!

"He thinks everyone is always disrespecting him from media to the other team."

He relishes the opportunity to prove himself on the biggest stage, as he once had to do as a true freshman with Alabama. And he enjoys taking on the challenge of playing one of the game’s most difficult positions.

“Being a D-back, especially a corner, is the second-hardest position on the field, other than playing quarterback,” Jones said. “There’s a lot of pressure, but once I catch the ball, it’s showtime after that.”

He can’t wait to prove the naysayers wrong on football’s biggest stage, while continuing to bring his mixture of showtime and toughness to whatever team takes a gamble on him.

- See more at: http://alabamanewscenter.com/2016/04/27/44733/#sthash.FnvCf4jb.dpuf

Welcome Cyrus!

#ClampClampington ‏@CyJones_ 7h7 hours ago
Can't even put into words how blessed I am! Extremely grateful to be apart of the best organization in the @NFL! Let's Go @Patriots!

#ClampClampington ‏@CyJones_ 2h2 hours ago
Woke up and can't go back to sleep......it still seems fake! #Blessed
38 retweets 125 likes

Give me a Crimson Tide, Saban guy any day of the week over another Meyer hoodlum.

If Saban endorses this kid, that's good enough for me.

ummmmm, that's not saying much. Too bad Sean Davis was gone.

ummmmm, that's not saying much. Too bad Sean Davis was gone.

I'm a Saban person. I think he's tough and builds pro-ready teams and players. No nonsense, you can leave if you don't want to work hard type of guy. He's the college version of Belichick.

I like this kids heart, and he does have skills beyond his position which the pats love. His size worries me a bit, he actually looks smaller than 5'9 or the rest of Alabama's secondary are giants.

I like this kids heart, and he does have skills beyond his position which the pats love. His size worries me a bit, he actually looks smaller than 5'9 or the rest of Alabama's secondary are giants.

It's a challenge for sure, the NFL is brutal in that regard, you can have all the intelligence and the courage in the world but you need the raw, rare athletic skills to make it as well. Hopefully this kid can make it, plenty of smaller guys who were routinely dismissed have consistently proved the doubters wrong.

I'm a Saban person. I think he's tough and builds pro-ready teams and players. No nonsense, you can leave if you don't want to work hard type of guy. He's the college version of Belichick.

You have more confidence in Bama players succeeding in the NFL than I do. Yes, they've improved in recent years, but from my view Saban's coaching has more to do with what makes the team great than the individual players do.

Saban has had his share of bad character players, too.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/10/alabamas_growing_list_of_suspe.html

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sport...es-three-players-arrested-20150331-story.html

You have more confidence in Bama players succeeding in the NFL than I do. Yes, they've improved in recent years, but from my view Saban's coaching has more to do with what makes the team great than the individual players do.

Saban has had his share of bad character players, too.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/10/alabamas_growing_list_of_suspe.html

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sport...es-three-players-arrested-20150331-story.html

Show some respect to Bama goddamnit.

The kid seems to check off most of the boxes the Pats want in a CB. I am excited to see how he works out.

Back