Patriots select cornerback Cyrus Jones Round 2, pick 60

This kid better get his shit together pretty quick because his mistakes will cost a playoff game if this keeps up.

I dunno if it's the yips or not. I do know that he seems to forget where he is on the football field sometimes.

He's "Bama smart." The yips is a breakdown in an otherwise routine mechanical component. Cyrus just can't process the special teams situation quickly enough and thus is indecisive. Not only was he too close to the ball and allowed it to touch him, look at his reaction after he followed the play and chose not to fall on the ball. Paralyzed. Unsure of what to do.

Hopefully the kid gets over whatever ails him for the Pats could REALLY use his skills as a return guy.

I would like to think he will improve on this but that Cam Newton moment last night was a real head scratcher. He didn't even attempt the recovery.

Breaking News: Cyrus Jones to undergo brain replacement surgery. The injury occurred in the second half of the Monday night game against the Baltimore Ravens. The injury has been hampering the rookie all season. An MRI taken immediately following the game revealed butt like matter impermeated throughout his cranium. Doctors are hopeful that the new techniques in butt-head surgery will help CJ reach his draft potential.

He's "Bama smart." The yips is a breakdown in an otherwise routine mechanical component. Cyrus just can't process the special teams situation quickly enough and thus is indecisive. Not only was he too close to the ball and allowed it to touch him, look at his reaction after he followed the play and chose not to fall on the ball. Paralyzed. Unsure of what to do.

I read an interesting study on golfers with the yips. In it, a bunch of guys were wired up with electrodes and monitored while they were putting. They discovered that some of them actually black out very briefly when they pull the putter back.

The conclusion was that they hate the thought of missing a gimme so much that their brain just shuts down to protect itself. Or something like that.

That's what is happening to Jones. He needs to led out behind the barn and put out of his misery. The big question is why he was still out there last night. I'd say Bill has been unusually patient in this case.

BB shouldered the blame for Jones in his presser, stating he needs to coach him better, and that his gaffes are preventable. The kid must have something going for him, because McCourty and TFB both stood up for him, too.
did anyone defend Slater?

that was a bigger F-up IMO

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...lichick_patriots_3_turnovers_are_on_everybody

FOXBORO — Cyrus Jones didn’t stick around to talk with reporters after his fumble kick-started a Ravens rally Monday night.

Jones fumbled a punt return he had no intention of actually returning in the third quarter with the Patriots leading 23-3. On the ensuing kickoff Matthew Slater fumbled to set up another Ravens touchdown before the Patriots responded to eke out a 30-23 win.

But Jones’ latest fumble, and its impact on the Patriots’ shaky punt return game, left a lasting impact after the Patriots secured the victory.

Coach Bill Belichick wouldn’t point a finger at Jones, who was not sent out into punt return duty the rest of the game.

“Well we turned the ball over three times tonight,” Belichick said, also referencing a Tom Brady interception in the first half. “Three situations that all I would say were pretty preventable.

“We just got to do a better job of taking care of the ball than we did tonight. And that’s everybody. We’ll work on it with everybody.”

Safety Devin McCourty said the players still have confidence in Jones, the Patriots’ second-round pick this year.

“He’s a very talented player,” McCourty said.

“We’ll continue to count on him. I have no doubt he’s going to rebound and keep playing well for us.”

Not liking that he wouldn't face the music after the game.
No way would BB have him out there unless he truly had no one else.

Not liking that he wouldn't face the music after the game.
No way would BB have him out there unless he truly had no one else.

Not a good policy to put a player that has screwed up more than any other player on the team in front of the camera. He'll either come off crybaby-ish, insecure, or just won't say the right things.

Plus, he'll face plenty of music today. Just not in front of the cameras.

Not a good policy to put a player that has screwed up more than any other player on the team in front of the camera. He'll either come off crybaby-ish, insecure, or just won't say the right things.

Plus, he'll face plenty of music today. Just not in front of the cameras.

I'm not surprised if Bill told him to get out of town, to spare him and to spare the room in general. :shrug:

did anyone defend Slater?

that was a bigger F-up IMO

Well, it was big.

This isn't the first time Slater has coughed it up, which may be because he only has one move on KRs. He runs straight ahead and doesn't try to make anybody miss.

It's the damndest thing. He does it every time and it doesn't take a genius to line him up and put a hat on the ball. I mean, you know where he is going every time. Straight ahead.

James White should be the next man up. He seems to be comfortable catching the ball, which would be a major improvement and while he is an important player, not handing an opponent two gimme TDs in one game is also important.

Also, I had a chance to watch the Jones gaffe a bunch of times and it is really, really odd. It appears that the ball was going right by him and he sort of stuck his foot out like a goalie making a kick save. That ball didn't bounce into him at all.

This means one of two things. He either is in cahoots with a bookie and did it on purpose or his confidence is completely shot and he can no longer function. He's been doing this shit since training camp and I'd love to see a rundown of how many times he's had trouble handling the ball and how many he caught clean. I'd guess it's about 50/50. I watched him in a scrimmage with no pressure and he bobbled every chance he got and I thought "THIS is our new PR guy?".

I guess Bill really wanted this to work, but not even he can continue with this grand experiment any longer. It's over. The guy just melted down.

huh?

PFL, your explanation sounds reasonable.

Huh? Did I stutter? What was unclear about my post? Cyrus Jones doesn't owe shit to anyone. He's paid to play football. He did that. He has no obligation to "face the music." I'm sure Bill is loosing sleep over not appeasing you in this regard.

Face the music. :facepalm:

This isn't the first time Slater has coughed it up, which may be because he only has one move on KRs. He runs straight ahead and doesn't try to make anybody miss.

Which makes fumbling even more bizarre. Generally it's lateral moves, eyes away from the pursuit, ball insecure due to changing direction, etc. that lead to turnovers on KR rather than GET BALL RUN STRAIGHT. Slater being the "safe" play has always made me laugh.

Well, it was big.

It's the damndest thing. He does it every time and it doesn't take a genius to line him up and put a hat on the ball. I mean, you know where he is going every time. Straight ahead.

James White should be the next man up. He seems to be comfortable catching the ball, which would be a major improvement and while he is an important player, not handing an opponent two gimme TDs in one game is also important.

Also, I had a chance to watch the Jones gaffe a bunch of times and it is really, really odd. It appears that the ball was going right by him and he sort of stuck his foot out like a goalie making a kick save. That ball didn't bounce into him at all.

This means one of two things. He either is in cahoots with a bookie and did it on purpose or his confidence is completely shot and he can no longer function. He's been doing this shit since training camp and I'd love to see a rundown of how many times he's had trouble handling the ball and how many he caught clean. I'd guess it's about 50/50. I watched him in a scrimmage with no pressure and he bobbled every chance he got and I thought "THIS is our new PR guy?".

I guess Bill really wanted this to work, but not even he can continue with this grand experiment any longer. It's over. The guy just melted down.

I too noticed that it looked like he stuck his foot out. Gambling is what came to my mind.

Back