Patriots vs Bills 1PM CBS Game thread

Jerry described well the surreal nature of the opening KO TD as have others. It made me think of a somewhat less-dramatic
parallel to the Hamlin situation in which Tedy Bruschi returned from a stroke and made, I believe, the opening tackle on D. The
crowd went icky-balookey as did I but then we accepted that he was sick, got better and came back to play football.

I bring that up not to say hey! what about us! but rather to point out that there have been plenty of horrendous injuries and
illnesses that guys have had to battle through but we didn't watch them happen live on camera and it wasn't nearly as big
of a national deal.

At least we won't be subjected to 3 mania (no offense to a nice kid) for much longer and the offseason will allow it to fade
away and be replaced with other, more current, things. The coverage of the drama quickly moved into the realm of excessive hype, tears
and then......the big payoff for the networks.......REAL MAJICK!!!!!

Get well soon, but for the love of God, can we just all move on to actual football at some point?

The Globe called this as we were saying it yesterday, re Romo.
They let him off easy.

I mentioned during the game that I thought he was unprepared and I still believe that. When people are unprepared they talk to much and lack confidence, both of which were readily apparent during the game.

That said, his blatant rooting for the bills over shadowed his lack of preparedness. CBS should be pissed. Nantz should be pissed.

Jerry described well the surreal nature of the opening KO TD as have others. It made me think of a somewhat less-dramatic
parallel to the Hamlin situation in which Tedy Bruschi returned from a stroke and made, I believe, the opening tackle on D. The
crowd went icky-balookey as did I but then we accepted that he was sick, got better and came back to play football.

I bring that up not to say hey! what about us! but rather to point out that there have been plenty of horrendous injuries and
illnesses that guys have had to battle through but we didn't watch them happen live on camera and it wasn't nearly as big
of a national deal.

At least we won't be subjected to 3 mania (no offense to a nice kid) for much longer and the offseason will allow it to fade
away and be replaced with other, more current, things. The coverage of the drama quickly moved into the realm of excessive hype, tears
and then......the big payoff for the networks.......REAL MAJICK!!!!!

Get well soon, but for the love of God, can we just all move on to actual football at some point?
Your last graph is really shocking. Usually you display much more empathy and understanding. Yesterday was not even a week since the heart attack and the Bills first game without him.

Jerry was again funny and spot on. I will only say this: Patricia using Pass Action and Bourne yesterday SCREAMS at me of the same FU he gave the Lions for two years until he saw the writing on the wall and suddenly he tried not to be a dick everyday, all day to everyone at the last minute. It didn't work in Detroit and it better not work in Foxboro.

Yesterday the game was nationally televised with the exception of a few small areas. King Roger blessed the stadium with an appearance, how could he not with all the #3 media.
So what did we get? One of the worse officiated games in recent memory. It seems like they were afraid to call a penalty until the 4th quarter. In the process the didn't call an obvious offside that even the visually impaired saw. Then they don't call an OPI that if you looked in the rule book, a photo of that play would be in the OPI section.
I'm not blaming the refs for the Patriots loss. However, this crew should not be in the same zip code of any playoff game this year.

Last edited:
Yesterday the game was nationally televised with the exception of a few small areas. King Roger blessed the stadium with an appearance, how could he not with all the #3 media.
So what did we get? One of the worse officiated games in recent memory. It seems like they were afraid to call a penalty until the 4th quarter. In the process the didn't call a bla
I said to my brother before the game, there is no way the officials let the Bills loose that game. Turns out our STs did it for them.

So what did we get? One of the worse officiated games in recent memory. It seems like they were afraid to call a penalty until the 4th quarter. In the process the didn't call an obvious offside that even the visually impaired saw. Then they don't call an OPI that if you looked in the rule book, a photo of that play would be in the OPI section.
I'm not blaming the refs for the Patriots loss. However, this crew should not be in the same zip code of any playoff game this year.

Absolutely agree! Not to mention a couple of DPI not called on the Bills that could have been huge for us.

Your last graph is really shocking. Usually you display much more empathy and understanding. Yesterday was not even a week since the heart attack and the Bills first game without him.

Oh, really? So, I'm a cold, unfeeling monster, is it?

I believe it was clear, for anyone with basic reading skills, that I was griping a little about the fawning, maudlin, non-stop coverage and not the kid himself. I don't believe
that I am alone in that.

If the rest of the Planet has a problem with what I wrote then I'll listen to people's thoughts with interest.

Not you, though. :)

I believe it was clear, for anyone with basic reading skills, that I was griping a little about the fawning, maudlin, non-stop coverage and not the kid himself. I don't believe
that I am alone in that.

If the rest of the Planet has a problem with what I wrote then I'll listen to people's thoughts with interest.

i said something similar in some thread during pregame. coverage, i get. coverage to the point of ignoring the actual game? nope. it was like a friend who has a bad relationship just steady bending your ear about in nonstop. you have empathy, but at some point, other things in life happen also.

Mazz, I'm with him and said the below just one page earlier.

The Hamlin thing has been milked to death. He isn't dead, he'll recover, he's alive. And the prayer/Jesus shit really got on my tits, people saying it was God at work and the kick-off return was divine intervention. What crap. I guess the mothers of the 15,000 3rd world children who die every day from sickness and hunger just aren't praying hard enough. Or is God saying, "hang on mothers of the 3rd world, I'm going to have to put you on pause, a single football player in Buffalo is in critical condition, I'll have to put all my focus there".

/Rant over.

that I am alone in that.

I posted my thoughts on it, which were similar although not as eloquently put as yours.

One thing is people coming together in a near tragedy, and the feel-good of a player recovering.

Another thing is the nauseating media frenzy it created. Then the million regurgitations of the same news and networks trying to one up one another in showing that they are cool because they care more.

that I am alone in that.

I certainly agree with you. I believe that those wore the support jerseys were sincere. But the media was relentless all week in trying to get the most out what happened to Hamlin.
It's one thing to be concerned about Hamlin and show support for his recovery. However, when the media keeps going and going to it are only bringing attention to themselves and not in support of Hamlin.

I concur. I heard some, not many, fans saying that our rebuild plan went backwards this year, but I don't think so. We actually have a lot of young talent that we can compete
for a Championship with and the best part of the 2022 season was watching them develop into top players. We found a bunch of studs. We will need an overhaul on the coaching
staff and a good draft and free agency period-- in short, a really strong offseason to put ourselves in position to challenge for the AFC East next season, but that is a completely
achievable goal.

I am sort of glad that it's over, because it wasn't easy watching this team struggle so badly on Offense. It was painful and I'll soon turn the page and look forward to 2023 and our
offseason plans.

Better days are coming.

The Patriots finished this season with a +17 point differential which is the tenth best in the NFL.

That's better than the Chargers (+7), Seahawks (+6), Dolphins (-2), Vikings (-3), Giants (-6) and Buccaneers (-45) who all made the postseason.

I also think we're set up nicely for a resurgence in 2023.

It wasn't even the usual non-calls for holding. It was the Bills were allowed to jump offsides multiple times, horrifically blatant pass interference calls that were just ignored, hits to the head, hits on defenseless receivers, and even an Allen throw 2 yards over the LOS.

Like, really basic stuff that was completely ignored.

Did it cost them the game, don't know, but it certainly didn't help.

Mazz, I'm with him and said the below just one page earlier.
Yes. I agree with the media being completely over the top but then again, I’ve come to expect that too.

Saw a comment where someone thought Nic Caley called the first half plays.
???

Back