Pats claim Floyd off waivers

Most pro sports players are real life pieces of shite...sad, but true.

It doesn't look like that will change any time soon either.

I'm not condoning their actions...just stating the truth.

Probably, but that's the thing. You don't have to have been caught even once to have driven drunk many times. The problem people IMO are those who get caught once and then a second time. Or more.

It's a tough call. Behavior is unacceptable, but there are urges alcoholics and addicts feel that normal people can't understand. I try to separate judging the behavior from judging the person's character and that it's never too late to turn it around. Too late for consequences, of course, but not for the person.

A friend went to rehab a number of times, was jailed at Bridgewater twice, and I gave up on him. Wondered why he bothered going to rehab the tenth or twelfth time, but that last one took and it was almost 20 years the last time I saw him.

I hope he gets himself straight and I agree with Chris Carter: he's better off on a team than out by himself.

I have trouble doing that, separating behavior from character as one of my life philosophies has always been the "You are what you do" notion

But it's not that simple since I also believe in forgiveness and redemption as well as the right to to seek employment. So I wish him well with reluctance.

Cheers

I'm among those who have mixed feelings. If it were a one time incident, I would move on and chalk it up to poor judgement. But he clearly has a substance abuse problem and does not appear to have hit rock bottom yet. We don't know what type of help the Cardinals were giving him. But no matter what help is provided, it does no good if he doesn't want to accept it.

Alcohol and driving is a big issue in my family. My wife's 20 year old niece was killed by a drunk driver on 495 seven years ago. Her brother's family lives with that every day. My wife runs a substance abuse counseling agency and much of her business is court driven. She sees the damaging effects every and has a difficult time not taking it home with her.

So count me as someone who hopes he accepts whatever help is available, but is not optimistic that he's ready to take it.

I'm among those who have mixed feelings. If it were a one time incident, I would move on and chalk it up to poor judgement. But he clearly has a substance abuse problem and does not appear to have hit rock bottom yet. We don't know what type of help the Cardinals were giving him. But no matter what help is provided, it does no good if he doesn't want to accept it.

Alcohol and driving is a big issue in my family. My wife's 20 year old niece was killed by a drunk driver on 495 seven years ago. Her brother's family lives with that every day. My wife runs a substance abuse counseling agency and much of her business is court driven. She sees the damaging effects every and has a difficult time not taking it home with her.

So count me as someone who hopes he accepts whatever help is available, but is not optimistic that he's ready to take it.

I'm right there with your mixed feelings, bid. I'm ok with the Pats giving him this opportunity but I'd have been just as ok with another team giving it to him. Addiction is hard to overcome and all the interventions in the world won't help unless the person is ready to be helped. 12 Step programs require active participation and self discipline...they don't just happen. BB has 6 weeks plus the off season to determine if Floyd is ready to be helped. If he's not, if he slips up, then the Pats can cut ties and wish him well as soon as tomorrow. I want him on a short leash while he's here because the Patriots are in the football business and not the rehab business. But at the same time, I'm one who believes he has a better chance to succeed with the structured support of a team rather than on his own.

I'm right there with your mixed feelings, bid. I'm ok with the Pats giving him this opportunity but I'd have been just as ok with another team giving it to him. Addiction is hard to overcome and all the interventions in the world won't help unless the person is ready to be helped. 12 Step programs require active participation and self discipline...they don't just happen. BB has 6 weeks plus the off season to determine if Floyd is ready to be helped. If he's not, if he slips up, then the Pats can cut ties and wish him well as soon as tomorrow. I want him on a short leash while he's here because the Patriots are in the football business and not the rehab business. But at the same time, I'm one who believes he has a better chance to succeed with the structured support of a team rather than on his own.

All NFL teams are rehab facilities to a certain extent. A good majority of the players have substance abuse issues we just don't hear of them because they don't have a profile like Floyd.

All NFL teams are rehab facilities to a certain extent. A good majority of the players have substance abuse issues we just don't hear of them because they don't have a profile like Floyd.

You're right of course. At the same time, I don't want him driving drunk and killing someone on our watch.

I think that's an overstatement. The amount of substance abuse is unlikely to be much different than the general population.

I think that's an overstatement. The amount of substance abuse is unlikely to be much different than the general population.

I highly doubt it. The NFL base of players is 68 % African American (general pop is 13%) with the large majority making the NFL as a ticket out of poverty and low income/criminal neighborhoods. Of these men, very few have male role models of any kind. This has led to the high incidents of DV in the NFL as well as substance abuse issues, much more than any other pro sport.

I highly doubt it. The NFL base of players is 68 % African American (general pop is 13%) with the large majority making the NFL as a ticket out of poverty and low income/criminal neighborhoods. Of these men, very few have male role models of any kind. This has led to the high incidents of DV in the NFL as well as substance abuse issues, much more than any other pro sport.

Stereotype much?
As usual, we'll have to agree to disagree so that this doesn't turn too political.

Stereotype much?
As usual, we'll have to agree to disagree so that this doesn't turn too political.

It is not a stereotype, those are the demographics. This is what Roger has been fighting against unsuccessfully for the past 10 years. His league by and large are made of men from under privileged backgrounds who come into the league with a host of issues. I have said in the past that the NFL should get involved with many of its prospects BEFORE they are drafted. Get to them in college even in high school and begin providing the support they need to make it in the NFL where everything they do is blown up for everyone to see.

I think what Tony Dungy did for Michael Vick being a mentor for him after jail is what all NFL teams should do for its incoming rookies. Give them someone to guide them right from day one. Goodness knows the NFL has the money and resources to do it.

Dope

I think what Tony Dungy did for Michael Vick being a mentor for him after jail is what all NFL teams should do for its incoming rookies. Give them someone to guide them right from day one. Goodness knows the NFL has the money and resources to do it.
they do this already

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OSLw2ddpM7U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You're right of course. At the same time, I don't want him driving drunk and killing someone on our watch.
I have to think his license was pulled for not taking the Breathalyzer on the spot so IF he drives he is a freaking idiot. I have to also think the Patriots are keeping an assistant of some type with him at all times to make sure he is not repeating his past mistakes.

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 AM ----------

those mean streets of San Mateo, CA are rough and scary

How do you know that "very few" have "male role models of any kind"?

In fact, you don't know that because no such statistics have ever been compiled. You are offering your opinion on the matter yet you present it as fact.

This serves as an example of why you tend to get into issues around here despite being a solid poster who makes a lot of good points (imo). Word to the wise.

How do you know that "very few" have "male role models of any kind"?

In fact, you don't know that because no such statistics have ever been compiled. You are offering your opinion on the matter yet you present it as fact.

This serves as an example of why you tend to get into issues around here despite being a solid poster who makes a lot of good points (imo). Word to the wise.

The topic has been analyzed and written about ad nauseam. It is not my opinion at all. Here is just one example but there are hundreds more on the NFL's demographics as it relates to the issues facing the league in regards to gun violence, DV and substance abuse, http://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...lence-arrests-aaron-hernandez-column/2772713/

There's a difference between stereotyping and profiling. One looks at the overall group, demographics if you will. The other assumes that all members of the group have those behaviors seen in most of the group.

Just my opinion, but I don't think it is possible NOT notice that certain ethnic/geographic/political/religious/whatever groups have some attitudes and behaviors in common. As a group entity, the attitudes toward women in Saudi Arabia are not the same as attitudes toward women in Iceland. If you were given a group of a hundred men from Boston picked randomly and a hundred men from Delonega, Georgia picked randomly, after just listening to them speak you couldn't tell which group hailed from where?

It is when you start to attribute group behaviors/attitudes to an individual in a group.

Men are in general stronger than women. But not each and every one.

I'm not disagreeing but clearly the NBA is blacker - not sure what DV stands for here. I doubt that substance abuse is worse in the NFL than the NBA, but I really don't know. It's possible both is worse than the general population, but I don't know.

If we accept what Gary Bauer says in the editorial, about "DV" in the NFL then it would seem to be an indictment of football, the sport itself. There is no way that the NBA doesn't have more players from broken homes than the NFL.

I can believe it: a sport where people get amped up to hit each other would tend to have higher incidence of "DV" than other less violent sports.

This dude is really fortunate that he's not facing either a vehicular homicide charge or that his family isn't in mourning right before the holiday. He can learn from this and get his act together or not. If not, he's not going to be around this team or the league for long.

Back