Pats claim Floyd off waivers

From Mike R.

A few thoughts/notes on wide receiver Michael Floyd, his DUI arrest, and his place on the New England Patriots:NFL discipline, and a court decision, will come in 2017. If Floyd is convicted of DUI charges, he could face jail time in Arizona. His first scheduled court appearance is Feb. 24. Thus, any legal ruling won’t come until after the 2016 season and ensuing playoffs. NFL discipline wouldn’t come until after that as well, so Floyd will be available to play for the club until then, possibly as early as Saturday against the New York Jets.
http://www.espn.com/blog/new-englan...l-come-in-2017-could-make-pats-debut-saturday

I firmly believe that if a person has been caught once, they've probably done it many more times. I LOATHE OUI, just LOATHE it, it is 100% preventable. It's akin to me to waving a loaded gun around in public.

That said, I am all for second chances for things that don't materially harm other living beings so if a person has one DUI, provided they have not harmed another person along with that DUI, I am fine with its serving as a wake up call ,and if they clean it up from then on, I could be ok with it.

This guy does not fit that criterium as it is not his first time. I hate this signing, and I do not care a damn what he does for the team.

Respectable position.

Probably, but that's the thing. You don't have to have been caught even once to have driven drunk many times. The problem people IMO are those who get caught once and then a second time. Or more.

It's a tough call. Behavior is unacceptable, but there are urges alcoholics and addicts feel that normal people can't understand. I try to separate judging the behavior from judging the person's character and that it's never too late to turn it around. Too late for consequences, of course, but not for the person.

A friend went to rehab a number of times, was jailed at Bridgewater twice, and I gave up on him. Wondered why he bothered going to rehab the tenth or twelfth time, but that last one took and it was almost 20 years the last time I saw him.

I hope he gets himself straight and I agree with Chris Carter: he's better off on a team than out by himself.
I agree with you about all what you wrote but need to add to the bolded part.

In this case he is better off, he is a millionaire with assets and the ability to continue on his drinking ways, the structure and accountability is needed.

Having helped a several people kick/try to kick different addictions I can say it does reach a "tough Love" stage where you need to walk away as you had to with your friend. I am not sure of his (your friend) financial situation but I have to assume he was not on 13th pick in the NFL draft well off.

In my experience I have watched it work on 1st trip into rehab (I can give your the persons dated od clarity (8-8-1988) and I have watched someone spend 21 days out of 365 days not in some sort of combination of rehab, detox, and/or holding facility. They still did not get it. Tough love was needed at that point to help them reach bottom.

We are a now a few year later and still active, still using their vise, Not everyone has a bottom, sadly. sometimes you are just forced to watch from afar and let them continue their spiral out of control.

I hope this guy can get himself the help it appears he needs.

on a side his 0.217 BAC and his inability to function in the video is shocking and it is also low compared to 0.46 high I witnessed as the person spoke like only 2 drinks deep while telling the nurses all the different meds they take upon entrance to another detox. the high 0.3's were the norm and very few pass-out, a lot of black out but few pass-outs.

I also like to think we do not know if Floyd was in a program with the Cardinals and the deal was - slip up and you get cut. Maybe he was sober for an extended period of time and slipped up that night - we do not know. IT happens in sobriety.

I have to believe with Honey Badger the team is doing the right thing by keeping booze out of the flights and locker room for him, anyone else who can't drink and at the time possibly Floyd.

ESPN are stirring the s**t asking if BB saw the TMZ video or not before taking him.

I don't understand what the video has to do with it and why it's a much bigger issue now that there's video available. The circumstances of Floyd's arrest remain unchanged. Other than stirring the anti-Pats pot what difference does it make?

It's the same with domestic violence issues, somehow it's not as bad if the incidents weren't captured on video but once a video gets out the matter goes from ho hum to WTF! It's laughable.

Belichick knew what the charges were and the circumstances of the arrest before claiming this guy; he didn't need to see the video to make the call he made.

I don't understand what the video has to do with it and why it's a much bigger issue now that there's video available. The circumstances of Floyd's arrest remain unchanged. Other than stirring the anti-Pats pot what difference does it make?

It's the same with domestic violence issues, somehow it's not as bad if the incidents weren't captured on video but once a video gets out the matter goes from ho hum to WTF! It's laughable.

Belichick knew what the charges were and the circumstances of the arrest before claiming this guy; he didn't need to see the video to make the call he made.

I agree but a point was made, IF AP was captured beating his kid would he be in the NFL today?

or if that asshat tossing his GF on the couch of weapons beating her, Would Hardy have gotten another chance?

I agree with you but it seems it is like the tooth fairy, if I can not see him/her with my own eyes then they do not exist. in this case the crime is justified until the video shows his levels of incoherency - it shouldn't matter but it appears to - makes great 10 second clips for the Mtv Generation.

It's especially pathetic with so much fake and ginned up crap that's filmed/put online as real thst people's seeing a video would have this effect.

In America, if it's not on camera, it's not real.

We are conditioned to only respond to video. That's why we respond to video so viscerally compared to anything else...words, articles, or whatever. That's all abstract arcana to us. Only video can affect us emotionally.

Most seem to be saying Floyd will play vs the Jets which is awesome. I am anxious to see this guy in our offense and where we line him up and in what sets.

Agreed 100%.

People make mistakes.

It's what they do next that defines them.
Hopefully he'll grasp this opportunity he's been given and the program provided by the Patriots works for him.

Let's see what he makes of his life now.

Floyd spoke to the media today:

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports...-makes-mistakes-grateful-to-be-with-patriots/

By Ryan Hannable

FOXBORO — For the first time since his DUI arrest last week, Michael Floyd spoke to the media Thursday afternoon in front of his locker in the Patriots locker room.

Floyd was arrested early last Monday morning after falling asleep at the wheel at 3 a.m. in Scottsdale, Arizona. After taking a blood test he had a BAC level of .217. The Cardinals released him on Wednesday and the Patriots claimed him the next day.

The receiver was inactive last weekend, but traveled to Denver with the team to help learn the offense more quickly.

“I think in life everyone makes mistakes,” Floyd said. “I think right now it is about learning about that mistake. I couldn’t be in a better position right now with this team. The guys that they have around here are keeping me focused and working hard.”

Added Floyd: “I understand what happened last week is last week. I am excited about my opportunity to be here, just being a Patriot. Great group of guys. Great group of coaches. Great organization.”

Floyd said he has not seen the video and was asked directly why he drove in the state he was in.

“It’s a choice,” he said. “That’s all I can do is learn from that and move forward.”

Cardinals president Michael Bidwell said last week he was disappointed in the lack of remorse he showed in the days after what took place. Floyd responded.

“I love that organization,” he said. “Mr. Bidwell treated me very well. I really don’t have too big of a comment [on him] saying that. Right now, like I said, I’m glad I’m here. I’m in a good place right now – mentally. These guys brought me in as family and I’m excited to be here.”

Now, Floyd is a member of the Patriots who are AFC East champions and now looking for the AFC’s No. 1 seed. The Notre Dame product is grateful for the opportunity he’s been given.

“I am excited,” he said. “I couldn’t be in a better place. Being on a different team you see how they do things and how they go hard and how they win all the time. I am grateful to be here on a winning team.”

Agreed 100%.

People make mistakes.

It's what they do next that defines them.
Hopefully he'll grasp this opportunity he's been given and the program provided by the Patriots works for him.

Let's see what he makes of his life now.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/news/story?id=6242523

What he did after his first one was do it again.
Then again, then again, last one in college was twice the legal limit I believe.
What he did THIS TIME was drive EVEN DRUNKER than he did before.
Nope, he gets no benefit of the doubt from me. I don't follow college ball so I thought this was #2, which is bad enough. Once I looked it up I found this
#NOPE

Nope, he gets no benefit of the doubt from me.

No need to be concerned. The Pats picked him up, so he will be put on the commissioner's exempt list sometime Friday.

Because INTEGRITY.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/news/story?id=6242523

What he did after his first one was do it again.
Then again, then again, last one in college was twice the legal limit I believe.
Nope, he gets no benefit of the doubt from me. I don't follow college ball so I thought this was #2, which is bad enough. Once I looked it up I found this
#NOPE

Well technically he was not driving, when they found him he was passed out.:coffee:

I firmly believe that if a person has been caught once, they've probably done it many more times. I LOATHE OUI, just LOATHE it, it is 100% preventable. It's akin to me to waving a loaded gun around in public.

Agree 100%

That said, I am all for second chances for things that don't materially harm other living beings so if a person has one DUI, provided they have not harmed another person along with that DUI, I am fine with its serving as a wake up call ,and if they clean it up from then on, I could be ok with it.

This guy does not fit that criterium as it is not his first time. I hate this signing, and I do not care a damn what he does for the team.

Part ways with you here. This is sports. If he helps the team, good, if not, bad. I don't pretend the players on the field are all choir boys. :shrug:

@tommy,
i am not feeling like that because i think they should all be choirboys. like any other workplace, there are good and not so good guys. i just think there is no trusting a guy like that, football wise either. that said, bb had freaking haynesworth there too. sometimes, there are guys on the team i don't like to root for. but I'm always a pats fan.

I'm sorry but, in this NFL culture of woman abuse, heavy drug abuse, murder, et cetera, I just can't get worked up over "plain old" drunk driving, which many of us--albeit stupidly--have done. And I do give the moron some credit for at least pulling over and not actually driving. The Pats picked him up to kick the tires and see a) if he can still play and b) if he can be a good citizen. If he's both, they'll give him a decent 1-year deal to come back and prove to the league that he's legit, and then they'll part ways at the end of 2018 and he can go get himself a nice big contract somewhere. If he can't play or can't grow up, then they'll cut bait after this year, chalk up the money they paid him to a lesson learned, move on, and he'll be out of the NFL.

I'm sorry but, in this NFL culture of woman abuse, heavy drug abuse, murder, et cetera, I just can't get worked up over "plain old" drunk driving, which many of us--albeit stupidly--have done. And I do give the moron some credit for at least pulling over and not actually driving. The Pats picked him up to kick the tires and see a) if he can still play and b) if he can be a good citizen. If he's both, they'll give him a decent 1-year deal to come back and prove to the league that he's legit, and then they'll part ways at the end of 2018 and he can go get himself a nice big contract somewhere. If he can't play or can't grow up, then they'll cut bait after this year, chalk up the money they paid him to a lesson learned, move on, and he'll be out of the NFL.

The trouble is he was actually driving and stopped for a traffic light, and while stopped he passed out. Watching the video the cop asks him a half dozen times to put the vehicle in park and turn off the engine. It wasn't like he had pulled over into a parking lot or even off the road.

I think you're confusing the truth (what you said) with media hype (generating clicks and ratings).

popcorn

Back