Pats FA thread

What it's like on the first day for a newly signed player walking into Gillette the first time.

Nice read, the culture in Foxboro suits some players and it doesn't to others, and that's just fine. We're all different. If the style suits you, it's such a great match. You just know the kind of players who fit seamlessly into the Patriot way. HT, Chung, White, Slater, Jules, Brady, DMac, Wilfork, Andrews, the list goes on. All really good people with a firm team-first mentality and some intelligence.

Godchaux:

“Big Vince Wilfork, can’t take for granted what he has done for this program and what he has done for the NFL in general. He dominated the game at that position. So, hopefully God blessed me to do the same, to dominate this game at that position. He’s one of the guys that I looked up to when I talk about striking them with your hands and things like that. He dominated that”, he said about Wilfork.

“I actually got to spend some time with him in South Florida — I think he has a house in South Florida. When I was training down there I actually got to spend some time with him. If I need to reach out to him, I can reach out to him. I have his number. He’s kind of like a mentor to me if I need to reach out to him with some things in this position, which is nose tackle.”
Yes, big man. Go see Vince. Spend a lot of time with him.

Godchaux:

“Big Vince Wilfork, can’t take for granted what he has done for this program and what he has done for the NFL in general. He dominated the game at that position. So, hopefully God blessed me to do the same, to dominate this game at that position. He’s one of the guys that I looked up to when I talk about striking them with your hands and things like that. He dominated that”, he said about Wilfork.

“I actually got to spend some time with him in South Florida — I think he has a house in South Florida. When I was training down there I actually got to spend some time with him. If I need to reach out to him, I can reach out to him. I have his number. He’s kind of like a mentor to me if I need to reach out to him with some things in this position, which is nose tackle.”
Yes, big man. Go see Vince. Spend a lot of time with him.
Damn right, Vince was one of the all-time great Patriots without question. He dominated games at times.

NFL free agency wins, losses and questions for all 32 teams: Execs on Pats and Giants’ spending, Bucs’ strategy, more

New England Patriots

There are a couple ways to evaluate the Patriots’ expensive dive into free agency. We’ll begin with a harsh, narrative-busting take contending that, after two decades of dominance with Tom Brady behind center, the Patriots became just another team in 2020, and that’s what they remain. This view holds that the transformation from elite power to also-ran continued over the past month as New England made a strong push for winning the offseason, just like so many other teams that never produced a sustained winner that way.

“It doesn’t matter if you have Bill Belichick, Andy Reid or any other great coach,” an exec said. “When you lose Tom Brady, you scramble to get the same crap everybody else gets. Your hit rate in free agency falls, and unless you find that next QB, you are going to be looking back at them in a year saying, ‘I can’t believe they spent all that money on that guy.’ ”

This buzzkill analysis wasn’t the majority view. Outside the league, pundits generally applauded as the Patriots made a series of aggressive moves. There were even suggestions this spree was part of a Belichickian zig-when-others-zag strategy to invest heavily when other teams lacked the cap flexibility to procure expensive talent. That sort of analysis is hard to disprove when a team wins 75 percent of its games year after year. Is it fantasy now?

“Just because Bill had a down year last year without Brady doesn’t make Bill a bad coach,” an exec said. “Bill is still as good a football coach as anyone that’s probably ever coached a game. They had a lot of opt-outs. Every team goes through a transition. They just happened to not go through one for 20 years, where every other team goes through one every four or five years.”

Multiple execs approved as the Patriots signed four free agents to deals worth between $11 million and $13.625 million per year, plus four others in the $5 million to $7.5 million range. Matt Judon, Jonnu Smith, Hunter Henry, Nelson Agholor, Davon Godchaux, Jalen Mills, Kyle Van Noy and Kendrick Bourne surely will upgrade the talent base.

“New England was good,” an evaluator said. “It cost a lot of money, but they had to do something to try to turn it around there. I put the Giants in the same category. They spent too much money relative to what they acquired, but they needed to acquire what they acquired.”

Others liked the Patriots’ emphasis on tight ends, who add versatility at prices more reasonable than what teams frequently pay for wide receivers.

“New England got a lot of good players,” an exec said. “They got the two best tight ends on the market. They got a good receiver in Bourne, maybe overpaid for Agholor. You wish they had a better quarterback — maybe they get one in the draft, maybe they get Jimmy Garoppolo, who knows? At least they have talented players now. Last year, they had just nothing.”

NFL free agency wins, losses and questions for all 32 teams: Execs on Pats and Giants’ spending, Bucs’ strategy, more

New England Patriots

There are a couple ways to evaluate the Patriots’ expensive dive into free agency. We’ll begin with a harsh, narrative-busting take contending that, after two decades of dominance with Tom Brady behind center, the Patriots became just another team in 2020, and that’s what they remain. This view holds that the transformation from elite power to also-ran continued over the past month as New England made a strong push for winning the offseason, just like so many other teams that never produced a sustained winner that way.

“It doesn’t matter if you have Bill Belichick, Andy Reid or any other great coach,” an exec said. “When you lose Tom Brady, you scramble to get the same crap everybody else gets. Your hit rate in free agency falls, and unless you find that next QB, you are going to be looking back at them in a year saying, ‘I can’t believe they spent all that money on that guy.’ ”

This buzzkill analysis wasn’t the majority view. Outside the league, pundits generally applauded as the Patriots made a series of aggressive moves. There were even suggestions this spree was part of a Belichickian zig-when-others-zag strategy to invest heavily when other teams lacked the cap flexibility to procure expensive talent. That sort of analysis is hard to disprove when a team wins 75 percent of its games year after year. Is it fantasy now?

“Just because Bill had a down year last year without Brady doesn’t make Bill a bad coach,” an exec said. “Bill is still as good a football coach as anyone that’s probably ever coached a game. They had a lot of opt-outs. Every team goes through a transition. They just happened to not go through one for 20 years, where every other team goes through one every four or five years.”

Multiple execs approved as the Patriots signed four free agents to deals worth between $11 million and $13.625 million per year, plus four others in the $5 million to $7.5 million range. Matt Judon, Jonnu Smith, Hunter Henry, Nelson Agholor, Davon Godchaux, Jalen Mills, Kyle Van Noy and Kendrick Bourne surely will upgrade the talent base.

“New England was good,” an evaluator said. “It cost a lot of money, but they had to do something to try to turn it around there. I put the Giants in the same category. They spent too much money relative to what they acquired, but they needed to acquire what they acquired.”

Others liked the Patriots’ emphasis on tight ends, who add versatility at prices more reasonable than what teams frequently pay for wide receivers.

“New England got a lot of good players,” an exec said. “They got the two best tight ends on the market. They got a good receiver in Bourne, maybe overpaid for Agholor. You wish they had a better quarterback — maybe they get one in the draft, maybe they get Jimmy Garoppolo, who knows? At least they have talented players now. Last year, they had just nothing.”

Mike Sando is a former ESPN writer so he's naturally biased against the Pats. However, he criticizes other teams even more for losing talent or standing pat with who they have.
Time will tell how BB did in FA; no one knows a damn thing til the games begin. That's obvious from the widely diverging opinions as to BB's FA signings. Frankly I trust BB far more than any exec who'd give their time to Sando.

It's too long an article to copy/paste here so here's the link:

I can't blame BB for addressing the Pats needs. Some of the signs were questionable, but, most of them were logical though.

It’s not that BB did bad this FA period. He had to make those moves, and they will keep the team around .500

It’s that it’s average. It’s not going to get this team to win the division, or a playoff game by itself. He’s got to knock the next two drafts out of the park to get this team back in contention.

Y’all are joking about him collecting 40 JAG LBs and safeties. I don’t think it’s funny. The offense is going to average about 18 to 21 points a game next year. Cam is so bad your not even going to be able to develop skill players in the system your running with him.

It’s not that BB did bad this FA period. He had to make those moves, and they will keep the team around .500

It’s that it’s average. It’s not going to get this team to win the division, or a playoff game by itself. He’s got to knock the next two drafts out of the park to get this team back in contention.

Y’all are joking about him collecting 40 JAG LBs and safeties. I don’t think it’s funny. The offense is going to average about 18 to 21 points a game next year. Cam is so bad your not even going to be able to develop skill players in the system your running with him.

LOL.

Such hatred. It’s a bit sad, really.
The team was a .500 team last season, by and large.

And these additions do nothing?

Just pure hatred. Move along, please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Its Just another Fair weather fan. He can stop pretending to be a patriots fan. Its been nothing But F BB posts.

If BB believes he is plan A and our Qb for the next 5 years than give up 15. I don't want that but I am all in to upgrade the position. BB believes Jimmy is an upgrade and a significant one. Fire the bullet and go get him. $25 mil is not a lot for a starter QB you believe can win.

We just got all those FAs who will flounder with Cam. Jimmy will run the offense the way it's supposed to be run.

Back