Pats rumored to be after greg olsen

patsin??

Vengence Tour '09
Reaction score
According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's Greg Bedard, the loudest Combine chatter of late has been that Bears TE Greg Olsen is on the block.
One rumor making the rounds had Olsen going to the Pats for one of the team's three second-round picks. Olsen's skills are a poor fit for Mike Martz's offense and the Bears don't have an early-round pick this year, so the chatter makes sense on the surface. The Bears could then pursue Brandon Manumaleuna as a blocking tight end.
Source: Greg Bedard on Twitter

per rotoworld.com

Tight end....do they have those things on this team...can he block and or rush the passer?

Yay, let's trade more draft picks for TE's so we can cut them at the end of camp.

Yay, let's trade more draft picks for TE's so we can cut them at the end of camp.
Just a different variation of drafting them and then trading them for a 7th rounder...a la Dave Thomas, who was more useful than any TE on the Pats roster last year but somehow couldn't make the team.

Just a different variation of drafting them and then trading them for a 7th rounder...a la Dave Thomas, who was more useful than any TE on the Pats roster last year but somehow couldn't make the team.

And now has a ring.

Not sure he was a blocker which is what the pats usually like.

This would be EPIC.FAIL.

Right before BB dials the last digit to Chicago someone in that War Room needs to step to the plate for the good of the team and absolutley dope-slap him upside teh back 'o teh head!

Not sure he was a blocker which is what the pats usually like.

With two or three TEs on the roster, the Pats can afford to have different kinds of TEs. When they drafted Thomas, they had to know that he was more of a HB/receiver type than a pure TE.

I wouldn't be opposed to this for the right price (4th maybe?). Cheaper than Watson, though I don't know the contract situation, and definitely talented.

He's a prime candidate for a TE who might just need a change of scenery. I dunno.

This would be EPIC.FAIL.

Right before BB dials the last digit to Chicago someone in that War Room needs to step to the plate for the good of the team and absolutley dope-slap him upside teh back 'o teh head!
I respect your opinion a bunch...wonder why you feel this way? I think Olsen has some skills. I wouldn't mind this trade I don't think if they don't give up their #1.

I honestly think that Olsen is a decent TE who has had crap for QBs throwing to him, and perhaps has been a victim of a more run-based offense.

Olsen was productive when he had bad QBs throwing to him.

He's better than Baker, and is an upgrade at this point.

I honestly think that Olsen is a decent TE who has had crap for QBs throwing to him, and perhaps has been a victim of a more run-based offense.

Olsen was productive when he had bad QBs throwing to him.

He's better than Baker, and is an upgrade at this point.

I think that Olsen is much better then a decent TE and for the right price would be a good get for the Patriots. He was drafted in the 1st round and he has gotten increasingly better each year he has played in the NFL. Last year he played in 16 games (starting in 15), had 60 catches for 612 yards, and had 8 TD catches. Just in case you are wondering, those totals are better then Watson and Baker.....combined. Imagine if Olson had Brady throwing to him as well as some decent wide receivers on his team.
The only down side I see is that he's in the 4th year of a 5 year contract. If you can extend him another two years I think he is well worth a second round pick.

Well, Anderson, if Brady breaks out of that bad habit from last year, Olsen could be VERY useful.

I honestly think that Watson did nothing wrong last year. Hell, he made two great catches to help beat the Jets.

Brady made a nasty habit last year of depending on Welker/Moss. He got away from his old "throw to whoever's open" tactic.

I respect your opinion a bunch...wonder why you feel this way? I think Olsen has some skills. I wouldn't mind this trade I don't think if they don't give up their #1.

Thanks.

But this:

One rumor making the rounds had Olsen going to the Pats for one of the team's three second-round picks.

A. I don't want to give up picks in a draft as deep as this.

B. We spent a #1 on Watson, and good scratch on Baker as a FA and don't throw to either.

C. I am of the belief not much is going to change philosophically with the Offense, and even if Coates in his prime were to appear he just wouldn't get many balls.

D. That being said, I think we could target a TE to function the way we need in this Offense in Rnds 5-7.

Too many holes right now to spend a fine #2 on a superfluous position we just don't utilize, other than max-protect.

The failure here is to assume that Brady would throw to him.

I think that if Welker isn't available in the beginning of the year, he would get plenty of opportunities.

Also since we seem to struggle in the red zone:

Red zone offense (based on TD percentage)
22nd (23 of 48, 47.9 percent)

http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/archive/index.php/t-51894.html

It would seem that having a "good hands" TE who can get open and score TDs might help the red zone offense.

Well, Anderson, if Brady breaks out of that bad habit from last year, Olsen could be VERY useful.

I honestly think that Watson did nothing wrong last year. Hell, he made two great catches to help beat the Jets.

Brady made a nasty habit last year of depending on Welker/Moss. He got away from his old "throw to whoever's open" tactic.

I am all for getting our TE's more involved in the passing game and I think Greg Olsen is a good player. But in my opinion it's not good sense to throw a first round pick after a player who might end up a glorified lineman.

Watson, as you said, didn't really do anything wrong. He started the season pretty strong and didn't show his usual stone-hands - for which he was promoted to OL (as I've said before).

So would a deal for Olsen make sense? Sure enough if we were sure that the Tight End would be more involved in the passing game - but at this stage I am not sure we will and I'm not sure Olsen would provide enough additional value if we don't.

Back