Pats vs. Rams: Official Game Thread

In case you guys missed it or want to watch it again.

It literally gave me goosebumps.

http://www.patriots.com/video/2016/12/04/2001-super-bowl-champions-halftime-ceremony

Thank you! I teared up watching the highlights of that team. Such a magical season. Everyone contributing. Loved how they had Summerall's voice pumped in from the SB to introduce the team. That was the best moment of that year IMO in terms of the Patriot Way - team first even
at the SB. :patriotlogo:

I had forgotten about Stevens motorcycle accident.

What a group, what a team, what a fun time that was.

I kind of miss the way things were then, when we knew we had something special but also knew the team was kind of Schleptrock'd all the time.

That was awesome. Kraft is great at that, keeping the history alive and making the connectio nfrom then to now. Very important and just cements the team's place with it's fans.

That was awesome. Kraft is great at that, keeping the history alive and making the connectio nfrom then to now. Very important and just cements the team's place with it's fans.

Kraft has taken plenty of crap over Goodell/D-gate, but there are a lot of things he does right (and better than most owners), and this was one of them.

That was a helluva play when James White outjumped 3 bigger Rams players for the tipped ball. Wow, kid has some ups.

Cy61DgEUoAAHc9y.jpg

I kind of miss the way things were then, when we knew we had something special but also knew the team was kind of Schleptrock'd all the time.

Sorry, Dr. Mikie, I must'a been absent the day we talked about Schleptrocking. I did do my due diligence and used the interwebby thing you keep talking about to look it up. I'm sorry to admit failure in my quest, as the word you used, "Schleptrock", doesn't seem to exist on the interwebby. It must come from one of the fascinating and deeply haunting fables you have shared with us in class in order to better us as human beings.

However, the word "Schleprock" does show up, and if this is the word you intended to show up, but one of your beautiful yet typing mistake prone interns misspelled, there are several non-conclusive definitions.
One is the name of a band, another is the name of a Flintstones character I'd never heard of, and another is a derogatory Irish term.

Could you please enlighten me to the correct definition of this most interesting term?

Schleprock was a Character on the Flintstones show that had Pebbles and Bamm Bamm all grown up. Schleprock was a dude that whenever he came around things around him started to **** up. Here he is, in all his glory.

A couple of things:

* The ref that missed the facemask penalty against Blount should be fired. He was 4 feet away from it and was looking right at it. It appeared to me that Blount sort of roughed up the defender by landing on him with his knees, but a facemask is a facemask and you can't make that sort of "frontier justice" call. It's it a facemask you throw the fvcking flag period.

* I certainly hope that Hightower isn't badly hurt, but his brief absence from the lineup allowed Kyle Van Noy to get some snaps in the middle, which is a show of confidence for a guy that has only been around about a month. I watched Van Noy following a running play to the edge and he figured out where the cut was coming and hunted it down decisively. I noticed a couple of plays like that. About the only thing I don't like about him is that he isn't the world's most physical LB, but his overall skill level is impressive and his INT was a really fine play. Pity we didn't get to see his return skills, because at BYU he made several really incredible pick 6 runbacks. Dude can really run. I predict we will see another before this season is done.

* "Gurley II" -- the sequel wasn't nearly the smash hit the original was. I don't think this film is going to end up being a franchise. I find his terrible play this season to be gratifying after watching him act like an entitled superstar in Hard Knocks. He looks useless and his effort is highly suspect.

* I don't know how many catchable passes LA dropped yesterday, but it had to be about 8. Having said that, the overall One draft pick didn't look terrific yesterday. Not much zip on the ball or poise in the pocket and his accuracy wasn't real impressive. It was apparent that the Pats weren't reluctant to use pressure yesterday, which is always welcomed. I think we can rush the QB a lot better than people think.

* I've watched Aaron Donald a couple of times recently and he looked like the best DL in football. Extremely impressive and disruptive. However, you barely noticed him yesterday and he was credited with a couple of tackles. In particular, I thought Joe Thuney played an excellent game yesterday despite getting his 7th flag (ticky-tack holding call) of the season, but the whole OL played solidly. One running play targeted Dominique Easley as Shaq Mason hammered him and Cannon down-blocked and just wiped him off his feet leaving a huge hole. I don't think we miss him much.

* I keep trying to make this point, but feel like I'm not really able to articulate it properly, but watching Seattle just pole-axeing Carolina last night in the first half it appeared to me like they were really trying to bury them with a last-minute possession. Like, the more points the better, which is the norm in the league.

The Pats appeared quite the opposite to me and we seemed conservative/content when we got just a couple of scores up. Just business as usual playing field position and grinding the clock down. What I'm trying to say is that Belichick doesn't particularly care about blowing people out even though I believe we could have scored 40 plus yesterday if that was what we wanted to do. I heard comments to the effect that our offense looked "out of synch" at times, but I thought we could have wiped the field with them if not for Bill's finger on the scale. The question is whether we can roll up big numbers when we really need them against a team that can also score big. Yesterday was like shooting fish in a barrel.

* It was nice to see Malcolm Mitchell getting 8 catches on 10 targets yesterday and the 2 incompletions were both drops. He was open all night, but against LA's D everybody was with the exception that they had the quick outs covered all night. Their DBs were not really good, particularly Michael Jordan who I think featured prominently in our game play based on how often he was targeted. Mitchell really gives an effort as a blocker and is pretty effective at it as well. I wonder if he can run back kicks, because I think we've seen enough of Cyrus Jones to last us.

I don't give a fat rat's ass how Johnny Hekker kicks-- it's was unreal to think this guy still can't look a kick into his hands after all the issues he's had with repeated chances to get it right. I think that was likely his last chance.

Sorry, Dr. Mikie, I must'a been absent the day we talked about Schleptrocking. I did do my due diligence and used the interwebby thing you keep talking about to look it up. I'm sorry to admit failure in my quest, as the word you used, "Schleptrock", doesn't seem to exist on the interwebby. It must come from one of the fascinating and deeply haunting fables you have shared with us in class in order to better us as human beings.

However, the word "Schleprock" does show up, and if this is the word you intended to show up, but one of your beautiful yet typing mistake prone interns misspelled, there are several non-conclusive definitions.
One is the name of a band, another is the name of a Flintstones character I'd never heard of, and another is a derogatory Irish term.

Could you please enlighten me to the correct definition of this most interesting term?
Flintstone Character of course, kind of always followed by a cloud of doubt, what could go wrong next - -Glum is another example I will use, one with a much easier spelling.

I dont know if the pats are holding something back, but the run everytime on second down is going to kill us at some point. First they all know we are going to do it, second, when you are 2 and 10 I have yet to see anything go past a yard. Also can someone please tell blount to just get the ball and go forward, the feeling your way down the line thing does not work. Its like he has one big one and then 15 for a yard. We just get in a ton of 3rd and long lately. Maybe Im wrong

Full game, condensed:

<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_0SmtX8MuQqaEE3REFfSFZFdDA/preview" width="640" height="480"></iframe>

I dont know if the pats are holding something back, but the run everytime on second down is going to kill us at some point. First they all know we are going to do it, second, when you are 2 and 10 I have yet to see anything go past a yard. Also can someone please tell blount to just get the ball and go forward, the feeling your way down the line thing does not work. Its like he has one big one and then 15 for a yard. We just get in a ton of 3rd and long lately. Maybe Im wrong

I'd rather they run on second down every time, than on 1st down every time, which they did the whole time Brady was out. :coffee:

Rams CB Trumaine Johnson was fined $18,231 for his facemask on Blount that wasn't penalized. The ref should have been fined, too, imo. It was a blatant face mask and the ref was right there looking at it.

Rams CB Trumaine Johnson was fined $18,231 for his facemask on Blount that wasn't penalized. The ref should have been fined, too, imo. It was a blatant face mask and the ref was right there looking at it.

Was a pretty outrageous miss by the officials. It was clear as crystal.

Rams RB Todd Gurley was also fined for his chop block on DHightower that made DH leave the game momentarily. Fisher teams. :coffee:

yep it's fisher. i never blame his dcs or his players. HE is the one this shit always follows, not them.

Back