Post Your Forum Suggestions Here

Ras* on 12-20-2007 at 10:22 AM said:
Hey, JD....did you ever work in customer service in a previous life?

Can you tell?

I've worked in a liquor store, in an Electronics Boutique, in Hunt Drug (photo store north of Boston)... but the all-time fave had to be answering the info and reservation line at the Museum of Science. I'm sure I've related some of them here already, but, hey, why not...

"Hi. What are you showing in your Omni Theater?"
"ANTARCTICA and MOUNTAIN GORILLA."
"Okay. And... what are those about?"
"Umm... ANTARCTICA is about Antarctica, and MOUNTAIN GORILLA is about mountain gorillas."
"Oh, that's what I thought."

"Are you playing that Austrian movie about the sound barrier?"
"You mean the Australian movie about the Great Barrier?"
"Yeah, whatever."

"What are you showing?"
"GRAND CANYON."
"What's that?"
"It's a film about the history of the Grand Canyon."
"No... what's that?"
"What's what?"
"The Grand Canyon?"
"What's the Grand Canyon?"
"Yeah."
"It's a big hole in the ground out West."

"How do you get to the Museum from Harvard Square?"
"By car or by train?"
"Okay, thanks!" :::click:::

(new girl, second day)
"Thank you for calling the Museum of Science, how may I help you?"
:::hushed whisper::: "May I lick your breasts?"
(I told her she should've transferred it to the old lady who was the supervisor.)

(working the switchboard)
"Museum of Science switchboard."
(Operator) "Hi, I have a long distance collect call."
"Wait, we don't accept colle..." ::::click::::
::::sound of a far away fuzzy phone line:::
:::barely audible voice::: "Ehhhh.... $#&* off." :::Click:::

"Hi. I'd like to reserve tickets for today's 2:00 EVEREST with my American Express, and pay for it in cash when I get there."
"We don't do same day reservations, we don't take American Express, you can't hold them over the phone and pay cash when you come in but have to actually charge them, and the 2:00 is already sold out."
"So... what are you trying to tell me?"

:banghead:

It's too bad NR isn't still here.

He was good with newbies :rolleyes:

mrblaze on 12-20-2007 at 02:01 AM said:
This default email alert system for replies is archaic, we are not cave-men.

Also, threads with new replies should be BOLDED to separate them from older ones, it is too much work to check who replied last. Do it for us, simple web design......

So I guess you have a problem with this FREE website? Take a long walk to collect your thoughts and come back when you think you're ready.

I actually am a caveman. I know this doesnt support mrblaze's original thesis, but in the spirit of full disclosure, i thought i should say something.

Annihilus on 12-20-2007 at 11:40 AM said:
It's too bad NR isn't still here.

He was good with newbies :rolleyes:
Yeah, he was Mr Warmth.

ROFL

mrblaze on 12-19-2007 at 11:01 PM said:
This default email alert system for replies is archaic, we are not cave-men.

Also, threads with new replies should be BOLDED to separate them from older ones, it is too much work to check who replied last. Do it for us, simple web design......

I'd like to welcome you to the Planet, mrblaze. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for your brilliant, yet constructive, insight into the various flaws, as you perceive them, found within this forum software.

I know that based on your long tenure here, that you will provide a much-needed vision for future growth, user-friendliness, and improvement to our humble online abode.

I, for one, appreciate your candor, your can-do attitude, and in all sincerity, I'd like to thank you, and tell you to go **** yourself.

Thank you.

I admit, I kinda had the same reaction as JD when I first read this... WTF? A noob bustin' in here, tellin' us how to run our home?

cka203 on 12-20-2007 at 12:47 PM said:
I admit, I kinda had the same reaction as JD when I first read this... WTF? A noob bustin' in here, tellin' us how to run our home?
Well, no offense intended.

However, the reply system is a glaring flaw of web design. You've all just gotten used to it, forums are about simplicity. Being smooth.

This system is anything but smooth. I know you've all grown accustomed to looking at the little small arrows, but you shouldn't have to, a SMOOTH design is such that even a rank "noob" busting in here like me can use the software as well as someone with thousands of posts.

cka203 on 12-20-2007 at 12:47 PM said:

He also called us a bunch of racists in the Asante Samuel thread. :rolleyes:

mrblaze on 12-20-2007 at 09:55 AM said:

However, the reply system is a glaring flaw of web design. You've all just gotten used to it, forums are about simplicity. Being smooth.

This system is anything but smooth. I know you've all grown accustomed to looking at the little small arrows, but you shouldn't have to, a SMOOTH design is such that even a rank "noob" busting in here like me can use the software as well as someone with thousands of posts.

Well, you seem to be using the forum software just fine, "rank n00b".

Re: Re: Post Your Forum Suggestions Here

EasyBigFella* on 12-20-2007 at 11:44 AM said:
So I guess you have a problem with this FREE website? Take a long walk to collect your thoughts and come back when you think you're ready.
This is a poor attitude. The best forums on the net are FREE pal. I am not intending to be the sole person giving suggestions here, I just pointed out some I felt were needed. I didn't anticipate others being so hush hush , except for one poster, about something they'd like to see different aesthetically.

Believe me, the forum isn't perfect, all forums could use a little upgrade here and there, so I'm not sure why there's so much resent over a new guy pointing out some things he feels should be fixed. Maybe fresh eyes are needed because this board is relatively old in design...

Re: Re: Re: Post Your Forum Suggestions Here

mrblaze on 12-20-2007 at 12:57 PM said:
This is a poor attitude. The best forums on the net are FREE pal. I am not intending to be the sole person giving suggestions here, I just pointed out some I felt were needed. I didn't anticipate others being so hush hush , except for one poster, about something they'd like to see different aesthetically.

You don't see any irony in a "Suggestions' thread with condescending tone being started by someone who just joined and has under 20 total posts on a message board and forum that has been around a lot longer?

mrblaze on 12-20-2007 at 12:55 PM said:

listen Sparky did you read the reply from the men who's opinions matter? I think not

not harping on your opinions but the planet is hosted by a different forum and upgrades have been discussed for a couple years without any luck...go back and re-read this thread and learn a bit

Patriots4ever* on 12-20-2007 at 12:55 PM said:
He also called us a bunch of racists in the Asante Samuel thread. :rolleyes:
I was specifically referring to the guy who joked that "A$sante" needed the extra cash to "fix his grill up & get some gold teethz", you don't want to consider that a borderline racist comment then your head is in the sand.

But let's stay on topic, this is a good thread I started and it's being derailed by personal attacks and the like. Why not add some suggestions of your own?

mrblaze on 12-20-2007 at 01:01 PM said:
Why not add some suggestions of your own?
I hate change so please do not change a thing Mr Admin and the 25 Mods - Change makes me more nervous than paranoidpatriot

I was specifically referring to the guy who joked that "A$sante" needed the extra cash to "fix his grill up & get some gold teethz", you don't want to consider that a borderline racist comment then your head is in the sand.

But maybe you're new and don't really know the lay of the land yet. Why don't you hang back and read around to get a feel for the board before you make suggestions and imply racism?

But let's stay on topic, this is a good thread I started and it's being derailed by personal attacks and the like. Why not add some suggestions of your own?

Welcome to the planet.

Is yer screen name pronouced Mister Blaze or french version Mister Bla zay?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Post Your Forum Suggestions Here

Fully* Tilted* on 12-20-2007 at 12:59 PM said:
You don't see any irony in a "Suggestions' thread with condescending tone being started by someone who just joined and has under 20 total posts on a message board and forum that has been around a lot longer?
You shouldn't need to eclipse a posting benchmark in order to make software suggestions on a public board...

Even if I had, all that would possibly be different is this thread may have gone without some of the attacks being issued, my suggestion would have remained the same so why wait? I'm not concerned with anyone who doesn't like me for expressing my opinion.

mrblaze on 12-20-2007 at 10:01 AM said:

"derailed"? My ancestors used to try to derail trains that cut thru our land - what eventually became reservation land. So, are you saying that people here are acting like my ancestors? That's kind of a racist attitude, don't you think?

You should be ashamed of yourself for using such a racist loaded word.

Back