Preseason Game 4, 2016, Patriots vs. Giants

patfan64

Generally Aware
Reaction score
Sorry chevss. I know you usually start these threads.

I'm excited to be going tonight (even though it looks like it might rain.) My 13 year old is more excited. His first game.

I heard that all three QB's traveled to NY so that all will play. Can anyone confirm?

I'd like to see large doses of DJ Foster, Gaffney, Hogan and Mitchell.

Jimmy G needs to play a decent game to quiet the critics. Brissett will be fun to watch - even if it is against guys that will be PE teachers next week.

Curious to see if the domestic violence groups will be out.

I've got an extra ticket (free) if anyone wants to meet me in Trumbull, CT at 4:00 (that's when I'm leaving.) Section 106 Row 30.

All 3 QB's will be there. It's being reported that all 3 will play, although I'm not thrilled to see Brady out there. I'm guessing that JG will play the 1st quarter, Brady for a series, then the starters come out and Brissett goes for the remainder.

Brady playing in this game is insane. Absolutely zero reason for him to take snaps away from Jimmy and Jacoby while risking injury.

Brady playing in this game is insane. Absolutely zero reason for him to take snaps away from Jimmy and Jacoby while risking injury.

Completely agree.

Bill isn't shy about letting football players play football and he'll take the heat if necessary, but it would be really, really stupid to risk Brady in this game no matter what. Playing tonight isn't going to do anything to help him 5 weeks from now.

I'd say play Jimmy in the first half and if he does well give him the rest of the night off. If not, then let him try to get a rhythm going in the 2nd half and get him feeling all right for opening night.

I would like to see Brady actually talking with the other two at some point. Call it competitive juices or whatever, but he rarely interacts with Jimmy at all on the sidelines and it's about time he knocks that shit off and tries to help him out for the good of the team.

Sorry chevss. I know you usually start these threads.

I'm excited to be going tonight (even though it looks like it might rain.) My 13 year old is more excited. His first game.

I heard that all three QB's traveled to NY so that all will play. Can anyone confirm?

I'd like to see large doses of DJ Foster, Gaffney, Hogan and Mitchell.

Jimmy G needs to play a decent game to quiet the critics. Brissett will be fun to watch - even if it is against guys that will be PE teachers next week.

Curious to see if the domestic violence groups will be out.

I've got an extra ticket (free) if anyone wants to meet me in Trumbull, CT at 4:00 (that's when I'm leaving.) Section 106 Row 30.

Not a problem, my friend. I was way too busy yesterday to even think about this game.

I'm interested in Foster and Gaffney but I don't want to see much of Hogan or Mitchell tonight. I also don't want Brady out there and if the rush is getting to our QB Brissett should be the guy taking the pounding.

I want to see all our young CBs play a lot. The play of JJones, LeBlanc and Roberts tonight could determine which 1 makes the 53 and which 2 go to the PS. Jones has played well all preseason but LeBlanc is coming on strong. This is possibly the tightest positional race BB has to evaluate right now.

I also want to see Cam Fleming, Geneo Grissom, Anthony Johnson, KG-H & Ted Karras who could be playing for the last 3 roster spots. I'm pulling for KG-H, Anthony Johnson and Karras to make it. Why? Fleming is a wasted roster spot in my mind even though we may be a bit thin at OT. GGrissom's 4 ST units play can be replaced by Anthony Johnson or Flowers. That, and Johnson has shown a real desire the last 2 weeks.

I'd like Aaron Dobson out there if BB hasn't had any bites. If he doesn't play it tells me Dobson could be a goner with the Pats getting something in return. I don't want to be stuck with Dobson for 4 games til DA/TB12 come back over 1 of the 3 listed above who can play the entire year.

I want to see Blount run hard like last week for the time he's in the game and I want to see our first team OL's blocking continue to progress. Hoping to see continuous and rapid improvement so our QB doesn't get shelled and our RBs have some lanes. Scar's magic.

Mostly, I want to see no injuries.

Glad that all 3 will play. I love all chances to see Brady. I really hope Jimmy looks sharp. This is then REAL football finally.

Glad that all 3 will play. I love all chances to see Brady. I really hope Jimmy looks sharp. This is then REAL football finally.

If Brady is stealing reps, it's most likely only from Brissette. Not that I like that. If Belichick follows form (not sure of course, since JG can use all the reps he can muster) JG is one or two series at best. Bill needs to decide between Don't get your starter hurt in game 4/ give game 4 reps to the bubble boys for intense final review versus Jimmy's need for reps. That Brady will play (apparently) hints that Bill is fine w/limiting JG's exposure. :shrug:

In the end I think Tom should disappear but he disagrees. Not a big thing imo. Certainly not what it's being made out to be.

Cheers

If Brady is stealing reps, it's most likely only from Brissette. Not that I like that. If Belichick follows form (not sure of course, since JG can use all the reps he can muster) JG is one or two series at best. Bill needs to decide between Don't get your starter hurt in game 4/ give game 4 reps to the bubble boys for intense final review versus Jimmy's need for reps. That Brady will play (apparently) hints that Bill is fine w/limiting JG's exposure. :shrug:

In the end I think Tom should disappear but he disagrees. Not a big thing imo. Certainly not what it's being made out to be.

Cheers

Yeah. I don't think it is a big deal either way. Not sure if you heard Bill yesterday on the radio but he said it is important to give Brady playing time in preparation for his return in week 5 as he needs it as much as the other two. I can't imagine he plays more than 2-3 series.

In terms of Jimmy, I don't think you can worry about injury right now. He needs playing time and I would like to see him get the first half at least with Brady coming in for a few series in the second. Or maybe Brady comes in the third for a few series and then Brissett.

This preseason is unlike any other. Bill has to get all 3 guys ready and his 2 guys for the first 4 games have zero experience as a starter. I just can't criticize him for what he thinks is best at this point. He knows what he is doing better than me. Like I said, I am just happy to see Brady any chance I can. :patriotlogo:

I also want to see Cam Fleming, Geneo Grissom, Anthony Johnson, KG-H & Ted Karras who could be playing for the last 3 roster spots. I'm pulling for KG-H, Anthony Johnson and Karras to make it. Why? Fleming is a wasted roster spot in my mind even though we may be a bit thin at OT. GGrissom's 4 ST units play can be replaced by Anthony Johnson or Flowers. That, and Johnson has shown a real desire the last 2 weeks.

I suppose it is a good thing that there is real competition at almost every roster spot.

I'll mention that one thing Bill has used the last preseason game for is he will put a young player through a major test and play them the whole night to see if they can play their way on or off the roster.

He did that notably with Matt Slater when he was a rookie and played WR, DB and all STs the entire Giants game and could barely walk off the field, but acquitted himself well. That was an extreme example, but if I was looking for nominees for the Slater Memorial Gauntlet I'd list:

KGH: If Bill isn't hiding him for the PS (he didn't play much last week) then I can see him getting a lot of time to try to earn a roster spot, perhaps over Brandon King who doesn't have any positional value and made some dumb mistakes on STs this summer, notably pissing Bill off for running into Carolina's punter. He might too much of a loose cannon.

CBs: all the guys you listed. I still like Roberts a lot but want to see more of J. Jones. I don't think we need to bring in anybody else. These guys can play.

Grissom: I think he's improved but there are a bunch of edge players on this roster who might be better. His ST chops might help him stick as he is a very good athlete for his size.

Anthony Johnson: One of the biggest surprises of camp to me. I think he could be a regular rotational guy and I agree with you that he seems to really want it and shows great effort.

Derby: I don't think he's got a job yet. Could be the winner of this year's Sudfeld award for fan favorite who gets cut.

I'll stop there, but this is a very interesting game for a lot of guys.

Completely agree.

I'd say play Jimmy in the first half and if he does well give him the rest of the night off. If not, then let him try to get a rhythm going in the 2nd half and get him feeling all right for opening night.

I would like to see Brady actually talking with the other two at some point. Call it competitive juices or whatever, but he rarely interacts with Jimmy at all on the sidelines and it's about time he knocks that shit off and tries to help him out for the good of the team.

BB will probably have JG come out of the half and play the first series to get him used to winding down from the 1st half and having to crank it back up for the 2nd half. I agree about Brady being more of a mentor on the sidelines.

BB will probably have JG come out of the half and play the first series to get him used to winding down from the 1st half and having to crank it back up for the 2nd half. I agree about Brady being more of a mentor on the sidelines.

It's interesting that Brady came out with a statement about their relationship this week and he says everything is swell between them, but I didn't find that very believable. Were it not for the fact that every time you say anything that could be construed as critical of Brady, no matter how legit that may be, you end up wasting time defending yourself from people that think he is a Godlike creature and above any and all critique, then I think a lot of writers and media people would have brought up their distance.

Having said that, I have watched Brady almost totally ignore Jimmy on the sidelines during games for over a year now. It's obvious Brady wants to deal with the guy as little as he can possibly get away with when on other teams you see the starter keeping the backups in the loop by constantly discussing coverages he is seeing, etc., looking at pictures and generally acting like teammates interested in a common goal. Brady seldom even looks at Jimmy. Like he is invisible to him.

Brady might very well be the GOAT and a total leader and winner between the white lines but he is capable of behaving like a complete bitch on occasion. He needs to suck it up and move on.

It's interesting that Brady came out with a statement about their relationship this week and he says everything is swell between them, but I didn't find that very believable. Were it not for the fact that every time you say anything that could be construed as critical of Brady, no matter how legit that may be, you end up wasting time defending yourself from people that think he is a Godlike creature and above any and all critique, then I think a lot of writers and media people would have brought up their distance.

Having said that, I have watched Brady almost totally ignore Jimmy on the sidelines during games for over a year now. It's obvious Brady wants to deal with the guy as little as he can possibly get away with when on other teams you see the starter keeping the backups in the loop by constantly discussing coverages he is seeing, etc., looking at pictures and generally acting like teammates interested in a common goal. Brady seldom even looks at Jimmy. Like he is invisible to him.

Brady might very well be the GOAT and a total leader and winner between the white lines but he is capable of behaving like a complete bitch on occasion. He needs to suck it up and move on.
Jimmy G didn't sound like they were picking out socks together either. He gave the best answer when asked about Toms return saying how he is playing like it is his job, and he should.

I want him to play like he wants to take it from Tom

I'm feeling lazy. Anyone know offhand what time the game is? 7:30?

Back