Rams trade for No. 1 pick in 2016 draft

Werson Cantz

Oh stop. Wentz is the only QB worth a damn in this draft.

I don't think Fisher had to go up to 1 to get him, but they're hardly devoid of talent, and outside of the secondary, their only real need is QB.

Or, you know, he could sit at 15 and get Christian Hackenburg or whoever. who's ceiling is worse than the floor of the last two guys they had.

The problem is, Wentz isn't going to help you right away, and that's the sort of guy you trade up like this for. There isn't that guy in this draft, so it's a bit of a reach, maybe more of a bit, but outside of paying Ryan Fitzgerald franchise money somehow, this is really the only move they could have made.

Now, if they trade up to 1, and draft Jared Goff? Then it's worth 100% ridicule all the time.

But yeah, I'll take the guy who never lost, over all the QBs who have done nothing but lose.

In a game with ND St (and Wentz), vs Cal and Goff, or Memphis and Paxton Lynch, or Penn St. and Christian Hackenburg, I'm taking ND St. every time, and I'll spot you some points.

(I won't be doing that with Michigan St., not because of Connor Cook, who's got a Rick Mirer/Steve Walsh noodlearm, but because Michigan St is really, really good)

I don't think Fisher had to go up to 1 to get him, but they're hardly devoid of talent, and outside of the secondary, their only real need is QB.

Or, you know, he could sit at 15 and get Christian Hackenburg or whoever. who's ceiling is worse than the floor of the last two guys they had.

The problem is, Wentz isn't going to help you right away, and that's the sort of guy you trade up like this for. There isn't that guy in this draft, so it's a bit of a reach, maybe more of a bit, but outside of paying Ryan Fitzgerald franchise money somehow, this is really the only move they could have made.

Now, if they trade up to 1, and draft Jared Goff? Then it's worth 100% ridicule all the time.

But yeah, I'll take the guy who never lost, over all the QBs who have done nothing but lose.

In a game with ND St (and Wentz), vs Cal and Goff, or Memphis and Paxton Lynch, or Penn St. and Christian Hackenburg, I'm taking ND St. every time, and I'll spot you some points.

(I won't be doing that with Michigan St., not because of Connor Cook, who's got a Rick Mirer/Steve Walsh noodlearm, but because Michigan St is really, really good)

I don't agree but time will tell if Wentz can or cantz.

BTW, reports now have the Rams taking Goff. :shrug_n:

He should have talked to Sonny's Weaver Jr. He was a genius of draft day . Turning the 7th . Into the 1st & 6th pick.

I don't agree but time will tell if Wentz can or cantz.

BTW, reports now have the Rams taking Goff. :shrug_n:

I'll be surprised if it isn't Goff.

Not that I am wowed by what I've seen of either one of them, but LA is caving in to the desperation of making it in a market that won't give a shit about them once the sheen of newness wears off and they don't win consistently. If they don't get this right it is going to be a box office bust.

Goff is a Cali guy and so was.... Aaron Rodgers. This is more about marketing and getting a boyish leading-man type, skew to the younger demographic and brand the new franchise than it is about actually becoming competitive. Wentz is more of a John C. Reilly lumpy best buddy/supporting actor. Jared will look cooler on billboards. He's an easier sell.

Neither would have the luxury of breaking in slow if they get picked by the Rams. It's going to be a tough job out there. The pressure will be enormous and it's rare that a rookie QB deals well with this kind of scenario. Of course, they'd have to play right away in Cleveland too, but nobody would expect much in the way of wins for quite a while.

Fisher & ex Head of RI tourism. They had to get stoned together. That's a huge kings ramson. Just for #1 overall pick. Gurley is the rams only.playmaker on offense

Tavon Wilson's pretty damned playmaker-y. (He's a non-shitty version of Percy Harvin).

Kenny Britt managed not to lose his shit last year, and was pretty productive.

Jared Cook was a pretty good playmaker, although he bolted to GB after the season. Kendricks is a pretty decent player.

The OL is really solid. That offense isn't devoid of talent by any means. They need a QB. Just not Jared Goff. He sucks.

Tavon Wilson's pretty damned playmaker-y. (He's a non-shitty version of Percy Harvin).

Jared Cook was a pretty good playmaker, although he bolted to GB after the season. Kendricks is a pretty decent player.

The OL is really solid. That offense isn't devoid of talent by any means. They need a QB. Just not Jared Goff. He sucks.

You mean austin not Wilson. Wilson a backup safety for the pats . Austin more of a ST playmaker then WR. Basically it just Britt now as there best receiver.

Tavon Austin is totally misused and underutilized in that horrendous offensive scheme.

Last off season I wanted Maclin #1 and Britt #2 as FA WRs. Britt has put in 2 solid seasons in a row. He's got the talent.

They do need a franchise QB but no projected 1st rnd QB in this draft is worthy imo. Wentz has upside but he's not pro ready and won't be for 2-3 years. Goff is more pro ready now but has less upside.

Anyway, throwing rookie QBs right into the fire isn't normally the best way to bring them along - Russell Wilson being a notable recent exception. Prior to Wilson you have to go back to Roethlisberger in 2004 or even further back to Marino in '83 to find a rookie QB who was successful. Maybe RGIII qualifies for some but I discount him bc of the beatings he took wh/ led to serious injury.

2 other things to consider:
1. both Wilson and Roflberger were supported by really great defenses and Miami's defense was pretty damn good back then;
2. both Wilson and Roflsberger were handled to be mostly game managers.

Granted, Jeff Fisher loves to run the ball so that should help a rookie QB. But I still worry about any QB getting proper coaching under Fisher who absolutely ruined Vince Young's career. Here's what Fisher said last month about how he evaluates a QB.
"You have to take the mobility into consideration," Fisher said. "And then the arm strength and decision-making. You have to look and see what they did, what the body of work was. What system they played in, what they were required to do. And then, if it's not pro style, how far along are they and how far away are they, as well."

He looks at mobility first? Say what?
I guess that explains the Vince Young pick but what about the other things that great NFL QBs have in common? And then he talks about arm strength but he doesn't even mention accuracy or football IQ or ability to read a defense. This NFL game passed Fisher way back in 2002. He has no business being a HC in today's NFL. If I'm the parent of Goff or Wentz I'm pulling an Archie/Eli Manning and telling Fisher to ram it.

Tavon Austin is totally misused and underutilized in that horrendous offensive scheme.

Last off season I wanted Maclin #1 and Britt #2 as FA WRs. Britt has put in 2 solid seasons in a row. He's got the talent.

They do need a franchise QB but no projected 1st rnd QB in this draft is worthy imo. Wentz has upside but he's not pro ready and won't be for 2-3 years. Goff is more pro ready now but has less upside.

Anyway, throwing rookie QBs right into the fire isn't normally the best way to bring them along - Russell Wilson being a notable recent exception. Prior to Wilson you have to go back to Roethlisberger in 2004 or even further back to Marino in '83 to find a rookie QB who was successful. Maybe RGIII qualifies for some but I discount him bc of the beatings he took wh/ led to serious injury.

2 other things to consider:
1. both Wilson and Roflberger were supported by really great defenses and Miami's defense was pretty damn good back then;
2. both Wilson and Roflsberger were handled to be mostly game managers.

Granted, Jeff Fisher loves to run the ball so that should help a rookie QB. But I still worry about any QB getting proper coaching under Fisher who absolutely ruined Vince Young's career. Here's what Fisher said last month about how he evaluates a QB.
"You have to take the mobility into consideration," Fisher said. "And then the arm strength and decision-making. You have to look and see what they did, what the body of work was. What system they played in, what they were required to do. And then, if it's not pro style, how far along are they and how far away are they, as well."

He looks at mobility first? Say what?
I guess that explains the Vince Young pick but what about the other things that great NFL QBs have in common? And then he talks about arm strength but he doesn't even mention accuracy or football IQ or ability to read a defense. This NFL game passed Fisher way back in 2002. He has no business being a HC in today's NFL. If I'm the parent of Goff or Wentz I'm pulling an Archie/Eli Manning and telling Fisher to ram it.

I'm surprised that Fisher is still a head coach...same for Marvin Lewis.

The Rams need a good qb, and they're in the playoff hunt imo. Also a good head coach. :rolleyes:

When the #1 overall pick is not even on the active roster, behind the likes of Case Keenum & Sean Mannion, I would say the missed.:coffee:

But hey,what do I know? Jeff Fisher is an elite coach I've heard.

When the #1 overall pick is not even on the active roster, behind the likes of Case Keenum & Sean Mannion, I would say the missed.:coffee:

See the end of this post for an explanation of "The Fisher Number."

When I made the post Fisher needed two more sub-.500 seasons to raise his number to 9.

It's a year later, so now he is naturally one year closer to raising his number. :D

Meanwhile, Carson Wentz has performed so well, they traded Sam Bradford, and he is the starting QB for the Eagles.

But hey, what do I know? :coffee:

Meanwhile, Carson Wentz has performed so well, they traded Sam Bradford, and he is the starting QB for the Eagles.

But hey, what do I know? :coffee:

I'm betting on Wentz and Eagles to win this week. He looked fine to me.

Your the #1 overall pick. Had a horrible preseason. Now the 3rd strings QB .

Back