Random Football News 2022

Lamar Jackson is what most of us have thought he was...an average QB. (I've left out a lot of graphs and stats to give the meat of the study.)

w4jihnnp4yrlber0uxk5

The below graph details the direction of Jackson’s performances starting with his rookie season in the top right hand corner. He moves from a standard rookie to league MVP and proceeds to regress in the following two seasons. (The graph wouldn't paste well)
Last season turned out to be Jackson’s least successful as a professional as he missed the playoffs for the first time and was marred by injuries.

Before we address the injuries to get a sense as to how that might affect any contract negotiations, it should be stated that the number of games played was not a variable in the clustering model and so Jackson’s movement towards the lowest cluster was a measure of what he did when he was on the field. So even ignoring the injuries he sustained, this was Jackson’s most underwhelming season of his young career so far.

Although Jackson is far more elusive than [most] quarterbacks, it didn’t result in a great difference of sacks per game. The sacks also don’t account for any potential hits he may get on the run.

What is the greater concern is the trend of these sacks per game. In 2019, Jackson had 1.53 sacks per game which was only 28th highest in the league. In 2020, Jackson averaged 1.9 which was right in the middle of the pack for the league and then in 2021 he almost led the league in sacks per game.

There’s no evidence to state that Jackson’s performance is good enough to warrant pay equal to quarterbacks such as Patrick Mahomes.

Should this contract deal get signed, it is likely to be much closer to the top-end as he is not going to accept anything else.

His play, however, places him near the middle of the pack among quarterbacks.
It also doesn't help your case when you get injured and your backup is playing better than you are...but, at a fraction of your cost.

If you can't read a defense you won't have long term success in the NFL.

If you can read a defense AND run, great, but it's best to learn how to do so sparingly because NFL hits add up quickly.

If you can read a defense and have good pocket feel, you'll play a long time.

His deal, if it gets done, will end up hampering the Ravens for years just as Flacco's deal did. I can't blame the Ravens for hesitating.
Mazz thought I was nuts a year ago when I said the Ravens may not sign him to a big deal. "Mobile QBs are the wave of the future" she said.
Well, at least she's consistent. I remember her going off on Jones' lack of mobility about 2 nanoseconds after he was drafted. I figured most of her Jones draft rants (can't create plays, can't make accurate deep throws, can't make teammates better, is a product of his college WRs, etc etc) were just a reaction to "he's not Brady and Belichick is incompetent" mandatory posting template. But she does consistently roll out the mobility and dual threat thing as the future of the NFL. I love QBs who can pick up yardage with their feet going back to Fran Tarkenton, Harold Carmichael (?) and our own Steve Grogan), but being mobile is not necessary and in fact is way down my list or necessary skills like accuracy and anticipation, reading and maneuvering defenses, stuff like that.

Edit: All this said about mobility, I have no problem whatsoever with the Ravens giving a huge contract to Jackson. I'm afraid, though, that they are just smart enough to put on the brakes.

Well, at least she's consistent. I remember her going off on Jones' lack of mobility about 2 nanoseconds after he was drafted. I figured most of her Jones draft rants (can't create plays, can't make accurate deep throws, can't make teammates better, is a product of his college WRs, etc etc) were just a reaction to "he's not Brady and Belichick is incompetent" mandatory posting template. But she does consistently roll out the mobility and dual threat thing as the future of the NFL. I love QBs who can pick up yardage with their feet going back to Fran Tarkenton, Harold Carmichael (?) and our own Steve Grogan), but being mobile is not necessary and in fact is way down my list or necessary skills like accuracy and anticipation, reading and maneuvering defenses, stuff like that.

Edit: All this said about mobility, I have no problem whatsoever with the Ravens giving a huge contract to Jackson. I'm afraid, though, that they are just smart enough to put on the brakes.
The hilarious thing is that Mac Jones ran a 4.68 40 at his pro day.

I wonder how many Steelers fans will call Heinz Field its new name of Acrisure Stadium? 🍅😳🍅

Dual threat is the future. Allen is the mold. Of course a QB has to be able to read defenses as priority #1 but the ability to extend plays is also up there in terms of today's offenses. That being said, a pocket QB who can dissect defenses like Brady/Manning is always of value but rare to find.

Dual threat is the future. Allen is the mold. Of course a QB has to be able to read defenses as priority #1 but the ability to extend plays is also up there in terms of today's offenses. That being said, a pocket QB who can dissect defenses like Brady/Manning is always of value but rare to find.
You forgot this , Right from the horses mouth

View: https://youtu.be/aDta4GItTpQ

I like Mac a lot. He won't be the issue if the offense struggles this year - it will be the lack of explosive weapons and the sub par coaching.
I really think the weapons have greatly Improved, and He'll do what Brady did find the open one.
The only coaching that concerns me is Patricia/Judge who's calling things?
But I trust BB to figure it out (BB has stated for years it's not about the plays.. It's about the players)

I like Mac a lot. He won't be the issue if the offense struggles this year - it will be the lack of explosive weapons and the sub par coaching.
Forgive me if I trust Belichick more on this than I do you. :rolleyes:

BB called offensive plays in Cle at least 1 yr. think Pioli said so recently in nflta.

Parcells did with the Jets too.
I don't think this possibility is talked about nearly enough. I don't think it's likely in the modern game, but it's not impossible. I'll be very interested to see how closely Belichick is in Mac's ear during camp.

Back