Random Football News

Getting back to the TD in the HOF discussion:

Here's a side by side of two wide receivers. One is a HOFer and one is not.

WR#1
Seasons = 9
Rec = 339
Yards = 5462 (16.3 yards per reception)
TD = 51 (5.67 per season)

WR#2
Seasons = 14
Rec = 557
Yards = 10,716 (19.2 yards per reception)
TD = 72 (5.14 per season)

WR #1 is in the HOF due to his post season performances (48 rec, 907 yards and 9 TD's) WR #2 had some postseason experience (18 receptions for 302 yards and 3 TD's)

WR #2 deserves some recognition but will never get it outside New England.

Pat fans know that WR #2 is Stanley Morgan. WR #1 is Lynn Swann.

Not really the best analogy here but the disparity in numbers always ticked me off. Morgan should be in the HOF.
I agree, Morgan is a HOF WR. 19.2 YPC.

A tribute to Randy Moss on his 40th birthday today. Every TD over 40 yards by him. As a Patriots begins at 6:20

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/831292202865217539

Ian Kenyon ‏<s>@</s>IanKenyonNFL <small class="time"> 4m4 minutes ago </small>
Green Bay drafted CB-CB-CB in the 1999 draft because of Randy Moss
When your rival spends their 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks in an effort to find one guy who can stop your best player...damn

JR ‏<s>@</s>JReidDraftScout
Randy Moss was a generational talent. Teams legit feared Moss. Rice was good, but some didn't fear him like they did Randy.

What a player.....what a player.....one of the best of all time for sure. I remember reading the comments from HC football coach at the time saying he was up there all on his own as a talent, only Deion Sanders was in his league.

I mean the speed of the guy.....

From Peter King today. Here is a look at Pats potential opponents for the Sept 7 banner game. It seems that it may not be Atlanta as the league does not want to "waste" that game early in the season. He also notes that it won't be Carolina from Rivera's whining last year. That just leaves us with KC or Houston as they won't do our divisional opponents IMO. Can you imagine lousy Houston??? What a travesty. I like it though that the NFL won't get a good game from the horse poop teams we play because this league is 3/4s horse poop.

King:
On Sept. 7 in Foxboro, the Patriots will host the first game of the season. (I’m assuming it will be Roger Goodell’s re-debut in the middle of these six friendly states.) Thoughts on the Patriots’ opening-night foe, with odds:

Foe Odds Thoughts
KC 2-1 Easiest choice. Andy Reid’s team is always competitive
HOU 4-1 Playoff rematch—with a better passer, Tom Savage or Tony Romo
ATL 9-2 Can’t see NFL wasting Super Bowl rematch second year in a row
CAR 6-1 The NFL heard Ron Rivera’s anger over ’16 opener at champ Denver
MIA 10-1 Outside shot, but two one-sided games in ’16 hurt this one
LAC 20-1 Philip Rivers and a decent pass rush. Meh
BUF 50-1 Not happening
NYJ 75-1 Really not happening

Did anyone else see LAC and think Clippers?!?!

and then go, well yeah, that's kind of appropriate.

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 PM ----------

If not for those couple of years in Oakland, I doubt there's be any dispute Moss was the best receiver ever.

This post made Jerry Rice cry.

This post made Jerry Rice cry.

Sometimes it's cruel to be kind.

Really the only knock on Moss was motivation/falling into a black hole for a couple years.

With the Vikings and Pat's he was legitimately uncoverable. I saw him catch a touchdown pass in triple coverage with his elbow once.

Seriously, imagine if Randy doesn't make Canton next year?? It would be an outrage but definitely possible looking at the TO snub. Randy is better than TO, just. But there's no guarantees. The fact he's doing TV now should help as his public persona has changed. Moments like this might help as well...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">GREAT MOMENT!<br>Tom Brady's mom, Galynn gives former <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Patriot?src=hash">#Patriot</a> Randy Moss a big hug on the field after <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SuperBowl?src=hash">#SuperBowl</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/wbz?src=hash">#wbz</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/RandyMoss">@RandyMoss</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BradyTheGOAT?src=hash">#BradyTheGOAT</a> <a href="https://t.co/AcX6JMunzS">pic.twitter.com/AcX6JMunzS</a></p>— Scott Sullivan (@SullyBunz) <a href="https://twitter.com/SullyBunz/status/828636473637367809">February 6, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Which is absurd if it happens.

Yep. It would be. But the HoF voters are bitter. Really bitter. Would not surprise to see Moss be kept out.

Yep. It would be. But the HoF voters are bitter. Really bitter. Would not surprise to see Moss be kept out.

Plus, his record setting season was with the cheatriots.

Cheers

I think there is a better than 50% chance that Moss does not get in next year given the TO saga.

TO never hit a cop with his car as far as I know, or mooned the crowd or committed dating battery. Nowadays we can make light of marijuana getting him booted off FS by Bobby Bowden...that was way back in '90's.
Moss acted the fool in his early and middle years and that can't be denied. We also can't forget he wasn't a team guy unless things were going really well for him.
His off field antics will make him wait to get into the HOF imo.

TO never hit a cop with his car as far as I know, or mooned the crowd or committed dating battery. Nowadays we can make light of marijuana getting him booted off FS by Bobby Bowden...that was way back in '90's.
Moss acted the fool in his early and middle years and that can't be denied. We also can't forget he wasn't a team guy unless things were going really well for him.

To be honest, if we are judging who was a bigger distraction and more of a loaf on the field, it was Moss no question. Had Moss had the drive of TO, he would have broke Jerry's records IMO. Also if he had come to NE instead of Oakland too. :patriotlogo:

Mike Garafolo says the Dolphins will release OT Branden Albert today. Saves them $7.4M against the cap.

To be honest Randy pushed a meter maid with his car which was stupid but not the same thing as hitting someone. He mimicked mooning the crowd which was misunderstood and blown way out of proportion. The dating battery turned out to be a farce which never should have been filed.

I think Moss's off field problems were magnified and overstated. If his issues keep him out of the hall it would be an indictment of the system. If any receiver belongs in the HOF it's Randy Moss.

For what it's worth TO belongs in there too. The voters punishing him for off-field nonsense is ridiculous. He's not a criminal.

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

If not for those couple of years in Oakland, I doubt there's be any dispute Moss was the best receiver ever.

I'm shocked there's any dispute at all. No question in my mind that Moss was the best receiver ever and it's not even close.

I'm shocked there's any dispute at all. No question in my mind that Moss was the best receiver ever and it's not even close.

I have a very hard time declaring a guy the greatest of all time when he drops off the map in the prime of his career. I know all the problems in Oakland and it's.not all Moss's fault, but for me that's a legit issue I can't get passed.

To be honest Randy pushed a meter maid with his car which was stupid but not the same thing as hitting someone. He mimicked mooning the crowd which was misunderstood and blown way out of proportion. The dating battery turned out to be a farce which never should have been filed.

I think Moss's off field problems were magnified and overstated. If his issues keep him out of the hall it would be an indictment of the system. If any receiver belongs in the HOF it's Randy Moss.

For what it's worth TO belongs in there too. The voters punishing him for off-field nonsense is ridiculous. He's not a criminal.

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

I think Moss deserves to be in the HOF without question and I think he'll get in but he may have to wait a year or 2. As for his personal demeanor I think we can agree he brought his trouble upon himself by his rebellious behavior.

Jaric;2422328/ said:
... I can't get passed.
Not sure what you mean. But, depending, bribe the teacher or slow down and pull into the right hand lane.

Cheers

Mike Garafolo says the Dolphins will release OT Branden Albert today. Saves them $7.4M against the cap.

More Dolphins cuts:
DE Mario Williams
DT Earl Mitchell
CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu

Total cap savings for all four: ~ $19M. More if they designate Albert as a post June 1 cut.

The Dolphins apparently changed their mind on Albert. They did not cut him and probably are hoping to get some value in a trade.

Back