Random Football News

PFF PIT Steelers@PFF_Steelers
In 2017, Big Ben ranked second among all quarterbacks in PFF WAR, behind only Tom Brady. He ranked 4th among QBs in overall grade. He was still one of the elite quarterbacks in the league. Those ranks fell to 16th and 15th, respectively, last season. (link: https://www.pff.com/news/pro-z-the-...ben-roethlisberger-returning-to-his-2017-form) pff.com/news/pro-z-the…

How the absence of Brown affects Roethlisberger next season provides an interesting dynamic. On one hand, Brown is one of the most dynamic wide receivers in the entire league. Since 2010, he ranks first among all wideouts in receiving grade and total wins above replacement. Removing a talent like that from the offense should create a sizeable hole that the Steelers will attempt to fill with a combination of younger players. On the other hand, the numbers indicate that Roethlisberger forced the ball to Brown at times, particularly over the middle of the field — which is a dangerous game to play. Will a more balanced, hit-the-open-receiver approach help account for the loss of talent? That will be one of the more important and interesting questions to revolving around the Steelers next season.

ROETHLISBERGER STRUGGLING AT THE INTERMEDIATE LEVEL
Thirty-two quarterbacks had at least 60 attempts that traveled 10-19 yards downfield through the air last season. Roethlisberger’s 131 attempts on such passes were among the top five quarterbacks in the league, yet he ranked 29th among those quarterbacks in passing grade, ahead of only Josh Allen, Josh Rosen and Mitchell Trubisky. And 36.6% of his passes at the depth were uncatchable, ranking third worst among all qualifying quarterbacks. That is a problem.
Roethlisberger has been better at both the short and deep ranges in recent years, grading behind just Brady and Aaron Rodgers in regular-season passing grade from 2013 to 2017 on passes either going nine yards or shorter or 20-plus yards downfield. Conversely, he’s finished ninth in grade at the intermediate range over the same time period. It’s not as if he falls off a cliff at the range, but there is a noticeable dip in production. If he wants to rebound next season, Roethlisberger will need to return to at least the middle of the pack on those intermediate-level passes.

RED-ZONE WOES
As an offense, the Steelers were an above-average team in the red zone in 2018. Their offense finished among the top 10 teams in the league in both expected points added per play and percentage of plays that resulted in positive EPA. They could have been even better, though, with improved play from Roethlisberger. Among the 32 quarterbacks with the most red zone attempts, he ranked 27th in PFF passing grade and 24th in passer rating. Nearly 29% of his red zone attempts were uncatchable (sixth most), and he had a league-high six interceptions inside the 20, though two of those came back due to a penalty.
In 2017, Big Ben ranked fourth among all quarterbacks in red-zone passing grade, and just under 17 percent of his passes were uncatchable (tied for third best in the NFL). It doesn’t really need stating, but performance in the red zone is crucial. Leaving touchdowns on the table in lieu of field goals — a risky proposition in itself for the Steelers last season — is devastating for an offense. It’s of the utmost importance for Roethlisberger to provide his receivers a better chance at the ball while eliminating the plays where he gave the defender a better chance, similar to what transpired two seasons ago.

WILL ROETHLISBERGER RETURN TO TAKING MORE DOWNFIELD SHOTS?
Roethlisberger took a noticeably more conservative approach in 2018 than he did in 2017. Including plays that were ultimately nullified by penalty, Roethlisberger posted an average depth of target of 10.3 yards in 2017, ranking fourth highest among all quarterbacks with 300 or more regular-season attempts. Just 46% of his passes were targeted short of the first down marker (fifth lowest among the same group).
He dialed it back last season with an average depth of target of 8.4 yards (t-18th) and 53% of his passes coming short of the sticks (9th highest), with the ranks once again coming from a sample of quarterbacks with 300 or more attempts and including plays nullified by penalty.
The real story here is that the Steelers’ playmakers came together last season to keep the passing offense afloat as one of the best units in the NFL. Their 2,844 receiving yards after the catch were the most of any team in the PFF era, dating back to 2006. One way to look at this is that the receivers did a lot of the work for Roethlisberger on what were generally easier throws. The ability to dump it off underneath and have your playmakers consistently pick up chunks of yardage in the passing game is a luxury that not all quarterbacks have. Taking advantage of that isn’t necessarily a knock on Roethlisberger, but it does mean that he did not have to shoulder as much of the load in the passing game.

CAN ROETHLISBERGER RETURN TO ELITE TERRITORY?
There’s a narrative surrounding Big Ben that he is washed up, and that without some of the elite talent that has surrounded him — such as Le’Veon Bell and Brown — the end of his time as an elite quarterback is near or already upon us. As recently as two seasons ago, Roethlisberger was a top-five quarterback in the league by both PFF grade and wins above replacement, so it is not as if he is far removed from that level. Last year’s performance, which fell merely under the “average” category, does raise concerns about his long-term outlook, though. With Roethlisberger is under contract through 2021 after an extension this offseason, his play this season will go a long way toward showing how the end of his career will play out. Given what has transpired over the last year both on and off the field, he certainly has a lot to prove.

Would like to remind whoever, Big Ben threw for the most yards in NFL last year...

Paying Zeke, Dak and Cooper won't be easy for Jerrah

Is Dak worth what he's asking for?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AxJY5ppERWU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not in my mind.

Give that dew $200 million. all guaranteed...it's the only right thing to do.

OPI or DPI? Redskins ball.
If this is the kind of officiating the NFL will get in 2019, the league and all fans are in for a frustrating year.
Challenged and replay let the call stand. No words.

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1162185411281719297

All these rules are in place to make it feasible to assist in anointing the team they want to win a Championship. Someone outside that desired sect is going to have to play virtually perfect football, and force them to make calls like that for the public to dissect and destroy their reputations to achieve that collective goal.

Bill and Tom are the perfect leadership to counter that though.

It's rarely any Norwegian news in the NFL, so i'd like to mention that Norwegian kicker Kaare Vedvik was traded from the Ravens to the Vikings for a 5th round pick.

He had a very good pre-season in 2018 but got robbed and injured before the season. By paying a 5th rounder for a kicker, I assume there will be aNorwegian player in the NFL in 2019. Hurrah!

By some reports I'm reading he might actually play as both kicker and punter for the Vikings this season. That would be the first time a player handles both duties in almost 40 years (Frank Corral for the LA Rams).

I watched the first episode of Hard Knocks (I know, I know) and was blown away with the way rookie Jonathan Abrams talked to Chucky. And the way Chucky just took it. Coach was trying to coach and Abrams kept running his mouth. He took down Luke Willson in a non pads drill and Gruden was reaming him. All Abrams had to do was say "Sorry coach. Won't happen again." He would not shut up about what a playmaker he is and that's how he plays.

Gonna be a long season in Oaktown.

I watched the first episode of Hard Knocks (I know, I know) and was blown away with the way rookie Jonathan Abrams talked to Chucky. And the way Chucky just took it. Coach was trying to coach and Abrams kept running his mouth. He took down Luke Willson in a non pads drill and Gruden was reaming him. All Abrams had to do was say "Sorry coach. Won't happen again." He would not shut up about what a playmaker he is and that's how he plays.

What amazed me was the clueless, disinterested bubble guy who got himself injured and then blew off going to treatment like the coach told him to. They rightly cut his sorry ass.

You know how many guys would kill for just ONE shot at the NFL? And this guy cared so little and was so unmotivated he didn't go see the trainer to treat his injury?

What's wrong with some people? Sometimes a golden opportunity is wasted on the wrong guys.

Sounds like a burfict player for the Raiduhs... :coffee:

What amazed me was the clueless, disinterested bubble guy who got himself injured and then blew off going to treatment like the coach told him to. They rightly cut his sorry ass.

You know how many guys would kill for just ONE shot at the NFL? And this guy cared so little and was so unmotivated he didn't go see the trainer to treat his injury?

What's wrong with some people? Sometimes a golden opportunity is wasted on the wrong guys.

Paul Di'Anno quit Iron Maiden. He didn't want to be the singer. Enter Bruce Dickinson.

This is exactly why I haven't watched any Hard Knocks other than maybe the first episode ever. It may not all be scripted but I have a feeling there is some of that. Also, if you put a camera in some of these players face, they're going to act a fool for sure.

Gonna be a long shitty season in Oaktown.

fyp

Back