Realistic Expectations

Denism

Conas ata t?
Reaction score
ok putting aside all the permatations about the playoffs, lets just say for this question that the Pats do the make the playoffs....

putting aside homerism and your heart.....

What are your realistic expectations for The Pats?

I think we're all agreed the Offense isnt our primary worry about this Team

Can this Defense really make it to the Conference Final or dare i say it, the S/B?

What say you:)

ok putting aside all the permatations about the playoffs, lets just say for this question that the Pats do the make the playoffs....

putting aside homerism and your heart.....

What are your realistic expectations for The Pats?

I think we're all agreed the Offense isnt our primary worry about this Team

Can this Defense really make it to the Conference Final or dare i say it, the S/B?

What say you:)

They'll win the W/C game (Against Jets or Miami), and if they draw Tennessee or Denver after that I like their chances there; but they have no chance against Pittsburgh or Indy.

They'll win the W/C game (Against Jets or Miami), and if they draw Tennessee or Denver after that I like their chances there; but they have no chance against Pittsburgh or Indy.

Tenn and Pitt have wrapped up 1st round byes. Assuming the Pats make it in as the #6 seed, they would play either Denver or the AFCE champ. Assuming they win that, they would go to the #1 seed (likely the winner of next week's Pitt/Tenn game).

The Patriots have already exceeded my expectations for the year. Everything from this point is gravy.

As far as what to realistically expect, I think the Pats will win out and make the playoffs. I'm not gonna say what I expect- I threw that out the window around mid-season. I'm just enjoying the ride.

Sorry if I'm straddling the fence here and not giving an answer, but I guess I'm just vry content with the 2008 Patriots (All things considered)

Tenn and Pitt have wrapped up 1st round byes. Assuming the Pats make it in as the #6 seed, they would play either Denver or the AFCE champ. Assuming they win that, they would go to the #1 seed (likely the winner of next week's Pitt/Tenn game).

so, either Denver or Miami / Jets (assuming Pats get #6 seed)

personally i would like our chances against them guys

and then it could be Pitt/Tenn

hmmmm....

(omg, we gotta get that damn #6 seed)

My realistic expectation, is that I'm still not 100% sure which Patriots team will take the field next Sunday. They are the epitome of "week to week". I'm hoping they've turned that corner, and will play an extremely competitive game next weekend vs. the Cardinals.

Personally, I think the Jets and Steelers are better than the Patriots. And the Ravens are pretty good, from what I saw last week. I think the Patriots are going to be hard pressed just to make the playoffs as it is. Now if they make it in, all bets are off. Again, they'd be "week to week", but my respect for them would be even better, if they make the playoffs. They've had a heck of a fine season so far, though, considering the major injuries.

The Patriots have already exceeded my expectations for the year. Everything from this point is gravy.

As far as what to realistically expect, I think the Pats will win out and make the playoffs. I'm not gonna say what I expect- I threw that out the window around mid-season. I'm just enjoying the ride.

Sorry if I'm straddling the fence here and not giving an answer, but I guess I'm just vry content with the 2008 Patriots (All things considered)

Well, i think we're all on the same page as you there mate

when Brady went down, none of us was thinking playoffs

be that as it may, we now DO have a realistic chance of making it so the heart/head does start to ponder things like this now :)

personally i'd be gutted if we dont make the playoffs even after all the Crap that has happened the Pats this season

Cassel's perfomances alone this season deserves a playoff spot imo

My realistic expectation, is that I'm still not 100% sure which Patriots team will take the field next Sunday. They are the epitome of "week to week". I'm hoping they've turned that corner, and will play an extremely competitive game next weekend vs. the Cardinals.

Personally, I think the Jets and Steelers are better than the Patriots. And the Ravens are pretty good, from what I saw last week. I think the Patriots are going to be hard pressed just to make the playoffs as it is. Now if they make it in, all bets are off. Again, they'd be "week to week", but my respect for them would be even better, if they make the playoffs. They've had a heck of a fine season so far, though, considering the major injuries.

Not sure i agree with you Steve about the Jets but your right about the "week to week" thing, you know they are well prepared for their opponents, but u still worry which D will turn up

amazing to think after all that happened this season, we still have a chance to make playoffs

Well, i think we're all on the same page as you there mate

when Brady went down, none of us was thinking playoffs

be that as it may, we now DO have a realistic chance of making it so the heart/head does start to ponder things like this now :)

personally i'd be gutted if we dont make the playoffs even after all the Crap that has happened the Pats this season

Cassel's perfomances alone this season deserves a playoff spot imo

:thumb: TO both of yas. It is so hard because we are playing better than the Jets and Fins right now.

With the defensive injuries, I don't think the Pats could stop anyone in the playoffs.

On the other hand, with Cassel clicking with Moss and Welker and Gaffney, and the RBs running hard (Jordan, Morris, BJGE, Faulk), I think this team can score on anyone, if they all give their A-game. Anyone. Including the defenses of Pitt and Baltimore.

The playoffs can be decided by a lot of things. Weather. Injuries. Funny bounces, tipped balls, special teams plays. The other playoff entries (Tennessee, Pittsbugh, Indy, Denver or SD, Miami or the Jets) are not unbeatable. If things don't go well, the Pats could certainly lose to any of them, but they can also beat any of them. Even in their injury-riddled condition.

The playoffs can be decided by a lot of things. Weather. Injuries. Funny bounces, tipped balls, special teams plays. The other playoff entries (Tennessee, Pittsbugh, Indy, Denver or SD, Miami or the Jets) are not unbeatable. If things don't go well, the Pats could certainly lose to any of them, but they can also beat any of them. Even in their injury-riddled condition.

Yup. And the Giants are now beatable. It's wide open. Parity. Thanks to Peyton Manning's early season bad knee, and Brady getting hurt. Many teams are still in the hunt mathematically:

Jets, Patriots, Dolphins, Steelers, Ravens, Titans, Broncos, Colts, Giants, Cowboys, Panthers, Buccaneers, Vikings, Cardinals, and other teams I can't remember right now (Bears?)

I think they win the wild card game if they play someone in there division or Denver. But it going to be very hard to beat the Titans or Pittsburg in the divisional round.

If they do make the playoffs, and I have hopes that they will...I think the Jets are not who they appear to be on paper, and I think Miami is better than them...but should we get a wild card, I think the Titans are beatable, and the Steelers probably are not. It's definitely up to our offense to win the games and keep our defense of the field as much as possible. Not an ideal situation.

But, I think this team is playing on really good offensive talent and pure heart. So anything is possible.

I think I'm proud as hell of this team no matter wha happens and feel a lot like HappySock does.

I also think it's incredibly awesome that Tom Jackson had to admit tonight what a phenomenal coach BB is and how much credit he deserves.ROFLROFL GFY.

this year might be BB best coaching job since he won the SB. IN 2001 with a untested sixth round QB in tom Brady and a bunch on free agent pickups on Offense and defense.

In doing a little more thinking, I came to a conclusion.

A lot needs to go right for the Pats to make the Playoffs, but a lot also needs to go wrong for the Pats NOT to make the playoffs (IF the Pats win out and finish 11-5).

IF the Pats go 11-5, the Ravens need to win out. Jets/Miami will take each other out once....hmmm....I think that Miami is the better overall team and will win the week 17 matchup, So I am rooting hard for the Phins to lose next week. Of course all 3 teams could lose next week and just make it easy for the Pats, but I don't think it'll happen. I think we will get 2/3 gifts next week but who knows? The Jets are in a Freefall and are holding it together with tape, gum, smoke, and mirrors. It is incredible that Buffalo handed that game to them today- If I was a Jets fan right now I would NOT be very confident in their chances. Favre is reverting back to what he knows best which is gambling and throwing away games.

Anyhoo- Still too much football left to play. Pats need to worry about Zona and let everything else fall where it may. If the Pats finish 11-5 and still don't make the playoffs, I will be DAMN PROUD of what they accomplished. As Patriots fans, we've all become used to the ultimate success of SB victories and do not even care about division championships, conference championships, or moral victories.....but MAN it would be one hell of a moral victory to win 11 games in what was supposed to be a lost season.

Regardless of how this season plays out, the fact that this team went into Oakland and shitbeat the pathetic Raiders in front of their ghey fans will always make me smile. The season isn't over, but I have my pleasent memory for the year.

If the Pats finish 11-5 and miss the playoffs, there are a couple good things to come out of it:

1. A higher draft pick position than if they were to make the playoffs and advance.

2. An opportunity to rest the team and start getting healthy for 2009 after they have played 2-3 extra games every year since 2003. The price for being successful.

All in all, an 11-5 season after the way it started for the Pats is a good season by other teams standards and could bring BB coach of the year.

If the Pats finish 11-5 and miss the playoffs, there are a couple good things to come out of it:

1. A higher draft pick position than if they were to make the playoffs and advance.

2. An opportunity to rest the team and start getting healthy for 2009 after they have played 2-3 extra games every year since 2003. The price for being successful.

All in all, an 11-5 season after the way it started for the Pats is a good season by other teams standards and could bring BB coach of the year.

While I enjoy the idea of Coach of the Year for BB, I think you'd be hard pressed to not look at the Dolphins for their turn around. Atlanta also comes to mind.

Back