Redskin Postgame Thoughts

True. But I agree that O'Brien never should have butted in the conversation. He should have gone to Brady quietly to say what he wanted to say. I'll bet O'Brien doesn't make that mistake again! At least with cameras rolling.

I was thinking about this too, so like anything I think about where authority is involved...I went to my wife and asked her about the circumstances....now mind you, she does not know Tom Brady from any other player on this team....she thinks welker is cute and that wilfork is funny, thats about the extent. She said...and I agree, that while O'Brien might of had an issue with Brady, when Brady had started the conversation with the young guy, he should not have jumped in, because what you do there is take away Brady's leadership over this young player. So in the future, if Brady were to try and correct him on something, Underwood would say to himself, well why do I have to listen to him...what should have been done was Brady and Underwood talk it out, and O'Brien come to Brady afterwards to talk out the differences, then at that point, Brady could share with Underwood during film study or another time of what the coach and Brady talked about. Now....with all that said....Brady probably overreacted with what he said to underwood because of his frustration and O'Brien overreacted with what he said to Brady because of his frustration.

I was thinking about this too, so like anything I think about where authority is involved...I went to my wife and asked her about the circumstances....now mind you, she does not know Tom Brady from any other player on this team....she thinks welker is cute and that wilfork is funny, thats about the extent. She said...and I agree, that while O'Brien might of had an issue with Brady, when Brady had started the conversation with the young guy, he should not have jumped in, because what you do there is take away Brady's leadership over this young player. So in the future, if Brady were to try and correct him on something, Underwood would say to himself, well why do I have to listen to him...what should have been done was Brady and Underwood talk it out, and O'Brien come to Brady afterwards to talk out the differences, then at that point, Brady could share with Underwood during film study or another time of what the coach and Brady talked about. Now....with all that said....Brady probably overreacted with what he said to underwood because of his frustration and O'Brien overreacted with what he said to Brady because of his frustration.

It looked to me that TB and Tiquan were have a pretty normal conversation trying to get on the same page...at least until O'Brien butted in.

It looked to me that TB and Tiquan were have a pretty normal conversation trying to get on the same page...at least until O'Brien butted in.

I was just kinda going off Brady first saying, you have to go up and get that. I think that was said out of frustration and maybe could have been said different because that it seems is what set O'Brien off.

Not sure why O'Brien even felt it necessary to interfere with his future Hall of Fame QB schooling a young'un.

I suspect O'Brien was already POed at Brady for [effing] up the play, and then BOB seeing Brady telling Underwood what he should have done differently (when Brady was the main culprit), wasn't what he was looking for. Brady's response obviously sent him over the top.

I suspect O'Brien was already POed at Brady for [effing] up the play, and then BOB seeing Brady telling Underwood what he should have done differently (when Brady was the main culprit), wasn't what he was looking for. Brady's response obviously sent him over the top.

Agreed. And I disagree that BoB's reaction would ever undermine Brady's credibility.

But like someone else brought up....maybe Underwood could have done something different. Not saying it was the cause of the turnover as much as forcing the ball, but it also might derail what Brady told him by what happened afterwards. There still could be a point of what underwood was supposed to do even if it was not the main issue with the play. I am sure that Brady did not need to be told what he did wrong on the play.

Agreed. And I disagree that BoB's reaction would ever undermine Brady's credibility.

Not to the team, but maybe to this young player who is new to the patriots. I think that is where O'Brien might have messed up. Not with his thought process, but his reaction and presentation to Brady at that time when it happened.

Not to the team, but maybe to this young player who is new to the patriots. I think that is where O'Brien might have messed up. Not with his thought process, but his reaction and presentation to Brady at that time when it happened.

Not a chance.

Not a chance.

Well that's the question I guess. We will never know where Bill went at behind doors, but I imagine both of them got an ear full equally....wrong or right, I know Bill did not like the display of one of his coaches being held back by players and other coaches on full camera view.

Well that's the question I guess. We will never know where Bill went at behind doors, but I imagine both of them got an ear full equally....wrong or right, I know Bill did not like the display of one of his coaches being held back by players and other coaches on full camera view.

I'm sure both heard from Bill, but Brady's credibility never came into question. Of that I am sure.

I'm sure both heard from Bill, but Brady's credibility never came into question. Of that I am sure.

That's a relief. I was worried that Brady might get shipped out of town like like they did with Haynesworth, when he got into it with Pepper Johnson.

:)

That's a relief. I was worried that Brady might get shipped out of town like like they did with Haynesworth, when he got into it with Pepper Johnson.

:)

Thats not what I was referring to. I was referring to how a Young Player like Underwood views it, not how the team views it. How does Underwood see Brady after something like this happens, where Brady is about to discuss something and the coach cuts him off and then the battle takes place. That was my question, not how the team see's brady.

Thats not what I was referring to. I was referring to how a Young Player like Underwood views it, not how the team views it. How does Underwood see Brady after something like this happens, where Brady is about to discuss something and the coach cuts him off and then the battle takes place. That was my question, not how the team see's brady.

And the answer is still the same. Brady's credibility is unaffected.

Underwood: I have to run a better route

December 12, 2011, 4:28 pm SHARE THIS POST

Underwood: I've got to bat the ball downAn Tom Brady interception on a pass intended for Tiquan Underwood set off a sideline argument between the QB and Bill O'Brien

PATRIOTS REPORT: MONDAY, DECEMBER 12 <table width="100%" bgcolor="" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td>Patriots already tired of Tebow questions</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Underwood: I have to run a better route</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Curran: An 'official' complaint</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Sports Sunday: Are Pats really a 10-3 team?</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Law gives O'Brien credit for standing up to Brady</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Brady: Pats need to play with fire</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Rich Levine: In the name of Tebow</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Harrison: Brady knows Pats' defense is 'really bad'</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

picard_insider_bylines.png
<map name="Map99"> <area shape="rect" coords="83,47,245,73" href="http://www.twitter.com/dannypicard" target="_blank"></map>
FOXBORO -- Caught in the middle of Tom Brady and Bill O'Brien's shouting match during Sunday's game against the Redskins was Patriots wide receiver Tiquan Underwood.

Brady's fourth-quarter interception was intended for Underwood. Instead it ended up in the hands of Washington cornerback Josh Wilson in the back of the end zone.

And it seemed that Brady's comments towards Underwood on the sideline sparked O'Brien to step in and critique the veteran quarterback's poorly thrown pass.
On Monday at Gillette Stadium, Underwood talked about what he could have done differently to prevent both the interception and the heated exchange on the Patriots' sideline.

"As a wide receiver, we must get open and catch the ball," said Underwood. "And if we can't catch it, no one catches it. So I have to just become a defender for Tom there, and don't let the guy intercept the ball.

"It was a good play by the guy, but I know that I've got to run a better route to catch the ball. And if not, I have to bat it down."

Underwood said that he and Brady spoke about the play after the war of words. He also said he wasn't surprised that the exchange took place, even if it looked to be an awkward situation.

"It's just part of the game," said Underwood. "We're all passionate about our job and what we do. It's just part of it.

"It's part of the sport that we play. It's very intense, especially on game day. It's just guys having passion for their jobs. And it's something that we love to do."

:rockon:

I don't expect a guy who is an UDFA hanging on by the plaque on his teeth to utter anything remotely different than accepting the responsibility.

And again, there was a rather blatant jersey tug keeping him back from the ball and aiding the DB's acceleration. That should have been flagged.

I don't expect a guy who is an UDFA hanging on by the plaque on his teeth to utter anything remotely different than accepting the responsibility.

And again, there was a rather blatant jersey tug keeping him back from the ball and aiding the DB's acceleration. That should have been flagged.

So you did not expect him to roll in and say.....F that princess Brady...he throws a bad ball and tries to blame me?!!? WHo the hell does he think he is....good thing coach had my back and put that skinny pecker wood in his place....

So you did not expect him to roll in and say.....F that princess Brady...he throws a bad ball and tries to blame me?!!? WHo the hell does he think he is....good thing coach had my back and put that skinny pecker wood in his place....

:LOL:

Yeah, that's not gonna happen!

ROFLROFLROFL

Did you watch the exchange? Brady wasn't doing anything weird until BOB made some comment bot the other way around.

Did you watch the exchange? Brady wasn't doing anything weird until BOB made some comment bot the other way around.

I watched it and got the feeling that Brady was pulling a Manning and blaming Underwood and that's when O'Brien blew his top. Just my take on it.

I watched it and got the feeling that Brady was pulling a Manning and blaming Underwood and that's when O'Brien blew his top. Just my take on it.

Telling a young receiver that he needs to make a better attempt at a ball does not seem like its "blaming" anyone. Coming over the sideline frustrated in yourself and then telling a player on the sideline to him.....and to him only, to make a better attempt at a ball, is slightly different than going on camera to the media and telling them the oline let you down......just slightly.

Back