Report: Chip Kelly scheduled meeting with Patriots

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/12...g-with-patriots-after-not-landing-jags-oc-job

Might one of football's most innovative offensive minds be lining up a job on Bill Belichick's staff?

Chip Kelly recently headed to New England for a meeting with the Patriots after being passed over for the Jacksonville Jaguars' offensive coordinator job, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports, citing a source.

:coffee:

Espn source: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ill-belichick-kirk-cousins-antonio-brown-more

Could Belichick bring in Chip?

When Chip Kelly was dumped by the San Francisco 49ers after one season as head coach, word was that he indeed preferred to stay in the NFL as opposed to returning to the college game.

If that is true -- and it does appear to be right now -- there would be a logical landing spot: the New England Patriots. That's because the friendship between Kelly and Patriots coach Bill Belichick is no secret. They have exchanged football concepts since Kelly's fast-tempo offense became the rage at Oregon.

The Jaguars were serious in their courtship of Kelly as the offensive coordinator for Doug Marrone, who was named the head coach last week. Marrone was urged by Tom Coughlin, the Jaguars' new executive vice president of football operations, to explore adding Kelly to the staff as an offensive coordinator or in another capacity.

As Giants coach, Coughlin was 1-5 against Kelly's Eagles from 2013 to 2015. If you eliminate the one Eagles loss to New York (15-7 in 2013), Kelly's offense averaged 33 points in the five wins.

And Coughlin's longtime offensive line coach, Pat Flaherty, had worked with Kelly in San Francisco this past season before being hired by Marrone with the Jaguars.

But for Marrone, pairing with Kelly as offensive coordinator did not feel like a good philosophical fit. He kept Nathaniel Hackett as the playcaller.

As for Kelly, a league source said he was headed to New England to meet with Belichick once the Jaguars decided to go with Hackett. What that means is anybody's guess for now. Kelly's knowledge goes well beyond offense. His command of the science of football is highly regarded in enough circles to be an asset in more than one way.

-- Chris Mortensen

Maybe he was actually meeting with Josh McDaniels as in "don't take that effing Niner's job!"

I don't want Kelly anywhere near our offense.

He did nothing for me as the Niners head coach. I remember when they announced him I had about the same reaction I did when Tomsula was announced (extreme disappointment). He's a dud as a head coach but if Bill could use him, fine. I trust whatever decision Bill makes.

Maybe he was actually meeting with Josh McDaniels as in "don't take that effing Niner's job!"

Could be but Josh has already turned them down. IDK

Possibly in some capacity as a consultant for quality control for the offense?

No idea really but like Mazz I don't want Kelly playing with our offense.

Could be but Josh has already turned them down. IDK

Possibly in some capacity as a consultant for quality control for the offense?

No idea really but like Mazz I don't want Kelly playing with our offense.

I thought the meeting was past tense.

The Pats have already stolen a shitload of ideas from Kelly most obvious in their 3x1 and 3x2 stack game. His fingerprints are all over the Pats' pass game. At least they were the last time I paid close attention. If I ever get back to the pass game thread I'd have to point out some of the blaring examples which unfortunately are becoming dated.

Patriots win superbowl.

Brady and BB ride off into the sunset.

Josh named head coach.

Kelly named OC.

Crystal clear.

I thought the meeting was past tense.

The Pats have already stolen a shitload of ideas from Kelly most obvious in their 3x1 and 3x2 stack game. His fingerprints are all over the Pats' pass game. At least they were the last time I paid close attention. If I ever get back to the pass game thread I'd have to point out all the examples which unfortunately are becoming dated.

Yeah, they have had him in before to help work on the hurry-up offense.

I would not be surprised if he got a special assistant type role at all.

I doubt they will offer him a paying gig. Mike Lombardi was welcome to hang around as long as the Cleveland Browns were paying him.

Even the Patriots.com site is carrying this.

Chip Kelly has extensive roots in New England, including a strong relationship with Bill Belichick.

According to ESPN, the former Oregon, Eagles and 49ers head coach, might also find a job in New England.

ESPN reports that after he interviewed recently for the Jaguars opening at offensive coordinator – a job that ended up going to incumbent Nathaniel Hackett – Kelly “was headed to New England to meet with Belichick.”

ESPN indicates that Kelly, who remains unemployed at this point since he was let go after just one season in San Francisco, might find a “logical landing spot” with the Patriots.

Some had posed the possibility that Kelly might be a candidate to replace Josh McDaniels had the Patriots offensive coordinator taken a head coaching job this winter. But McDaniels removed his name from consideration for the 49ers job earlier this week and appears poised to remain in Foxborough for at least another season.

The ESPN report did not indicate what type of role Kelly might have with the Patriots with McDaniels remaining in his coordinator role.

Kelly grew up in New Hampshire and coached at the University of New Hampshire, laying the foundation for his soon-to-be-famous up-tempo offense before he took it to the next level at Oregon.

http://www.patriots.com/news/2017/01/20/report-patriots-met-chip-kelly

Hire Chip, have HIM do the pressers.
1) bb doesn't have to waste time doing them
2) i LOVE chip's pressers, he's hilarious.

He should have stayed in college. His style offense doesn't translate to NFL.

He should have stayed in college. His style offense doesn't translate to NFL.

I'd be greatly surprised if there are not aspects of his system and his offensive philosophy that Bill can't make use of or spin off from. They're too close for Bill not to admire his work and not for nothing. IMO

I believe the extreme hurry up that that Pats used previously can be traced to Kelly. Brady using one word calls to completely change a play were from Kelly's Oregon offense, if I remember correctly.

I believe the extreme hurry up that that Pats used previously can be traced to Kelly. Brady using one word calls to completely change a play were from Kelly's Oregon offense, if I remember correctly.

Yup.

Kelly was setup to fail in the 49er's. Anyone with their eyes open seen this coming.

He took the Eagles to the playoffs more times than not.

But yeah, he sucks. :coffee:

Hire Chip, have HIM do the pressers.
1) bb doesn't have to waste time doing them
2) i LOVE chip's pressers, he's hilarious.

Isn't Bill required to do them? Otherwise, I'm all for this. (Even though I love watching Bill's pressers)

Back