Roger Goodell Faces A Number of Issues

They're only fvck ups when you look at them thru a players lens. Viewed from the other angle they are strategic bricks stacked in place for a massive monetary end game. The only way to get that revenue - and that's ALL the current owner class cares of - is to coerce the PA. In order to do that they'll have to cede something. The easiest thing to give up is the out of control commish power. Who cares after all?

Player get their guy or panel in. A small bump in the pie. Owners get increased revenue. Less headaches with a new punitive commitee. And peace.

For a bit.

You are starting to convince me.

The current contract runs 10 years and the players share of revenue dropped from 50 to 47%.

That 3% difference on a projected revenue for 2016 of 13 billion is roughly 390 million clams.

I don't know what the owners have already pocketed or will pocket in just that difference, but it is clearly a shitload.

So.....uhhhh.....nobody is going broke just yet and the players would be fools to settle for just Roger's head and discipline concessions, assuming that he lasts to the end of the contract.

You are starting to convince me.

The current contract runs 10 years and the players share of revenue dropped from 50 to 47%.

That 3% difference on a projected revenue for 2016 of 13 billion is roughly 390 million clams.

I don't know what the owners have already pocketed or will pocket in just that difference, but it is clearly a shitload.

So.....uhhhh.....nobody is going broke just yet and the players would be fools to settle for just Roger's head and discipline concessions, assuming that he lasts to the end of the contract.
The owners picked the players pockets in the last CBA, (although a lot of it came from the 1st round draft picks). I think the next negotiation could be much more contentious.

I do think the owners will agree to give up some of the commissioner's power in exchange for another percent of revenue. What I doubt is whether the players will quickly accept it.

There is a ton on the table for 2021.

The expanded season and expanded playoffs. Global expansion and more games overseas. The insurance for head injuries to avoid further lawsuits. Have to believe the league will also fight to get padded practices back as it has caused more injuries because players are not in football shape. And then Goodell's power. I don't think this is a small chip for the league and one they would just give away for more money. The Commish has always had article 46 in every pro sport only Rog has been the one to abuse it and abuse it and abuse it. That being said, the owners hired him to be Joe Law and it is a role he clearly relishes. He has said himself that the owners do not want some third party making disciplinary decisions who do not understand the business of football.

One thing is certain - this will be most contentious CBA ever and football will be stopped for a long time. And Krafty won't be there to bail them out. Heck, it may be Jonathan at the helm by then.

At the RNC:

Cn8MiZiW8AESVqv.jpg

ROFL

I love how the sign directly to the left is "Beware false prophets"
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Roger has never been more powerful.

Does he look like an asswipe? Sure. But that's the personal cost for earning $40+ mil per. He does their dirty work. He does it very well. He hides in his hole counting stacks while criticism rains down on him like a FL afternoon thunderstorm. And it sheds off his back like a duck.

He hasn't done anything that has increased revenue. He doesn't have that function. It's all Committee work. He just announced it as a figurehead. And thus gets credit from peripheral fans.

I do think the owners will play a game. Because the reward is HUGE.

Offer Rogers role as sole disciplinarian. This whole thing has been a sham. A gross exaggeration and overuse of power. To what end?

Parity? No. But you can bet your ass you'll get the Texans and Ravens and Colts behind on it this time around if the exertion takes a toll on NE.

Good of the game? No. Does it do any good to have the face of the league on the sidelines.

No. I'm convinced this over extension of his authority was done on purpose. When he first got heavy it was all black athletes coming into his crosshairs. Then the Brady presser insulting the Ravens. That didn't go over well. Calls were made. A plan was hatched. And the proof of it slipped lips during the sting: "You're in big fvcking trouble now! We got ya!" Coming down heavy on the white poster boy of the NFL was EXACTLY what Rog needed.

These guys won't dig in. They'll acquiesce to the 18 game. For a bump. And Rogers disciplinary role. Which the league admittedly touched on at 1 point and then drew back curiously. Why? They knew it was a future bargaining chip to give away something they aren't all that interested in keeping and getting something they want immensely. Win-win for them.

The PA were barely willing to miss the HoF game last go around. They do not collectively have the strength or discipline to dig in for a stoppage that'd bring real change. It's hard. It comes with a cost.

After SI explored Roger Goodell's 10 years as the NFL Commish this past week in a number of daily articles, SI is not so convinced Goodell has the support of ownership we here at the Planet think he does.

Can Goodell Save His Job?

Well, maybe. But read the emails below this column. The public hates this man. People have long memories from the Ray Rice affair, and certainly from the story that wouldn’t end—Deflategate. The NFL clearly is banking on time healing the wounds. It’s easy to say the owners support Goodell, but I can tell you this: Some owners I know clearly do not like that the public face of the most successful sports league in American history gets more tomatoes thrown at it than any other commissioner in the 96-year history of the NFL.

• WHAT A COMMISH SHOULD BE: Albert Breer talks to NFPLA president Eric Winston; plus more NFL notes as training camps approach

when the league refused to make public the results of its first-ever measurements to judge the effect of weather on the air pressure in footballs in the 2015, that sealed the deal for me. Why hide the data, when those measurements were clearly done to either buttress or disprove the NFL’s case? I’ll tell you why: because the league didn’t want to show what happens to footballs in wet and cold weather. Footballs lose air pressure naturally. That stonewalling was a bad look for Goodell. A terrible look. He deserves every sling and arrow from Bangor to Bridgeport over it.

• THE GOODELL DECADE: Jenny Vrentas on 10 turbulent years in the NFL

I don’t know if he can save his job, or if he should save his job. But he’s got to take some drastic steps to turn around his image. The owners cannot afford to forever have their commissioner being one of the biggest punching bags in American sports history.

• ‘HE TAKES THE FUN OUT OF FOOTBALL’: The fans’ view of Goodell

Here are your emails after our series of stories on Goodell this week. The mail was at least 95 percent negative. Some samples:
* * *​

WINS ABOVE REPLACEMENT?
Using a wins above replacement-type analysis, couldn’t any competent executive have grown the league at an equal or better pace for far less money? I’m so tired of hearing about how great Roger is because he makes money for the owners. They have a great product. They have great players. They have smart owners who were successful in other businesses. They would have made money with a robot as commissioner. Roger has probably cost the owners money compared to what a competent executive could have accomplished.
—Thomas D. Mooney
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/07/22/roger-goodell-week-peter-king-nfl-commissioner-job

95% negative comments about the commish and little of it has to do with deflategate directly. It's not just us Pats fans who hate the stooge.

I've always said that DG will cost Goodell his job. It is only a matter of time.

After SI explored Roger Goodell's 10 years as the NFL Commish this past week in a number of daily articles, SI is not so convinced Goodell has the support of ownership we here at the Planet think he does.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/07/22/roger-goodell-week-peter-king-nfl-commissioner-job

95% negative comments about the commish and little of it has to do with deflategate directly. It's not just us Pats fans who hate the stooge.

this one-

WINS ABOVE REPLACEMENT?
Using a wins above replacement-type analysis, couldn’t any competent executive have grown the league at an equal or better pace for far less money? I’m so tired of hearing about how great Roger is because he makes money for the owners. They have a great product. They have great players. They have smart owners who were successful in other businesses. They would have made money with a robot as commissioner. Roger has probably cost the owners money compared to what a competent executive could have accomplished.

Great article from Chatham on how players can no longer trust Goodell. "Scumbaggery" is my new favorite word. lol. I have pasted the whole thing as it is that good.

New scouting report for NFL leadership emerges, integrity nowhere to be found

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

That famous line from of the hit NBC television series Friday Night Lights seems especially relevant these days in mixed-up, real-life football world. As NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell presses on with the slowest reading of Leadership for Dummies on record, the "protect the shield" slogan that I grew up on in this league has taken on spectacular new clarity.

There was a time when I bought into the "shield" idea, as most players I knew did. But then the league manufactured Deflategate, a self-induced, platitude-spoiling point of no return.

Nothing will ever be the same.

As a player, protecting the league that's a big part of your life seemed a very natural, familial idea to get behind. But as Goodell's power-lust smothers the NFL image, players both past & present need to wake up to this new reality in our football universe.

The people running our game aren't our friends. And they definitely aren't family. Friends and family that you can trust don't conduct themselves the way current NFL leadership does.

The NFLPA simply failed to predict the league would act with such scumbaggery. The players may have worn a revealing dress, but they didn't agree to be raped.

These people are simply the schemers across the table in a perpetual negotiation for control of this sport -- and that's okay as long as the players understand as much. Players can no longer pretend they're pulling in the same direction on the same rope as the league.

It's simply not true.

Players can end up on the wrong side of the ol' shield in an instant -- for nothing more than being accused of something that instead reveals a league office full of agenda-driven, under-educated clowns.

With clear eyes and full hearts. The shield is total bullshit.

The Goodell Scouting Report
You have to study your opponent. Every football player knows as much, although they usually reserve this frame of mind for the field. But the rules of the industry change when a commissioner misuses power to smear a player to satisfy his own ego and stave off personal embarrassment.

That guy who hugged you on draft day is a phony. It's nothing personal, it's just something you have to know -- no different than studying an opposing offense that runs a lot of misdirection and play action.

They show one thing and do the opposite. Just like Roger.

Goodell's tendencies are easy to follow and as strong as you'll ever find from a football player on tape:

1. Proclaim an ethic that guides his actions
2. Act in direct defiance of that ethic
3. Defend his actions as rules-abiding (forget about that ethic)
4. Reassert that ethic in hopes the listener is too dumb to notice
5. Lather, rinse, repeat.

He negotiates against players as the representative of the owners in labor talks. He cosigns on public misinformation campaigns and the manipulation of evidence to suit his own interests. He enlists his attorneys to edit investigation materials against a player. And he dodges media obligations he dishonestly claims he'll fulfill while mandating players do what he won't.

That's the dude you're dealing with -- his real character in brilliant HD. With clear eyes and full hearts, players and their representatives must see that the good faith negotiation days are gone.

USATSI, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell
Roger Goodell represents cheating in its purest form. No need for multi-million dollar investigations. The accuser was the offender all along. Things were never as they were sold. Einhorn is Finkle. Finkle is Einhorn.

With NFL media partners willing to keep league office lies and basic science out of the headlines, players have to have their heads on a swivel. This is today's public misinformation playing field, for better or worse.

Goodell will unblinkingly use public dishonesty as a tactic in his job. This fact should be the top bullet point in a breakdown of who the players and their union are dealing with -- no different than studying a pass rusher's favorite move. If you're going to face someone, you have to be prepared for what they're likely to do.

In Goodell's case, that means be prepared for something dishonest.

Moves of Cheater
As with many complex news events, as time passes, the public tends to settle on simplified versions of the truth -- a particularly tricky issue in Deflategate with a public so widely misinformed on the basics of the case. One of the more persistent rationalizations from the Deflategate aftermath is that this mess is what the players agreed to in the CBA.

And that makes absolutely no sense.

The players did agree to let the league's commissioner be the arbiter in player conduct issues. And the language in Article 46 around "conduct detrimental" is painfully thin. But nobody agreed to the league using their concussion attorneys to produce massive documents concealing and aborting reality to frame a player. Nobody agreed to the use of a notorious consulting firm to make the league's JV science experiment marry up with a runaway narrative they planted. Nobody agreed to let Goodell change the accusation at appeal once science inarguably proved the initial accusation as bunk.

The NFLPA simply failed to predict the league would act with such scumbaggery. The players may have worn a revealing dress, but they didn't agree to be raped.

USATSI, Goodell & NFLPA Executive Director, DeMaurice Smith
It takes a morally corruptible leader to stand before the world in a Super Bowl press conference and proclaim precisely the opposite of what he's doing. But that's exactly what Roger Goodell did.

"We want the truth...that's what I think our fans want, that's what our clubs want. And so what we want to do is make sure we find that truth."

Behind the scenes, we now know his office was actively preventing the public from knowing the truth that would shame the league -- the real PSI measurements that a high school student could plug into a formula, obliterating the foolish accusation that started it all.

This is the stark new reality for players in the NFL. With critical negotiations to come between themselves and Goodell's league, the players must step to the table with clear eyes and full hearts. Or they will fall further behind the league's foremost cheater.

http://www.footballbyfootball.com/column/roger-goodell-found-his-cheater-in-the-mirror

That's as personally destructive an article I've ever read on Roger.

I loved every line.

Please, if you do nothing else today, click the link and get everyone you know to as well.

I'll be interested to see if Matt gets a phone call.

I am starting to understand now where Hawg was coming from when he had said Brady should concede and the crap storm that would follow. Here we are on the precipice of TC and the GOAT, best QB in the game is suspended and journalists are sitting back and saying, what the hell? Why again is Brady suspended? He gave up the fight for the good of his team with a brief FB message thanking those who supported him so he can pursue another title and here is the scumbag Roger with his made up witch hunt? It has been interesting to me that Roger has not taken a victory lap. He has been silent and just saying DG was over a long time ago. Perhaps the owners told him to just zip it. And Brady has not said one word disparaging him either which seems to be just fanning the flames.

These hate articles of Goodell are going to go on from now until Brady returns as people will say to themselves over and over, why is it again that the GOAT is suspended for the same amount of games as the weed smoking Bell and PED taking Jones? Oh yeah, friggin Roger and his power trip. The commish who is the worst in NFL history.

I am starting to understand now where Hawg was coming from when he had said Brady should concede and the crap storm that would follow. Here we are on the precipice of TC and the GOAT, best QB in the game is suspended and journalists are sitting back and saying, what the hell? Why again is Brady suspended? He gave up the fight for the good of his team with a brief FB message thanking those who supported him so he can pursue another title and here is the scumbag Roger with his made up witch hunt? It has been interesting to me that Roger has not taken a victory lap. He has been silent and just saying DG was over a long time ago. Perhaps the owners told him to just zip it. And Brady has not said one word disparaging him either which seems to be just fanning the flames.

These hate articles of Goodell are going to go on from now until Brady returns as people will say to themselves over and over, why is it again that the GOAT is suspended for the same amount of games as the weed smoking Bell and PED taking Jones? Oh yeah, friggin Roger and his power trip. The commish who is the worst in NFL history.

IMO, the haters think Brady has been suspended for the plot to deflate footballs and his lack of cooperation.

IMO, the haters think Brady has been suspended for the plot to deflate footballs and his lack of cooperation.

I wasn't talking about the haters. They would want Brady suspended for using too much hair gel. The reality is even if Brady was 100 percent guilty of everything accused of, a team fine for the balls and a fine for Brady for not turning over his phone is what the penalty should have been. The fact that the league had to concoct one of the silliest investigations ever and then run a sham appeal and lie in fed court just adds to the narrative that Goodell is a complete buffoon and Brady comes out as a sympathetic figure and motivated as heck to go get ring #5.

Well after all, as reported, all the Patriots balls were way under inflated while all of the Colts balls were fine. Also, Brady smashed his phone instead of turning it over.

Who wouldn't hate the Patriots for that?

:coffee:

Believe me when I state that I thought long and hard about my beliefs that Brady should put the sword down and I truly believe that articles like this and a few others that have surfaced in recent days are going to be the tip of an iceberg by the end of September.

I despise what Goodell is and stands for as much as anybody (except, possibly, NumberCruncher who is full-on gangsta) and I hate the thought of him getting a "win" in any way.

But, I'm going to reiterate my feelings. This is far from over and Brady is going to be far more effective a symbol of the sickness that infests this league while in exile than he ever would have been in taking his case to the Supreme Court. Missing those four games will speak louder than another long, drawn-out session in front of people wearing robes.

I don't believe his legacy will be tainted much, if at all, by any of this. I believe that history will depict him as an honorable, stand-up guy who was railroaded by a corrupt system and fought tooth and nail for what was right. We will always believe in the guy, but outside of our snow globe I think his image will begin to be viewed with grudging admiration. Once the Outlanders get wised-up by articles like that gem from Matt Chatham and the dozens, perhaps hundreds, that will follow.

Roger shouldn't be blowing out a rotator cuff patting himself on the back anytime soon. Even now there are sappers under his wire and the negative publicity that this is going to generate is going to generate for him is going to knock down his castle walls and ultimately make it impossible for him to function in public.

Roger Goodell is well on his way to becoming radioactive and nobody is going to want to get near him.

Back