Roger Goodell Faces A Number of Issues

I don't think it is just about lawsuits. The game has been altered in terms of the rules and how it is played because of the concussions. The new rules have almost made the game unrecognizable in just the past 10 years. Now there is real talk about getting rid of the kick-off. I mean that is just insane.

Rog is fighting a losing battle on this front. As long as their is tackling and hitting, concussions are never going away. Calvin Johnson said concussions happen on every play. Every play.

I mean now much longer can the NFL really get away from this? You know they are lost when Irsay compared playing football to taking aspirins. I mean that is where ownership is. There is no answer except to stop playing. We are already seeing high school programs being eliminated. Pros are retiring earlier and prospects are walking away altogether. The movie Concussion said all it would take for the NFL to go under would be for 10 percent of parents to not put their kids in football. That is happening and will continue to increase.
I'd be curious to know how they reached that conclusion. It doesn't seem to pass the smell test. Even at a 20% reduction, there would still be more than enough players to stock all the college teams, (and in particular, the major conferences which are essentially the minor league for the NFL).

I'd be curious to know how they reached that conclusion. It doesn't seem to pass the smell test. Even at a 20% reduction, there would still be more than enough players to stock all the college teams, (and in particular, the major conferences which are essentially the minor league for the NFL).

I don't know. It was in the movie but not elaborated on. I would think it has to do with the quality of the product. So few make it to Division 1 schools much less the pros so a 10 percent reduction would be crippling to the overall product.

A long work stoppage is coming. Players will not allow Goodell to have that much power in the new CBA and Goodell will never relinquish any of his power.

If the NFL, and football in general, does die out due to the CTE issue then it won't be because players won't play the game. Future contracts will contain a box to check that states that the player knows that he is endangering his health and is of sound body and mind to make the decision to both play and absolve the NFL of all liabilities. They used to sell cigarettes without a warning on every box and the two industries have more in common than just hiring Exponent for the Wells Report.

No, if football dies it'll be primarily due to huge (and numerous) lawsuits and to a lesser extent due to sponsors dropping the sport because consumer Moms (and some Dads, to be fair) don't want any part of it. Because football will become socially abhorrent to the masses.

At some point the sport will peak and then begin the death spiral into irrelevance and ultimately non-existence. Probably.

Maybe there is some scientific mitigation in equipment or Nike brain pump devices that can keep it going, but right now it doesn't look good for anything of substance that can really help the situation and have it still be football.

I myself wonder when that peak will be reached. I think it will be pretty soon the way things are going. Perhaps a few seasons. It all depends on how effective Roger and his herd of sycophants are at obfuscating and delaying the inevitable to they can keep topping the money tanks until the floorboards collapse beneath their wing-tipped loafers.

Of course, that is all idle speculation on my part.

A long work stoppage is coming. Players will not allow Goodell to have that much power in the new CBA and Goodell will never relinquish any of his power.

How much is that worth to the NFLPA to stop Goodell from abusing his powers when only a handful of players come under his rule each year?

Maybe the other 2000 players won't want to trade anything of value for that in the next negotiation.

How much is that worth to the NFLPA to stop Goodell from abusing his powers when only a handful of players come under his rule each year?

Maybe the other 2000 players won't want to trade anything of value for that in the next negotiation.

Given how much the PA is spending in court, it is worth it on some level financially.

I agree. There is NO WAY most of them will vote to go without checks. A vast amount of them spend like drunken sailors. They are terrible with their money. If the NFLPA wants to strengthen their union they must first do all they can to get these financial morons to stop spending every dollar they make so they can afford to get more freedom/fairness in their employment.

Anything Roger wants.

You can see what a petty tyrant he is when pizza is ordered in and the standing order is that NO ONE can take a slice before Emperor Goodell. That says something about a man.

With the pizza situation it's not that he's a tyrant imposing his will on others, the problem is that Goodell is oblivious to what is going on around him and the impact he is having on others.

Classic flaw of self-important leaders.

Good Luck With This.

Remaking Goodell’s Image: Mission Impossible?

Joe Lockhart once helped successfully steer Bill Clinton through impeachment. Now, as the NFL’s top PR official, the former White House press secretary takes on an equally daunting task: repairing the image of the league and its embattled commissioner
. . .

Now Lockhart takes on his heftiest public relations challenge since the Clinton administration. In January he replaced Paul Hicks as the NFL’s vice president of communications. The job, as described by Hicks, is “to manage the league’s reputation.” That’s an amorphous role in an organization of 5,000, covering issues ranging from inappropriate Instagrams to criminal behavior to Washington litigation. But the most defined of Lockhart’s responsibilities is also his most difficult: repair Roger Goodell’s image.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/07/20/nfl-joe-lockhart-roger-goodell

Actually, I take that back. I hope it crashes and burns.

Spinelessness and lack of true leadership.
He's like Haynesworth, in it just for the paycheck.

The owners, via Roger (their tool), scored HUGE in this.

They'll continue to turn Roger loose. They'll be another 5-10 instances of intentional over exhuberence as far as punishment and suspensions are considered. Maybe another significant legal proceeding or 3. Possibly another $75 mil tossed into the legal incinerator.

Come 2021 when the CBA is to be addressed again one of the top priorities for the PA will be to harness or remove altogether Rog's power. And the owners will be all too willing to accommodate. For a cost.

Tops on their wish list? 18 game regular season. Hands down. You want Roger out as discipline chief? The cost is 2 more games. And further? You can name the new guy or panel. Cart blanche. We don't care. That's the deal.

So for $100-150 mil and the black eyes their league commissioner is faced to endure (no sympathy, he makes $40+ Mil) the league gets their top wish. How much do you think they rake in 2 more regular season takes? Add revenue alone would pay this investment cost 10 times over.

And the key in the meantime is really just alienating 1 fan base. The other 31 look in interested, some more curiously than others. Some outright angered at the patently clear injustices. But by far most just happy it's not their team. This time.

At the RNC:

Cn8MiZiW8AESVqv.jpg

ROFL

At the RNC:

Cn8MiZiW8AESVqv.jpg

ROFL

Can't even believe that someone is wearing a "Jesus Hates Sin" t-shirt.

Brought up Catholic and still somewhat practicing, I've been told that Jesus doesn't hate anything. In fact, sin is what brings us closer to Him (well, in a roundabout way.)

Carry on....

The owners, via Roger (their tool), scored HUGE in this.

They'll continue to turn Roger loose. They'll be another 5-10 instances of intentional over exhuberence as far as punishment and suspensions are considered. Maybe another significant legal proceeding or 3. Possibly another $75 mil tossed into the legal incinerator.

Come 2021 when the CBA is to be addressed again one of the top priorities for the PA will be to harness or remove altogether Rog's power. And the owners will be all too willing to accommodate. For a cost.

Tops on their wish list? 18 game regular season. Hands down. You want Roger out as discipline chief? The cost is 2 more games. And further? You can name the new guy or panel. Cart blanche. We don't care. That's the deal.

So for $100-150 mil and the black eyes their league commissioner is faced to endure (no sympathy, he makes $40+ Mil) the league gets their top wish. How much do you think they rake in 2 more regular season takes? Add revenue alone would pay this investment cost 10 times over.

And the key in the meantime is really just alienating 1 fan base. The other 31 look in interested, some more curiously than others. Some outright angered at the patently clear injustices. But by far most just happy it's not their team. This time.

I've heard a few variations of this theme. That the owner's end game is really to keep the players' share of the profits down and they will negotiate on discipline and more games, etc.

Maybe there is some merit in it, but the contract with the NFLPA doesn't expire until 2021. It's hard for me to imagine that the owner's want 5 more years of mayhem and poor publicity just to elminate a few percentage points down the road.

If that contract was expiring sooner, then, yes, I think there might be something going on, but if the last two years of Goodell fvck-ups is really a red herring then they might have shot their wads prematurely. And I don't believe it is just in New England, either. There is and has been bad publicity all over the place and that may get much worse.

Those profit margins might start drying up before we ever get to 2021, but I'm not saying that you are wrong in believing it's a front.

I've heard a few variations of this theme. That the owner's end game is really to keep the players' share of the profits down and they will negotiate on discipline and more games, etc.

Maybe there is some merit in it, but the contract with the NFLPA doesn't expire until 2021. It's hard for me to imagine that the owner's want 5 more years of mayhem and poor publicity just to elminate a few percentage points down the road.

If that contract was expiring sooner, then, yes, I think there might be something going on, but if the last two years of Goodell fvck-ups is really a red herring then they might have shot their wads prematurely. And I don't believe it is just in New England, either. There is and has been bad publicity all over the place and that may get much worse.

Those profit margins might start drying up before we ever get to 2021, but I'm not saying that you are wrong in believing it's a front.

They're only fvck ups when you look at them thru a players lens. Viewed from the other angle they are strategic bricks stacked in place for a massive monetary end game. The only way to get that revenue - and that's ALL the current owner class cares of - is to coerce the PA. In order to do that they'll have to cede something. The easiest thing to give up is the out of control commish power. Who cares after all?

Player get their guy or panel in. A small bump in the pie. Owners get increased revenue. Less headaches with a new punitive commitee. And peace.

For a bit.

Back