SB XLV: Jets over Cowboys

Plus I don't care about Dallas and what they do and won't until they're in the playoffs. The Jets, though? They worry me.

I agree. I think they are better than most around here think.

As for the prediction, I don't have much of a problem with it. I probably wouldn't predict those two teams but it is not out of the question. It seems like it is a crapshoot in the NFC. I would put any of the Saints, Crackboys, Vikings, and Giants in the mix and take your pick at this point. As for the Jets pick, if Sanchez has a decent sophomore year, that defense can carry them far.

Why the Cowboys will win the NFC

1. Championship continuity...

ummm...

don't you actually have to WIN a championship to have "championship continuity"...?:shrug:

winning 1 playoff game in 14 years isn't quite a championship.

I agree. I think they are better than most around here think.

As for the prediction, I don't have much of a problem with it. I probably wouldn't predict those two teams but it is not out of the question. It seems like it is a crapshoot in the NFC. I would put any of the Saints, Crackboys, Vikings, and Giants in the mix and take your pick at this point. As for the Jets pick, if Sanchez has a decent sophomore year, that defense can carry them far.

The afc is more of a crap shoot than the nfc. If the jets were not running around telling everyone they are going to win the superbowl, nobody would be talking about them. I actually wait till teams prove they can win their division before I start calling them superbowl contenders, the jets have not done that in 8 years.

All sweat the jesters............ NOT They have proven NOTHING, period. These CLOWNS just hand over titles, when the fact of the matter is the Jesters have to beat the PATS to get there and I don't see that happening. They were GIVEN the playoffs last year, they didn't DESERVE to be there, and anyone knows that once you get there(any given Sunday) anything can happen..... They have a SHITTY QB, are they going to overcome that again? The Pats of last year were not that good in my eyes, and they were still better than the clowns from the dump down south.

I don't care what anyone did last year or the last ten years. It's what's going to happen this year.

On paper, the Jets look like contenders. Their QB isn't all that shitty and has another year under his belt, a more veteran and experienced team to play behind. Losing Faneca might have been a mistake for them, but other than that, they look solid. And they have a loud mouth, trash-talking coach, who is also very good at what he does. So what that they haven't done anything in years? That's meaningless to me.

THIS is the only year that counts. And while I like the team that BB has put together, I have my concerns. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the Jets are going to win the division, much less the SB, but the possibility is out there. Their defense is going to be tough, while ours is still questionable in my eyes.

I don't care what anyone did last year or the last ten years. It's what's going to happen this year.

On paper, the Jets look like contenders. Their QB isn't all that shitty and has another year under his belt, a more veteran and experienced team to play behind. Losing Faneca might have been a mistake for them, but other than that, they look solid. And they have a loud mouth, trash-talking coach, who is also very good at what he does. So what that they haven't done anything in years? That's meaningless to me.

THIS is the only year that counts. And while I like the team that BB has put together, I have my concerns. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the Jets are going to win the division, much less the SB, but the possibility is out there. Their defense is going to be tough, while ours is still questionable in my eyes.

Not sure the formula for a superbowl team is "their Qb isn't all that shitty" Don't forget they lost two running backs that accumilated 1600 yards rushing last year and 14 td's. Now you can say that oh the ones they have now will do the same, but thats a guess. I am always under the notion that until you do something, you can't. I have to be proven things, and the jets have not proven they can even win their division yet.

Not sure the formula for a superbowl team is "their Qb isn't all that shitty" Don't forget they lost two running backs that accumilated 1600 yards rushing last year and 14 td's. Now you can say that oh the ones they have now will do the same, but thats a guess. I am always under the notion that until you do something, you can't. I have to be proven things, and the jets have not proven they can even win their division yet.

That 1600 yds amounts to 100 yds/game. That's a lot of offense to make up with Sanchez who threw for 8 TDs and 20 ints. last year. I hope he starts the year really hot so that by the time he plays vs the Pats, he is slinging it with abandon. Overconfidence is deadly for young QBs.

That 1600 yds amounts to 100 yds/game. That's a lot of offense to make up with Sanchez who threw for 8 TDs and 20 ints. last year. I hope he starts the year really hot so that by the time he plays vs the Pats, he is slinging it with abandon. Overconfidence is deadly for young QBs.

Its funny that nobody ever considers the kid could be a bust. I mean its not unheard of in todays football. If he had a year like Ryan or flacco, then I could see the hype machine taking off, but he by all accounts was horrid. Especially on a team with a top defense and a hell run game. That should make it much easier for him and it didnt seem to. They were not asking him to do hardly anything and he still had 20 ints.

Its funny that nobody ever considers the kid could be a bust. I mean its not unheard of in todays football. If he had a year like Ryan or flacco, then I could see the hype machine taking off, but he by all accounts was horrid. Especially on a team with a top defense and a hell run game. That should make it much easier for him and it didnt seem to. They were not asking him to do hardly anything and he still had 20 ints.

and 8 fumbles...:coffee:

I don't know, that seemed to be the formula for the Ravens in 2000.

Bucs in 2002 as well.

Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson at that point in their careers >then Dirty Sanchez.

In order for the Jesters to be a real contender he's going to have to be at least capable of managing the office. As soon as LdT steps on the field and strains his vagina the running game is effed...not that it more or less isn't all ready.

Jesters go 8-8, Pats, with BB directly running the defense again, go 12-4, maybe 13-3, win the division again and cause mass numbers of suicides among Jesters fans.

I don't know, that seemed to be the formula for the Ravens in 2000.

Every year, 4 out of the top 5 defenses do not win the superbowl, so its not a formula, its a fluke, I can name you 8 other times a good to great Qb was winning the superbowl this decade, so if saying 20 percent of the time is a good formula, then I say go for it jets. Although Brad Johnson was a pro bowler that year and The ravens were not moving the ball a bit until dilfer took over and he didnt get near 20 ints like sanchez did.

Neither of these teams will even make the playoffs this year.

I can't wait. Personally, I think they start 0-3.

That would be epic. I don't know if the Jest will open up 0-3, but at some point this year they will drop three in a row and the wheels will come off the (short) bus. Between the media turning on them, the players turning on the coach, the coach coming unglued, and the fans turning on each other it should be awesome comedy for us. ROFL

The Jets have to be the most overrated 9-7 team ever. If the Colts and the Bengals did lie down at the end of the season they wouldn't have even made the playoffs.

My guess?

My guess is the Pats end up with a higher rated defense than the Jesters next year

The offense isn't even comparable, they have a SHITTY QB.

MMy guess is the Pats end up with a higher rated defense than the Jesters next year

I think that's a distinct possibility.

For all the hype of the Jets defense, from a pure personnel perspective they just aren't that good:

- Their DL is very average. Kris Jenkins is a beast when on but can't be counted on for a full season. Sione Pouha is average as a backup NT. Shaun Ellis turns 33 and is undersized against the run. Rodrique Wright, Jason Lamb and Vernon Gholston are hardly overwhelming at the other DE spot.

- Their starting ILBs are very solid with David Harris and Bart Scott. Not much depth after that, however.

- Their OLBs are solid but not spectacular, with Calvin Pace and Bryan Thomas. I don't think Jason Taylor is going to be much of a factor. Kevin Basped is an unproven rookie. Kenwin Cummings is a JAG.

- Jim Leonhard is a solid if undersized safety. Eric Smith has been inconsistent. Brodney Pool hasn't been overwhelming in 5 previous seasons.

- CB is obviously the strength of the defense. Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie, Kyle Wilson and Dwight Lowery are a very deep and strong group.

I don't see anything about the Jets' defensive personnel that screams out that they should be much better than everyone else. In particular, they are very lacking in depth, and a couple of injuries could devestate their defense. I also think that they achieved a lot by virtue of scheming with smoke and mirrors last season, and teams will eventually adjust to them, much as they did with Buddy Ryan's 4-6 defense. Once teams figure out how to deal with the scheme, the personnel just isn't good enough to dominate. I think the Ravens and Steelers both have stronger overall personnel on defense.

I think the Pats have a much deeper defense across the board, at almost every position (CB is comparable). The Pats have a better DL and better safeties. The Jets have better starting OLBs and the best CB in Revis (though the Pats CBs otherwise should be able to hold their own).

I will personally be surprised if the Jets defense dominates this year. I think it's quite possible that they end up not in the top 5.

Back