Should The NFL Allow Medical Marijuana Use?

Should the NFL allow medical marijuana use?

• Yes

Votes: 20 74.1%
  • No

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • No, more research first

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • No opinion

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No it doesn't.

People who suffer from a propensity to drug abuse have often have used marijuana, but marijuana doesn't "cause" use of or addiction to other substances.

Correlation and causation are not the same thing.

By the same token, how many drug addicted individuals got drunk before they got high?

If you could wave a magic wand and make it so weed never existed that would cure a grand total of zero cases of opiate addiction.

It is, in fact, a gateway drug.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-truth-about-pot/

Discussion of "gateway" issue about 1/2 way down the page.

The problem with the gateway hypothesis is it self selects for addictive persons. If you ask an opiate addict "have you used Marijuana?" I'd expect the answer to be close to 100%. I think the study should be to look at how many Marijuana users move on to "harder" drugs and compare that to other potential "gateway" intoxicants.

Just because many in the league may do it is not a valid reason for legalizing. I am sure many do coke and amphetamines too. I don't want Pats players to be able to legally take a performance inhibitor. Many teams have rules on alcohol consumption for this reason. Performance is effected.

What drug do you think is used for the treatment of ADD? I gave you a clue. What do you think is the treatment for pain? Opiates, they already take a legal performance inhibitors.

Opiates can produce a quick, intense feeling of pleasure followed by a sense of well-being and a calm drowsiness. But they can also become an addiction. If someone uses opiates again and again, his or her brain is likely to become dependent on them.

While Marijuana may be a "gateway" drug. Opiates are by far more addictive and lead to addiction and /or heroin abuse far more frequently.

~Dee~

The tin foil hat hearer in me thinks Weed today is modified and does not resemble weed of years ago, That this is done to start the process and lead to other drug use. From personal observations of friends I believe that 9 out of 10 went on to coke and more from starting with pot. Now is the progression because of addiction or just the personality of that group? We were 50/50, half the kids smoked/drank and the other half only drank. I only witnessed addictive behavior with the stronger drugs but often wonder if they would have done that 1st line if the never smoked. Or what was in some of the weed they ended up and had bad highs?

But it is a gateway drug. That has changed as the GMO's have changed the weed potency.

Personally I think medical is a wonderful thing, did wonders for ailing friends. And if it is weed or opiates, smoke weed

What drug do you think is used for the treatment of ADD? I gave you a clue. What do you think is the treatment for pain? Opiates, they already take a legal performance inhibitors.

Opiates can produce a quick, intense feeling of pleasure followed by a sense of well-being and a calm drowsiness. But they can also become an addiction. If someone uses opiates again and again, his or her brain is likely to become dependent on them.

While Marijuana may be a "gateway" drug. Opiates are by far more addictive and lead to addiction and /or heroin abuse far more frequently.

~Dee~

Mary has a stigma about it mainly (in my opin) because it's illegal. If it was legal, it wouldn't be such a controversial subject. Prohibition is a good example.

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

The tin foil hat hearer in me thinks Weed today is modified and does not resemble weed of years ago, That this is done to start the process and lead to other drug use. From personal observations of friends I believe that 9 out of 10 went on to coke and more from starting with pot. Now is the progression because of addiction or just the personality of that group? We were 50/50, half the kids smoked/drank and the other half only drank. I only witnessed addictive behavior with the stronger drugs but often wonder if they would have done that 1st line if the never smoked. Or what was in some of the weed they ended up and had bad highs?

But it is a gateway drug. That has changed as the GMO's have changed the weed potency.

Personally I think medical is a wonderful thing, did wonders for ailing friends. And if it is weed or opiates, smoke weed

Ok...booze, cigs and caffeine are the main gateway drugs though. :coffee:

Mary has a stigma about it mainly (in my opin) because it's illegal. If it was legal, it wouldn't be such a controversial subject. Prohibition is a good example.

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

Ok...booze, cigs and caffeine are the main gateway drugs though. :coffee:
Is it illegal because the prohibition cops needed something to fight and keep their jobs?

They may be but more pot smokers went onto coke than just alcohol drinkers in my life.

Btw I voted "no opinion" despite having one. Not a fan of smoking in general.

Again I was the

Is it illegal because the prohibition cops needed something to fight and keep their jobs?

They may be but more pot smokers went onto coke than just alcohol drinkers in my life.

Btw I voted "no opinion" despite having one. Not a fan of smoking in general.

Again I was the

Originally, I think that it was illegal because of big pharma companies and all of their prescription drugs. Big corporations run the world. Hemp and mary (related) were too much competition for their products. The THC was just their excuse.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vD3snUVJiQE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This question is very simple to answer. YES!!! This entire country needs to get over the whole "marijuana is the devil" ideas. It's incomprehensible to me that in many eyes, MJ is a class 1 drug, in the same park as Heroin , meth, coke and so on. So many people have benefited from the use of marijuana, it's not even funny. From pain relief, to ADD/ADHD to seizure control and so on. But hey, if DR's say to use oxy or Vicodin it must be safe.

Marijuana comes in so many different strains and levels anymore. It really is a science. It's not the devil.

Mine was a different experience. Those that smoke and drank never went further. Those that didn't went on to coke later in life. Most in of those in younger generation I've dealt with went either way. Those in the twenty something group went to herein but they went there after taking opiates or stealing from parents. Others got addicted to adderal sold by their friends suffering from ADD. The generation prior was crack. All cheap alternatives easy to get.

Is it a "gateway"drug as much as all other addictive behavior is.

~Dee~

Mine was a different experience. Those that smoke and drank never went further. Those that didn't went on to coke later in life. Most in younger generation I've dealt with went either way. Those in the twenty something group went to herion but they went there after taking opiates or stealing from parents. Others got addicted to adderal sold by their friends suffering from ADD. The generation prior was crack. All cheap alternatives easy to get.

Is it a "gateway"drug as much as all other addictive behavior is.

~Dee~
my experience was in the 80-mid 90's so it is dated. I am old now :)

Today I see a lot of opiates being dished out. When I was young pills were a minimal but today they are plentiful. And ADD meds the kids got are now the equivelent of medical pot. Kids are all claiming to need it and know doctors who will get them it. What I mean is I bet at every college the upper classmen told the freshmen to see Doctor X to get ADD meds much like it is now see doctor X for medical pot.

What is scary is it seems people are too quick to NEED something. It is an excuse at times... Your Grades are bad, well you can't focus, take these. It has nothing to do with you not doing the work!

I think about the number of scripts I never filled. Dozens for the injuries I have had. I even asked for a lesser medication and ended up with over the counter Motrin or Tylenol instead. All meds scare me including antibiotics because sooner or later I will require a different type or a stronger dose.

And again I have witnessed the benefits of weed and cancer patients pain and as I mentioned MS among other things. If it takes the game pain away from NFL players, they should be able to use it. I personally prefer not to but then again my pain is not unbearable but I remember not being able to move too quickly the Tuesday after a Sunday game and that was far from NFL contact.

That was my experience too growing up. Many more who did pot went on to more serious drugs.

AHern was known to toke heavily most of the time here...as were numerous other players.

Willie Mac is close to Snoop Dog...

Welker likes his MDMA...

Ty Law...had to blame his cousin.

Chandler Jones...

I mean, you could go on and on forever here...

etc...
I am not arguing at all that players don't smoke pot or do other drugs. I am arguing for not legalizing it because it is a performance inhibitor. Perhaps Welker's key drops in the SB and AFCCG were from his MDMA's. The difference between winning and losing at the NFL is razor sharp. I want to have the team I root for in the best possible condition to compete so I am against legalizing performance inhibiting drugs. To me it is that simple. I have no issue if the doctors/league want to use it medicinally. But I don't want it taken off the ban list for recreational use.

I am not arguing at all that players don't smoke pot or do other drugs. I am arguing for not legalizing it because it is a performance inhibitor. Perhaps Welker's key drops in the SB and AFCCG were from his MDMA's. The difference between winning and losing at the NFL is razor sharp. I want to have the team I root for in the best possible condition to compete so I am against legalizing performance inhibiting drugs. To me it is that simple. I have no issue if the doctors/league want to use it medicinally. But I don't want it taken off the ban list for recreational use.

I guess you could draft the entire starting lineup from BYU...

Do you have proof that MJ is a performance inhibitor? I don't think that is a fair statement. In fact it could easily be considered a performance enhancer. Have you ever talked to someone with ADHD? There are so many stories out there about the kid the could not concentrate and were failing out of school. Only to be saved by pot because it gave them the ability to concentrate. Then go on to graduate college an d become a very successful member of our society. Pot does not just make you a couch potato.

Do you have proof that MJ is a performance inhibitor? I don't think that is a fair statement. In fact it could easily be considered a performance enhancer. Have you ever talked to someone with ADHD? There are so many stories out there about the kid the could not concentrate and were failing out of school. Only to be saved by pot because it gave them the ability to concentrate. Then go on to graduate college an d become a very successful member of our society. Pot does not just make you a couch potato.

I am only talking in the arena of professional sports.

my experience was in the 80-mid 90's so it is dated. I am old now :)

Today I see a lot of opiates being dished out. When I was young pills were a minimal but today they are plentiful. And ADD meds the kids got are now the equivelent of medical pot. Kids are all claiming to need it and know doctors who will get them it. What I mean is I bet at every college the upper classmen told the freshmen to see Doctor X to get ADD meds much like it is now see doctor X for medical pot.

What is scary is it seems people are too quick to NEED something. It is an excuse at times... Your Grades are bad, well you can't focus, take these. It has nothing to do with you not doing the work!

I think about the number of scripts I never filled. Dozens for the injuries I have had. I even asked for a lesser medication and ended up with over the counter Motrin or Tylenol instead. All meds scare me including antibiotics because sooner or later I will require a different type or a stronger dose.

And again I have witnessed the benefits of weed and cancer patients pain and as I mentioned MS among other things. If it takes the game pain away from NFL players, they should be able to use it. I personally prefer not to but then again my pain is not unbearable but I remember not being able to move too quickly the Tuesday after a Sunday game and that was far from NFL contact.

Every generation had the go to drug and still does. There are DR X's for all legal drugs unfortunately. Your right they give opiates out like candy.

Valium was the housewives drug of choice in the 50's and 60's another drug that was given out like candy.

I'm a bit older so all drugs were pretty abundant in my generation. I'd say alcohol ( the drinking age was 18) and pot were the go to but others dabbled in hallucinogens too. Heroin was around also.

The 80's and 90's was Ecstasy and coke.

Oxycontin and Adderall were the drugs of choice when my older kids were in HS. Pot wasn't really in vogue although you could still get it. Alcohol, Cigarettes, and dip were also abundant and easily available. Those hooked on Oxycontin ended up on heroin a cheap alternative.

The next group stuck with the above, minus the cigarettes, sniffing glue was a cheap and readily available alternative, and heroin reared it's ugly head once again.

Then it was huffing and now cough meds. they're all "gateway drugs".

Pot has been readily available throughout the whole time as has been alcohol, cigarettes. 2 are very additive (alcohol and cigarettes) meaning it's psychical and you go through withdrawal. Pot is more a dependency problem, which is behavioral and no withdrawal. Once you go through additive withdrawal you still suffer from dependency.

I like you really don't like to take opiates. I've had a number of major surgeries and the anesthesia itself make me pretty sick so the last thing I want is to press that little PCA button. They do give me spinal anesthesia towards the end of surgery which works for about 24 hours. They can't give any oral pain meds until you can keep solids down. The last surgery was 8 hours I was sick for 3 days needless to say I really wasn't given much for pain relief went home with 3 scripts and never really used any.

Everyone is different and handles pain differently, opiates given for a short period of time and low doses theoretically shouldn't be a problem. It's when it's given for longer periods that the problems start.

There are what we call pain management DR's which most patients suffering from long term pain or chronic pain should be referred to. They specialize in treating pain and can keep track of all meds. and watch for problems. It's not the perfect solution but it's better.

~Dee~

Back