Should The NFL Allow Medical Marijuana Use?

Should the NFL allow medical marijuana use?

• Yes

Votes: 20 74.1%
  • No

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • No, more research first

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • No opinion

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There are what we call pain management DR's which most patients suffering from long term pain or chronic pain should be referred to. They specialize in treating pain and can keep track of all meds. and watch for problems. It's not the perfect solution but it's better.

~Dee~
IMO any time you get more than a certain number (to be determined) of pain meds you should go to a pain management DR for the reasons you state.

and yes there are many gateway drugs (I forgot about Dip) I am just refuting the claims that pot is not one - I know too many people who became dependent on it, not getting out of bed until they took a toke or two for it not to be. Like anything that changes your mood, it has to have some long term effect.

Cold meds are such a pain in the ass to get I never take them anymore, only getting them for the kids when they are real sick - like me, they hate taking meds even when Doctor tells them they must.

I think the issue is purity of the drugs, everything is stronger, like beer used to be 4-5% ABV, now they are popping up to 8-9.9%. the Street drugs are getting pure and the scary thing is I know Sam Adams is a constant ABV but the street dealer is cutting and mixing heroin, for example, so to me you never know what you are getting. What worked yesterday may not be the same today and many are OD'ing. I do not know how anyone puts that into their body.

I am only talking in the arena of professional sports.

I understand. I'm just making a point that for some folks, athletes as well MJ can actually help. Just cause your an athlete doesn't mean you become old mattress back.

I'm in my fifties and I flat out have a deep fear of opiates, I will avoid them at all costs. I've seen to many people my age who where prescribed opiates for some form of chronic pain and became addicted. It does not end well.

Should I ever develop a chronic pain condition I will request a medical cannabis prescription. Keep the Phentenal.

IMO any time you get more than a certain number (to be determined) of pain meds you should go to a pain management DR for the reasons you state.

and yes there are many gateway drugs (I forgot about Dip) I am just refuting the claims that pot is not one - I know too many people who became dependent on it, not getting out of bed until they took a toke or two for it not to be. Like anything that changes your mood, it has to have some long term effect.

Cold meds are such a pain in the ass to get I never take them anymore, only getting them for the kids when they are real sick - like me, they hate taking meds even when Doctor tells them they must.

I think the issue is purity of the drugs, everything is stronger, like beer used to be 4-5% ABV, now they are popping up to 8-9.9%. the Street drugs are getting pure and the scary thing is I know Sam Adams is a constant ABV but the street dealer is cutting and mixing heroin, for example, so to me you never know what you are getting. What worked yesterday may not be the same today and many are OD'ing. I do not know how anyone puts that into their body.

I know your not. Just trying to clarify the position that tons of things can be considered "gateway" and each generation has their version. I think some may confuse addiction with dependency and thought it's important to the whole "gateway" discussion to clarify.

IMHO it's all up to the individual person when it comes to choices/dependency and were it leads. One of my mothers funniest moments when growing up, had to do with the fact we listen to the Dead. All her friends told her it was a motorcycle gang. She was worried we run off and join the Hells Angels and do all sorts of drugs. I kid you not

I agree with the rest, with a caveat, if pot was decriminalized and sold like beer regulated and taxed it would be considered the same as Sam Adam's and highly regulated.

~Dee~

http://www.newsweek.com/marijuana-not-gateway-drug-325358

In many cases, this argument is a matter of semantics. Is it true that MJ is often one of many in an escalating sequence of drug encounters? Of course, but MJ is not unique in that progression so the "gateway" tag becomes arbitrary and effectively meaningless.

If instead you are saying that there is something intrinsic to MJ that fosters a desire to expand your narcotic repertoire.... well, that would be false. Darth Despot said it best with this line:

If you could wave a magic wand and make it so weed never existed that would cure a grand total of zero cases of opiate addiction.

If MJ were magically removed, something new would take its place or everything else would just move up a step. No more, no less.

I suspect that any "gateway" correlation likely has the causation reversed. Weed shouldn't be illegal because it leads to other drugs, it leads to more drugs than you might normally expect because it is illegal. This manufactures a false resemblance to stronger drugs and increases MJ user's likelihood of encountering them.

That's just a hypothesis of mine, but I suspect it would be validated if ever properly tested. Unlike the idea that pot is a gateway drug. :)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/or4EOhHG6dc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I honestly don't know what to think anymore. I was originally going to go with no opinion, then went with no.

I looked at this yesterday but didn't vote 'til today. I decided to search on the so called drug war that began when I was in school and I vaguely recall us receiving some sort of educational material on it.

Had been thinking recently about that topic and thinking that maybe it might be responsible for many of today's problems ? - imho.

Also found something on the history of drugs in this country - going back to this continent being discovered - interesting - yes, coffee (caffeine) included.

I think that if one has the propensity to become addicted to tobacco, alcohol, opiates, benzodiapines, etc., I'd include MJ on the list.

Is there a problem with opiate addiction ? Yes, but the others also cause numerous health problems that result in the deaths of many people too.

My 2 cents,

Gina

I'm in my fifties and I flat out have a deep fear of opiates, I will avoid them at all costs. I've seen to many people my age who where prescribed opiates for some form of chronic pain and became addicted. It does not end well.

Should I ever develop a chronic pain condition I will request a medical cannabis prescription. Keep the Phentenal.

As someone who has used (and have to use) both, I can definitely say that the MJ helps with avoiding opiates and things like Klonopin and Valium.

I know I'm just a single case and I know there are people who started out smoking a spliff and ended up with an opiate addiction of some form. However, as this is a topic that's very relevant to me, I've read up a good bit and from what I've read re: addiction escalation, it's not about any one substance leading to opiate addiction, it's about certain brain centers that don't cope properly.

Right now I'm in a country with no medical marijuana, save for specific use to reduce spasticity in MS patients and I'm now having to take valium or sleep medications coupled with *codone to deal with my pain issues. That was not the case when I could indulge in the ganj before bedtime.

P.S. I have never had an issue getting up and getting ready for important meetings when using medical marijuana, but that has certainly been the case with these other drugs I'm taking. Especially benzodiazepines.

As someone who has used (and have to use) both, I can definitely say that the MJ helps with avoiding opiates and things like Klonopin and Valium.

I know I'm just a single case and I know there are people who started out smoking a spliff and ended up with an opiate addiction of some form. However, as this is a topic that's very relevant to me, I've read up a good bit and from what I've read re: addiction escalation, it's not about any one substance leading to opiate addiction, it's about certain brain centers that don't cope properly.

Right now I'm in a country with no medical marijuana, save for specific use to reduce spasticity in MS patients and I'm now having to take valium or sleep medications coupled with *codone to deal with my pain issues. That was not the case when I could indulge in the ganj before bedtime.

P.S. I have never had an issue getting up and getting ready for important meetings when using medical marijuana, but that has certainly been the case with these other drugs I'm taking. Especially benzodiazepines.
I saw the benefits of pot on MS, the man never stopped moving during his life despite being told he would be wheelchair bound.

He had quite the greenhouse growing his own, man I miss the guy, it is just over a year.

I see your case as something similar and why is it not offered, I do not know but it has to be better for you than the meds.

Is it illegal because the prohibition cops needed something to fight and keep their jobs?

I was having lunch yesterday with my dad and one of his friends who was a lawyer and this is almost exactly what he said. Said when prohibition was put up for a vote to strike it down, there were a few politicians who refused to vote to get rid of it unless they could criminalize MJ instead. I had never heard that before. I need to check it out.

I honestly think some of it here is a cultural thing. My dad said in his country,you can buy it in the grocery stores but no one cares about it. Only the "holy people" indulge in it to excess. There also isn't the drinking problem in his country like there is here. One of the issues with legalizing it is that the culture here is not eradicated by doing so. I do also believe in genetics factoring in as far as addiction so since this population isn't as homogenous as other countries, vastly different genetics may also play a part. Yet I do believe in being able to do what you want to yourself as long as it doesn't materially harm others. If players choose the drug and the amounts, they also choose all the consequences resulting from those choices so they need to take the responsibility to research their own choices as well.

The main thing standing in the way right now could well be the fact that even though states have legalized it, the Feds haven't so you are still "afoul of the law" in many states and I doubt the CBA is going to be amended to let each team decide on their own how to handle it when it is illegal in some of the member states federally. The way 99% of big business is in bed with the government, I cannot see the NFL allowing this.

I would also encourage ALL players to take advantage of seeking their rightfully owed and rightfully team paid independent second opinion when they are in chronic pain instead of turning to what is now illegal to try to handle it.

Your not a single case, not by a long shot.

~Dee~

Is it illegal because the prohibition cops needed something to fight and keep their jobs?

They may be but more pot smokers went onto coke than just alcohol drinkers in my life.

Btw I voted "no opinion" despite having one. Not a fan of smoking in general.

Again I was the

I was having lunch yesterday with my dad and one of his friends who was a lawyer and this is almost exactly what he said. Said when prohibition was put up for a vote to strike it down, there were a few politicians who refused to vote to get rid of it unless they could criminalize MJ instead. I had never heard that before. I need to check it out.

ok I remember where I read it

Huffington post article

Haven't read the thread but the answer is yes and anyone who disagrees is wrong. MJ is an infinitely better and safer pain killer than the preposterous amount of opoid based painkillers we have these guys taking.

Back