Should The NFL Allow Medical Marijuana Use?

Should the NFL allow medical marijuana use?

• Yes

Votes: 20 74.1%
  • No

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • No, more research first

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • No opinion

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chevss454

Data-driven decision-making is science and art.
Reaction score
Eugene Wilson writes in the Players' Tribune that the answer to pain management in the NFL results in narcotic addiction and long lines on game day. He argues it's time for the NFL to recognize marijuana's medical benefits and to allow it.

On March 9, 2016, I became the first active NFL player to openly advocate for the use of cannabinoids (medical marijuana) to treat chronic pain and head injuries. The NFL relies heavily on opioids to get players back on the field as soon as possible, but studies have shown medical marijuana to be a much better solution; it is safer, less addictive and can even reduce opioid dependence. Some studies have also shown that cannabidiol (CBD) — one of the more than 100 cannabinoids found in marijuana — may function as a neuroprotectant, which means it can shield the cells in the brain from injury or degeneration. We need to learn more about this.

But to the NFL and the NFLPA, marijuana is a banned substance. End of story — even with the mounting evidence of the effectiveness of cannabinoids. A lot of NFL teams are located in states where medical and/or recreational marijuana has already been legalized (a few states in the U.S. have actually legalized it for both purposes).

In fact every team that has won the Super Bowl since 2012, including the Baltimore Ravens, is in a state that has passed some form of progressive marijuana legislation. And the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services even holds a patent (U.S. Patent 6630507), which labels cannabinoids found in marijuana as both anti-inflammatory and neuroprotective, two things that are crucial to the health of NFL players’ bodies and brains. Yet the Drug Enforcement Administration continues to insist that marijuana is a drug with no currently accepted medical use, and that’s enough for commissioner Roger Goodell. “I agree there have been changes [regarding the efficacy of medical marijuana], but not significant enough changes that our medical personnel have changed their view,” he said in February. “Until they do, then I don’t expect that we will change our view.”

I’m not here advocating for NFL players (or anyone) to get high and party while breaking the law. What I’m talking about is the responsibility of the NFL to care for its players. Nineteen players were suspended last season for testing positive for “substances of abuse,” and for some, their careers may be over. Why? For using something that can actually help people? How can a league so casual about the use of addictive opioids take such a hard line on a drug that might provide a safer alternative?

We must make a change. I’m calling for the NFL and the NFLPA to take three actions:

1. Remove marijuana from the banned substances list.
  2. Fund medical marijuana research, especially as it relates to CTE.
  3. Stop overprescribing addictive and harmful opioids.
It’s time for the league to change its practices to better protect players and to set an example for our younger athletes. Painkillers are a part of the college game, too — I know from personal experience. Football is a violent game at every level.
I’m not asking the NFL to prescribe players cannabis. I’m calling on the league to remove its testing protocols for cannabis. It just makes sense.
Why do I care so much about this? I’ve watched teammates and some of my best friends battle with opioid addiction. I got a call recently from an old teammate at the University of Virginia who told me that one of our former UVA teammates — a guy who was a few years ahead of me and who mentored me before going on to play in the NFL — had gotten addicted to pain pills and had essentially vanished. He has left his home for the streets and is now addicted to heroin. My heart is broken for him and his family. There’s a good reason that Senator John McCain is calling for congressional hearings on the links between professional sports and prescription drug addiction. If I had to estimate, I would say that no less than 50% of NFL players have at some point used some kind of pain medication. That’s about 650 players. Half the guys you see on the field every Sunday.

We’ve all got some tough questions to face and I’m willing to do anything it takes to answer those questions. Is the NFL? I’ve donated to researchers at Johns Hopkins and Penn through the Realm of Caring, a great organization that I recently partnered with. I’ve also set up a website with the goal of educating athletes — and the broader community — about the benefits of medical cannabis.
The answer can no longer be pills…. and more pills.
Every NFL player rides the T Train at some point in his career. But we need to be able to get off. The NFL should explore every means available to safely treat chronic pain and traumatic head injuries. And that means that the league needs to take a long, hard look at the benefits of medical marijuana.
Eugene Monroe
Contributor

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/2016-5-23-eugene-monroe-ravens-marijuana-opioids-toradol-nfl/

In a profile of Monroe by Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post, it’s mentioned that a pair of the league’s top medical people participated in a conference call with the researchers Monroe has helped fund with his $80,000 donation.
Monroe’s group talked to Jeff Miller, the NFL’s senior vice president for player health and safety, and neurological surgeon Russell Lonser, a member of the league’s head, neck and spine committee. The league apparently requested the call.
They are interested in learning more about the potential for cannabinoids to help current and former players, as is evidenced by them taking the call, and also expressed a desire to learn more,” said Marcel Bonn-Miller, an assistant professor at the University of Pennsylvania school of medicine.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-up-conference-call-with-marijuana-advocates/

Baby steps

Such a no-brainer. Marijuana has helped me tremendously in coping with chronic pain and it's not like you have to get a strain that makes you sit up and watch the Chappelle show and eat cheese puffs.

A majority of U.S. voters support legalizing marijuana in general, and nearly nine in 10 say VA doctors should be able to prescribe it in pill form to veterans suffering post-traumatic stress disorder, according to polling released Monday.

“The fact that a majority of American voters favors legalizing marijuana in general shows how attitudes about the drug have changed,” said Tim Malloy, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Poll.
Marijuana for recreational purposes has been legalized in Colorado, Washington state, Alaska, Oregon and the District of Columbia.
Eighty-nine percent said they support allowing adults to legally use medical marijuana if prescribed by a doctor. And 87 percent said VA doctors should be allowed to prescribe medical marijuana in pill form, in states where it is legal, to veterans who suffer from PTSD.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jun/6/majority-us-voters-favor-legalizing-marijuana/

Such a no-brainer. Marijuana has helped me tremendously in coping with chronic pain and it's not like you have to get a strain that makes you sit up and watch the Chappelle show and eat cheese puffs.

This!

~Dee~

The issue taking it off the banned list is you will have players taking it recreationally and not just for pain.

The issue taking it off the banned list is you will have players taking it recreationally and not just for pain.
clean for a period of time but no testing during the season - they already are.

---------- Post added at 08:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 AM ----------

It works, and when it's the good stuff? It works like a mofo! :high:
I have heard this from someone with chronic Disease - MS. Helped him a lot

Yes, that's true in your case.

But the majority of those going to their doctors to get medical cards are young males, mostly in their 20's, with no real medical reason to need one (info from my wife who, most here know, runs an addiction counseling service). Many doctors are just handing out the prescriptions like they hand out the pain killers. The fault is clearly on the doctors in those cases, but it doesn't change the fact that a large percentage of card holders have no need for them.

As I've said in other threads, I have no personal objection, it just means my wife's client list will grow as people start to realize that today's pot is not nearly as benign as they think.

Yes, that's true in your case.

But the majority of those going to their doctors to get medical cards are young males, mostly in their 20's, with no real medical reason to need one (info from my wife who, most here know, runs an addiction counseling service). Many doctors are just handing out the prescriptions like they hand out the pain killers. The fault is clearly on the doctors in those cases, but it doesn't change the fact that a large percentage of card holders have no need for them.

As I've said in other threads, I have no personal objection, it just means my wife's client list will grow as people start to realize that today's pot is not nearly as benign as they think.

Actually it would be the states fault for issuing the cards. DR's can only recommend those who fit the criteria the state approves them and registers them. I'm sure there are many who game the system both DR's and patience. I'm not sure how many DR's would be willing to lose their license over it as they have to be registered also, but then again you would think that about opiates too.

There are time limits on the cards anywhere from 2 weeks to a year, and you must re-register annually. While I'm sure there are many that don't need the cards on the roles, they'll soon find out that medical marijuana isn't quite as fun as the street version. Most medical marijuana contains far less THC, has no additives, and comes in a variety of forms. The card doesn't give the card holder the right to buy off the streets thats still illegal. As soon as those who find out that it's not all it's cracked up to be…….. they'll go back to getting DR's to prescribe pain pills.

Im not sure about MA's program, but, here you have to jump through a ton of hoops. You have to be diagnosed with one of the approved aliments, treated by the same DR for more then a year for said ailment, you can't have drug felonies or a criminal record, and you must be 18. The card holder is still held legally responsible for any actions not covered under the consent agreement.

A patient may become a subject to penalties if he or she does not follow the rules written in this law. In other words, patients will be punished if they consume marijuana in any moving vehicle, at work, on school or university grounds, dorms, within the line of sight of a person under age 18 or in any public place. Licensed dispensaries and their employees are allowed to acquire medical marijuana strictly from the licensed producers and are not allowed to distribute marijuana to someone who is not a qualifying patient or a caregiver – both registered with DCP.

I agree DR's are notorious for handing out opiates to those who don't need them and thats something that should be curtailed. Opiates are far more addictive and dangerous. It's easier to get opiates then to get medical marijuana IMHO thats a far greater travesty.

If, and I have no doubt what your wife is saying is true, then maybe MA needs to sure up their laws regarding the registration process.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...se-practice/L5jRBrby55bFWb8p8AwB6I/story.html

~Dee~

Back