Still want that 4th Round Pick back?

Branch sucked ... or maybe it was Brady? I get the two confused so easily.

Deion had a good game, then again so did Welker decoying the defense away from him. If Deion stays healthy and consistently plays the way he did today, I'll get to eat some tasty roast crow. Just as one game doesn't determine whether a draft pick is well spent, so one game back doesn't answer all the questions about Deion Branch.

Some instant analysis: With the best Quarterback in the NFL throwing him the ball, Deion tripled his rec/game average and increased his YPC by 2.3 yds from his first four games with Seattle. It would be wonderful if he maintained or improved that as he works more with the offense. Baltimore appeared to focus on Welker and left Branch in one-on-one situations, I hope I can get time to watch the DVR for a better look - I was writing up a report and listening over the sound of a contractor finishing some new book shelves, needless to say I was distracted.

I'll be glad when Brady gets more in touch with his inner Tate and Edelman, the offense clearly needs to see those two progress - though it will help if Julian can get healthy this year. I'll also be happier if Alge gets past the dropsies he's had up until his one catch tonight.

Branch sucked ... or maybe it was Brady? I get the two confused so easily.

Deion had a good game, then again so did Welker decoying the defense away from him. If Deion stays healthy and consistently plays the way he did today, I'll get to eat some tasty roast crow. Just as one game doesn't determine whether a draft pick is well spent, so one game back doesn't answer all the questions about Deion Branch.

Some instant analysis: With the best Quarterback in the NFL throwing him the ball, Deion tripled his rec/game average and increased his YPC by 2.3 yds from his first four games with Seattle. It would be wonderful if he maintained or improved that as he works more with the offense. Baltimore appeared to focus on Welker and left Branch in one-on-one situations, I hope I can get time to watch the DVR for a better look - I was writing up a report and listening over the sound of a contractor finishing some new book shelves, needless to say I was distracted.

I'll be glad when Brady gets more in touch with his inner Tate and Edelman, the offense clearly needs to see those two progress - though it will help if Julian can get healthy this year. I'll also be happier if Alge gets past the dropsies he's had up until his one catch tonight.

It doesn't matter who they double, it will always leave someone open. Wes drew the double team today, and Branch burned them. Next week it may be Hernandez, or eventually Tate. And that still leaves Gronk and Edelman.

It doesn't matter if they play up. That leaves TB free to go over the top. And if they drop off, it opens up the middle and short game.

As long as TB has time to throw, he should be able to make this offense work. It plays to his strengths - reading the defense and taking what's avaialble - rather than forcing things. The only problems are if the protection breaks down, or if Brady gets impatient and tries to force the ball.

It will take some time for all of the options to gel. But it should get better. It wasn't that bad today (in spite of the boos) against one of the best defenses in the NFL. Remember how the Jets' offense (the one which ESPN called possibly the best offense in the NFL) looked against the Ravens week 1?

Meanwhile in Seattle the Hawks fans are asking -

"What did the Patriots do with the real Deon Branch and who the hell was that out on the field today ?!?!" ROFL

Meanwhile in Seattle the Hawks fans are asking -m"What did the Patriots do with the real Deon Branch and who the hell was that out on the field today ?!?!" ROFL

Maybe we could trade him to them for a 1st round pick? :choices:

It doesn't matter who they double, it will always leave someone open. Wes drew the double team today, and Branch burned them. Next week it may be Hernandez, or eventually Tate. And that still leaves Gronk and Edelman.
It does matter who they double, happily a gimpy Welker is still capable of beating double-teams. It will be interesting to see when defenses start using CBs for Hernandez, I think he can deal with it, but he may not have to as long as Welker, Tate, and Co. draw the heat away from him the way Indy's WRs draw CBs off Clark.

It doesn't matter if they play up. That leaves TB free to go over the top. And if they drop off, it opens up the middle and short game.
We'll see, Baltimore's DBs were playing back, let's see what San Diego brings to the game. I don't believe Brady is in-sync enough with Tate or anyone else with speed to get deep, not yet at any rate.

As long as TB has time to throw, he should be able to make this offense work. It plays to his strengths - reading the defense and taking what's avaialble - rather than forcing things. The only problems are if the protection breaks down, or if Brady gets impatient and tries to force the ball.
Brady is gun shy now, it appears he needs to get angry to push his fear of injury out of his head so he can release the real Tommy Brady.

It will take some time for all of the options to gel. But it should get better. It wasn't that bad today (in spite of the boos) against one of the best defenses in the NFL. Remember how the Jets' offense (the one which ESPN called possibly the best offense in the NFL) looked against the Ravens week 1?
I expect all three phases of the game to get better. Ingram and Mesko are still not on the same page, didn't something go wrong on the exchange for that 65 yard kick? Mesko reset himself and just let fly rather then try to execute the hang time kicks he's being coached to do. People calling his 37 yarders bad are ignoring how long that ball is in the air - which is what BB and SO'B are working to achieve.

The defense is getting better and the coaches are finding the combinations of players which works best for each situation. The offense is still not executing efficiently, but you have to be stoked for what it can be once those youngsters all get on the same page.

Just as one game doesn't determine whether a draft pick is well spent, so one game back doesn't answer all the questions about Deion Branch.

Some instant analysis: With the best Quarterback in the NFL throwing him the ball, Deion tripled his rec/game average and increased his YPC by 2.3 yds from his first four games with Seattle. It would be wonderful if he maintained or improved that as he works more with the offense.

You bring up two interesting parallel points.

1. It seems clear that the Ravens' defensive game plan was not geared toward stopping Deion Branch. It's as if they thought of him as a rookie who would not be relied on very heavily in his first start. Credit BB and Branch both for taking advantage of the Ravens' underestimation, but, as the season rolls on, more opponents will watch more video of the 2KX version of the Patriots' offense with Branch. It is reasonable to expect that those teams' defenses will become more effective at dealing with Branch as the 'evidence' builds.
  2. On the other hand, Branch himself has a lot to learn about how the offense has changed since he left town. If he keeps his face in the playbook and his @$$ out of the hospital, it is equally reasonable to expect that Branch will become more effective in New England's offensive scheme.
The question becomes, which of these opposite trends will prevail?

You bring up two interesting parallel points.

1. It seems clear that the Ravens' defensive game plan was not geared toward stopping Deion Branch. It's as if they thought of him as a rookie who would not be relied on very heavily in his first start. Credit BB and Branch both for taking advantage of the Ravens' underestimation, but, as the season rolls on, more opponents will watch more video of the 2KX version of the Patriots' offense with Branch. It is reasonable to expect that those teams' defenses will become more effective at dealing with Branch as the 'evidence' builds.
  2. On the other hand, Branch himself has a lot to learn about how the offense has changed since he left town. If he keeps his face in the playbook and his @$$ out of the hospital, it is equally reasonable to expect that Branch will become more effective in New England's offensive scheme.
The question becomes, which of these opposite trends will prevail?
My guess is he improves on what he's been doing for Seattle, but 9 catch nights? I think once defenses adjust to his role with NE he'll not have as many opportunities.

My guess is he improves on what he's been doing for Seattle, but 9 catch nights? I think once defenses adjust to his role with NE he'll not have as many opportunities.

That's fair, but ... do we care?

As others have alluded to, if Branch draws enough defensive attention, that opens up the other receivers or the running game. If he catches only three balls a game but otherwise serves as an effective decoy ... mission accomplished.

Unless, of course, he starts sulking about the decoy role ...

That's fair, but ... do we care?

As others have alluded to, if Branch draws enough defensive attention, that opens up the other receivers or the running game. If he catches only three balls a game but otherwise serves as an effective decoy ... mission accomplished.

Unless, of course, he starts sulking about the decoy role ...
I seriously doubt Branch is going to be a decoy in the passing game.

Not on every play, no.

But on some plays? If defenses start worrying about him enough to put their best coverage man on him, or two lesser coverage men on him, yes.

A couple more 9-and-98-with-a-touchdown games from Branch will make them think about it.

Not on every play, no.

But on some plays? If defenses start worrying about him enough to put their best coverage man on him, or two lesser coverage men on him, yes.

A couple more 9-and-98-with-a-touchdown games from Branch will make them think about it.
Perhaps, Branch has brought back my Missouri roots, he'll just need to show me. So far, so good.

It does matter who they double, happily a gimpy Welker is still capable of beating double-teams. It will be interesting to see when defenses start using CBs for Hernandez, I think he can deal with it, but he may not have to as long as Welker, Tate, and Co. draw the heat away from him the way Indy's WRs draw CBs off Clark.
Mayo also forgot Woodhead.

More importantly, I almost can't wait for opponents to start accounding for Hernandez with CBs. Because they need to declare that by sending the extra db out onto the field. At which point Hernandez should be aligned as a true TE and we should run right behind him.

Declaring personnel in the defensive huddle is exactly why the TE is "the queen of the chessboard.". You're really telling me a DC is going to decide that when the 5 skills in the huddle are Welker, Branch, Gronk, Hernandez, and BGJE, his best bet is to send out a nickleback? :high:

I'll take that all day long.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ingram and Mesko are still not on the same page, didn't something go wrong on the exchange for that 65 yard kick? Mesko reset himself and just let fly rather then try to execute the hang time kicks he's being coached to do. People calling his 37 yarders bad are ignoring how long that ball is in the air - which is what BB and SO'B are working to achieve.

I don't think the snap was bad on that punt. But on one of the punts a few drives earlier the snap was right at the Zoltan's feet. He picked it up without missing a beat and got off around a 40 yard punt. Not pretty, but effective. My heart was in my shoes on that one - it could easily have been a game changing play.

Meanwhile in Seattle the Hawks fans are asking -

"What did the Patriots do with the real Deon Branch and who the hell was that out on the field today ?!?!" ROFL
I heard they were actually asking "Where did the Patriots hide the real Deion Branch these past 4 years, and who was that imposter they sent to us, and what have they done with that poor imposter now?"

Cheers, BostonTim

We already knew Branch and it appears he still has some gas in the tank.

4th round pick could have been a bust and not even made the team.

You can't have it both ways. If they catch up to what he's doing, then more converage is thrown his way, thus more players are open. If they don't, then he burns them again like he did yesterday

To the naysayers:

Would anyone have objected to a Branch for Ohrnberger trade?

Because chances are far more likely of hitting on a backup O-lineman than grabbing another Hernandez in Round 4.

And don't throw a Ghost or Zoltan reference out there. Yeah, we did score them at or around there, which is where you will get those guys at their positions IF YOU NEED THEM. Those holes are filled here for the forseeable.

I'll take the guy that's gonna come in and play meaningful snaps with the 1st unit and contribute to wins immediately 6 days a week and especially on Sunday, thank you.

Welcome back Deion.

anderson.... your thoughts?

:coffee:

Back