Super Bowl LVIII game thread.

There's no doubting Mahomes. He let his team in an SB on a 2-minute drive to tie the game up, and then in OT, he drove the team downfield facing a stellar D, converted a 4th down, made some killer plays with his legs and threw the game-winning TD. That is the definition of clutch. And Andy Reid is a great coach, no question. As Chevvs said, his offensive play calling is top-drawer.

And what about Shanahan?? 3 SBs, now his teams have choked when leading by 10+ points. When OC against us in the Falcons SB, he shat the bed with his playcalling at critical times, including making Ryan throw at the crucial time when a run and yards would have won them the game with at least a FG.

He can't get away from this, he's a choker. Only a SB win will stop this belief and the Niner window is closing.

Ratings for the Super Bowl makes it the most watched television show ever. The average audience was 123.5 million viewers. Which means more people watched the Niners pee their pants and Tony Romo mumble forever at the end of the game.
The next highest rated Super Bowl was 2017 in which the Patriots came back from 28-3 to win in OT. That game had 117 million. I don't know if that included my family members, who left me alone, because I was the only one who believed that they would come back.
I think Taylor Swift had something to do with those ratings.

There's no doubting Mahomes. He let his team in an SB on a 2-minute drive to tie the game up, and then in OT, he drove the team downfield facing a stellar D, converted a 4th down, made some killer plays with his legs and threw the game-winning TD. That is the definition of clutch. And Andy Reid is a great coach, no question. As Chevvs said, his offensive play calling is top-drawer.

And what about Shanahan?? 3 SBs, now his teams have choked when leading by 10+ points. When OC against us in the Falcons SB, he shat the bed with his playcalling at critical times, including making Ryan throw at the crucial time when a run and yards would have won them the game with at least a FG.

He can't get away from this, he's a choker. Only a SB win will stop this belief and the Niner window is closing.
The Niners have now lost three Super Bowls since 2012. They could have eight rings if they were able to get all of those wins. And all of the games came down to the last possession as well.

Bloody hell :rofl:

honestly, I can actually see that given how often they’ve been changing the overtime rules the last few years. I really hate the new tweak where each team gets a possession even if the first team scores a touchdown. Stupid!

So scoring an offensiveTD in OT still doesn't win you the game, I didn't know about the rule change either and I do not like the idea that the team down on the scoreboard can take their time and take it to a 2nd OT. IMO If they can't finish their drive in the first OT that should be game over.

Last edited:

Oh, I hear doubts about Mahomes all the time, but it's always from a Patriots homer who is jealous of the best player
in the league.

I won 750 bucks on a 3rd quarter square and then I noticed that I had a shot at the 4th quarter on a separate pool for
double that. I was within seconds of winning $2250 which would be, by far, a personal record.

I had SF 9 KC 6 and all I needed was for SF to stop the Chiefs outside of FG range, but I knew the drill. Mahomes would
figure it out and he did.

Patrick is the smartest player in the league. He doesn't sound like a rocket scientist to hear him speak, but he anticipates
and sees everything with lightning quick recognition and takes advantage of everything, so, yes......the dude is a genius.

Oh, I hear doubts about Mahomes all the time, but it's always from a Patriots homer who is jealous of the best player
in the league.

I won 750 bucks on a 3rd quarter square and then I noticed that I had a shot at the 4th quarter on a separate pool for
double that. I was within seconds of winning $2250 which would be, by far, a personal record.

I had SF 9 KC 6 and all I needed was for SF to stop the Chiefs outside of FG range, but I knew the drill. Mahomes would

Patrick is the smartest player in the league. He doesn't sound like a rocket scientist to hear him speak, but he anticipates
and sees everything with lightning quick recognition and takes advantage of everything, so, yes......the dude is a genius.
Totally agree. And it's scary to think how far he can go. He's still young for a QB and I don't believe age will severely hamper him, his brain as you say is so sharp.

Totally agree. And it's scary to think how far he can go. He's still young for a QB and I don't believe age will severely hamper him, his brain as you say is so sharp.

My comp for Mahomes is not another NFL player, because he's that unique of a talent.

It's Lionel Messi. He sets everything up for others despite not being an imposing athlete. He just sees the field and everyone on it and can sort through all the vectors.

Cognitive intelligence and imagination.

in the league.

Bingo.

This Chiefs team was not the offensive wagon we've become accustomed to and one could argue if they were vulnerable, this was the year they were ripe for the picking.

But I knew once they reached the SB that they were not losing. Their D has been sneaky-good all year and Mahomes has reached a stage in his career where sheer will is equal to his physical talent. He is in that generational talent stratosphere and I am going to try to embrace it an enjoy it as best I can. Don't think I will ever get to the point where I will root for him to win a SB, but I feel like I am at a point where I won't be devastated over it, and can at least tip my cap to him.

Just remember - this is what they said about Andy Reid until 2019.

in the league.

Wrong. His legs allow him to create things that aren't there and thathat will start to slow down as he nears 30, and quite honestly I have seen a little bit of that already. Let's stop with the genius tag okay. Contrary to many beliefs he does get hit quite a lot and takes some pretty good shots. This might have been the last hurrah because that team is on the verge of falling apart and you saw some of that during the SB as well.

Things are very tenuous in KC and if the imo SF kicker not been paid off to miss the extra point to at least give the Chiefs the ability to not have to get a TD (twice might I add) to have a chance to win he game multiple times, the chatter would be all about the antics on the sideline etc etc.

The broadcast screwed up - they thought KC got a first down on the previous play but it was actually 2nd and inches. You can actually see the down marker is at 2 when Mahomes runs to the sideline.
Ok awesome. Thank you for that.

Wrong. His legs allow him to create things that aren't there and thathat will start to slow down as he nears 30, and quite honestly I have seen a little bit of that already. Let's stop with the genius tag okay. Contrary to many beliefs he does get hit quite a lot and takes some pretty good shots. This might have been the last hurrah because that team is on the verge of falling apart and you saw some of that during the SB as well.

Things are very tenuous in KC and if the imo SF kicker not been paid off to miss the extra point to at least give the Chiefs the ability to not have to get a TD (twice might I add) to have a chance to win he game multiple times, the chatter would be all about the antics on the sideline etc etc.
IMG_4282.gif

This comparison between Mahommes and Brady at same age is kind of mind blowing. The yards and number of TDs for example are not even close. Mahommes leads in just about every meaningful statistic. This kid has a very legitimate shot at being GOAT. But yes, he has a long way to go, but it is hard not to be very impressed. image000000.jpg

Attachments

• image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 0
Mahomes really has had an impressive run but Brady really didn't transform into "Goat" Brady until he hit his 30s and then he was a completely different QB. Longevity is the key and I don't know that Mahomes's play style is very conducive to a long playing career.

This comparison between Mahommes and Brady at same age is kind of mind blowing. The yards and number of TDs for example are not even close. Mahommes leads in just about every meaningful statistic. This kid has a very legitimate shot at being GOAT. But yes, he has a long way to go, but it is hard not to be very impressed. View attachment 25384
Please don't take offense, but why do we insist on doing this?

Back