The 2021 Draft- We Need This One

Hearing and reading too much about QB arm strength. If you’re looking at someone’s arm, you’re not looking at their feet.
Evaluate quarterbacks like houses: from the ground up. Stay focused.
Words of wisdom

Hearing and reading too much about QB arm strength. If you’re looking at someone’s arm, you’re not looking at their feet.
Words of wisdom
"Does this QB have enough room for my 13 kids?"

That epilepsy admission by Fields is an interesting development. If it's managed well there should be no issue but it probably will cause a team or two to move him down the board. In a sport with major issues about head injuries, epilepsy is a concerning ailment to be bringing into the pro game.
Heard about this yesterday. apparently alan faneca and another longtime nfl player whose name escapes me at the moment both had epilepsy and managed fine with meds.

I don't see Smith adding any significant weight and he'd have to add 20 just to get to 186. Jerry Jeudy is 6'1" but weighs 193 and he's slim. To me Smith's slim frame is the issue - his bones are thin. That's scary to me. T.Y. Hilton? Believe it or not, Hilton is 2" shorter and 20 lbs heavier that Smith. Get the picture?
Where's he going to add weight? Look at this guy. Unbelievably talented. Great hands. Long arms. Every hit would make me shudder. His hips are only a foot wide. Toothpick. Bone rack. He's a player for sure. But for how long? He's not a burner; he's going to get hit in the NFL. It's a genuine concern for me.

cqpvefew18zghpzkkdxm.jpg
I definitely see your side and it will be interesting to see how his career plays out. His injury history consists of a dislocated finger from getting caught in a jersey. A Desean Jackson type career isn't out of the question. If he slips far enough, it's worth rolling the dice IMO.

That epilepsy admission by Fields is an interesting development. If it's managed well there should be no issue but it probably will cause a team or two to move him down the board. In a sport with major issues about head injuries, epilepsy is a concerning ailment to be bringing into the pro game.
More concerning is can you wash the OSU off him? So, so many great OSU QBs throughout NFL history.

Words of wisdom
I agree. Strong arms are way overrated. As long as the QB can make all the throws that is what counts. Decision making is the biggest thing to evaluate. Can he drop back, read the defense, and make a good throw. And you are right about foot work too. It is not sexy to talk about but sloppy footwork leads to what we saw last year from Cam - dirt balls and balls flying over guys heads.

I was just looking at the 2004 NFL Draft. The Patriots had the 21st pick, and there were a lot of QBs and WRs taken in the first 20 picks.

In 2004, instead of moving up or down, Belichick stayed at 21, and Vince Wilfork was there when it was the Patriots turn to pick.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Belichick stay at 15 - he may think he'll get a really good player because other teams are over-drafting skill position players.

This was also the draft where Wes Welker wasn't picked - he was signed as an UDFA by the Chargers.
I don't think that you can compare that year to this year. Biggest reason is that the Patriots had their franchise QB on the team back then. This year the Patriots do not have their franchise QB on the roster.

Big difference.

Smith has the height, but 166#....... I guess it depends first, if he has the frame to add 20 pounds, and second, if he could do it. I remember loving Shawn Crable as a draft pick, believing that as soon as he put some big-boy muscle on his legs he would be a star. Just add Crable to my list of LB binkies who never made it, from Andy Katzenmoyer to Oscar Lua.
166 is unbelievably light. I think my bigger concern with him is that he played on a stacked team vs defenses that could not dedicate to cover him. He will be bracketed every time in the NFL. I do wonder if he has the mental toughness to have success in the NFL. Hard to know without seeing him play but I remember Michael Irvin saying it was really hard his first year in the NFL going 1-15 and getting hurt too after hardly ever losing a game in college.

Brandon Weeden, Jameis Winston, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, EJ Manuel, Blake Bortles, Paxton Lynch, Mitch Trubisky, Josh Rosen, Drew Lock, Dwayne Haskins,

All wowed the scouts with the laser cannons hanging from their right shoulders. All of them convinced professional organizations to invest in them to be the face of their franchise.

I watched a cool sports/science show where they measured the velocity of Brandon Weeden's throws and they were supposedly the fastest ever measured. A photon laser cannon. He became the oldest(28), 1st round draft pick ever. You heard stories about how Josh Rosen could throw a 50-yard rocket from his knees when he was just a wee lad in braces and threw the prettiest spirals ever seen. Nobody seemed to notice that he was a douchebag that his teammates didn't like, or made poor decisions because they were way too dazzled by the gun.

Jameis Winston had all the tools -- a prototype overall one glamour boy who threw 30 picks in one season. Mitch was a one-season wonder boy at North Carolina who was a "great athlete" who could "create outside the pocket" and "throw on the run" and the Bears, quite famously, traded up to take him with the overall two well ahead of Pat Mahomes and Deshaun Watson. That one decision might have cost them a ring or two, because they'd have been pretty damn good with Patrick or Deshaun. Blaine Gabbert's laser cannon now securely holds a clipboard but most of the rest are either gone or on thin ice.

It's like blind love. You see somebody, go head over heels and dream of a magical future together and then, unfortunately, one day you wake up and realize that it was never real. The things that matter weren't the things you looked at.

Five top guys are being dissected right now and most of the focus on this draft is on which lucky team will land which guy. The whole thing reminds me of the old board game called "Mystery Date" where young girls played it to find out if their big date was going to end up being a "dream" or a "dud".

View: https://youtu.be/uTc6NhIHEI8

There is a legit bad track record with Alabama QBs in the nfl. At least compared to other positions they send.

Now I don’t watch a ton of college ball, but it seems like the last year or two their philosophy for winning has changed a bit. They look to get out and put up some points now. Not as conservative as they used to be. I think that this means jones could be different. Initially I loved the guy. Just watch him practice. He gets the ball out quick. There’s no wind up.
I still hate that cigar pic though. He just looked out of shape and like he didn’t care about taking care of himself. I’ve been slowly getting over it.

The 49ers are probably thinking a rookie QB will give them the cap space to keep the core of their team which is incredible. Why not trade the house if you have a QB you love?
You just gotta be darn sure your right.

I don't think that you can compare that year to this year. Biggest reason is that the Patriots had their franchise QB on the team back then. This year the Patriots do not have their franchise QB on the roster.

Big difference.

Let's stay with the 2004 NFL year. During the season, Peyton Manning set the single season passing record for TDs with 49.

But in the playoffs, he couldn't get on the field against the Patriots, because his team couldn't stop the run. The Patriots had a time of possession advantage of 37:43 to 22:17.

I doubt that Belichick has forgotten about that game and the importance of having a dominant offensive line, and also the importance of having a defensive line that won't let itself get dominated.

Franchise QBs are nice, but having one doesn't guarantee championships. Please point out the Super Bowls won by a QB that threw 43+ TDs in a season (i.e. the top 10 seasons for passing TDs by a QB).

Back