The 2021 Patriots' Preseason Camp

Back to the Patriots Preseason in this thread please.

Preview

E7RfYeYXEAAa5wF

Tomorrow marks a new start. I hope all our QBs play lights out. I support all of them in giving BB headaches over choosing 1 to start. Multiple good QBs is so much better than 1 mediocre QB and an also-ran.

T Trent Brown and LB Kyle Van Noy tested + for Covid so they're on PUP to start camp

TE Asiasi tested positive last week.

Last edited:
From Evan Lazar - pretty informative article.

Here’s everything he saw on day one of Patriots training camp:

1. QB Cam Newton Leads Off Drills, Up and Down Day

Newton was the clearcut leader on Wednesday in terms of who led off drills, but after starting hot, the veteran quarterback cooled off towards the end. Newton went 8-of-15 with two interceptions, one of which was tipped in the air by James White and picked off by linebacker Raekwon McMillan. The other was a bad pass thrown behind Hunter Henry that Adrian Phillips intercepted. Newton’s first 7-on-7 period saw him throw touchdowns to Kristian Wilkerson (stick route) and Kendrick Bourne (corner route), but he had issues throwing high out of the back of the end zone at times. Newton’s accuracy was up and down, but the zip he puts on the ball consistently stands out above the other quarterbacks. I’m not going to read too much into the first practice, but it felt like a pretty typical Newton day.

2. QB Mac Jones Has Pinpoint Throws & Rookie Mistakes

For a rookie in his first training camp, Jones was good, even if he made some mistakes. The Pats’ first-round pick fumbled a snap (and ran a lap) while also making a few errant throws trying to drive the ball to the flats, and Davon Godchaux batted one of his passes down at the line. In all, he was 9-of-19 with two drops by his receivers. Although Jones made a few errors, he also had arguably the best throws of the day. Jones delivered perfect passes to Nelson Agholor, Kendrick Bourne, and N’Keal Harry that were right on the money as his receivers ran towards the back pylon. Jones’s ability to lead receivers and anticipate where they’re going leads to some great throws. The Pats’ first-round pick has some rookie moments, but he flashes that first-round talent. Jones continues to take positive steps forward with each practice and remains on Newton’s heels.

3. WR N’Keal Harry Makes Plays

Tomorrow marks a new start. I hope all our QBs play lights out. I support all of them in giving BB headaches over choosing 1 to start. Multiple good QBs is so much better than 1 mediocre QB and an also-ran.
The Patriots.com guys said Stidham has a physical issue that will not be resolved quickly. And the team decided that now was the best time to straighten it out.

The Patriots.com guys said Stidham has a physical issue that will not be resolved quickly. And the team decided that now was the best time to straighten it out.
This is awful for Stidham to be injured again during TC.

Curran said this evening on TV that he could envision Stidham being traded, perhaps to the Texans.

The most interesting point I've read so far was Mike Reiss suggesting that when Mac reaches the end of his drop his ball tends to come out quicker than Cam's. A bit of
a paraphrase, but that was the basic point.

This is what you'd typically see at Alabama. Very decisive is how Jones consistently struck me and it wasn't like he made up his mind on bad reads. He can see the play
unfold and find the open man and that's the kind of guy I expect we will see before long. The question is when he'll figure it out up here and I'm planning on being
patient and cutting him plenty of slack while he adjusts to the NFL.

I could balance that off with a comment that Cam had more zip on the ball, but it's the first day of TC and I'm not worked up over anything. Just glad that there
is something finally going on in Foxboro.

Back