• Darrell Simpson, OL, Tulsa
  • Jalyx Hunt, DE, Houston Christian
  • Austin Booker, DE, Kansas
  • Bryce Gallagher, LB, Northwestern
  • Nathaniel Watson, LB, Mississippi State
  • Decamerion Richardson, CB, Mississippi State
  • Omar Brown, DB, Nebraska
Plus Donavon Jennings, LT , USF

I've come to think Kingsley Suamataia is a fairly likely pick for us in the 2nd round if we keep it. He's got some tools but might
need a little time. That is the consensus opinion on him, but he can't possibly be worse than some of the guys we trotted out
at LT last year.

Another guy who makes sense is ED Jalyx Hunt. I don't know what he looks like playing against top opponents, but he looked
unblockable in the boonies. Fast, strong and shifty as hell. Day 3? Sure, why not?

No high end receivers I notice from that list.
That's what I noticed too. I guess we're good with KJ Osborn and Kendrick Bourne coming off an ACL at age 29.

I'm holding out hope now, that all those OT visits, and Joe Milton getting a top 30 visit when he's not going until Day 3, means the trade down is still in play. It's all I've got left to hope for this season, at this point.

If the Bears take Wiiliams and Washington takes Maye or Daniels, does that mean that tne Patriots have the Golden Ticket?

If the Bears take Wiiliams and Washington takes Maye or Daniels, does that mean that tne Patriots have the Golden Ticket?
I bet there are already some "if/then" trades on the table waiting to see what plays out. I am not in love with Maye or Daniels so a massive windfall trade has slipped into 1st place on m y wish list. That said, I will not be unhappy with Maye as has been amply pointed out, he has a high ceiling based on his athleticism. Daniels scares me as potentially too slight.

It's a pity that we are a QB-needy team going into this thing. So important is the position and, perhaps, equally importantly, the economics of the position in
this era, that if we didn't need one badly we are in a really powerful position to be the beneficiaries of a bidding war that could help flip our fortunes. The problem
being that if you miss the bus on "the guy" then you might be sitting at the bus stop for years watching, Drake Maye, for instance, turn out to be a rising young star
while you are stuck somewhere in the middle unable to reach a guy that can lead you to the next level even if the rest of the roster is improved.

Well, I don't want to be stuck in the middle. I'd take a shot on greatness and trophies.

Either the "take a QB" camp and the "trade down for a bag" camp might be correct and the history of NFL franchises hang on major decision points just like this
one. It's a classic question which has no definitive answer until hindsight allows you to see it. For now, there are only opinions. Guesses.

I think Maye is worth staying put for, but if he goes to Washington I'm willing to stockpile picks in lieu of taking Daniels. There are instant
starters/future stars in this draft that we could sorely use and getting 2 of them while adding an extra first rounder or two for next year would be an acceptable
compromise. I have to consider that last season was traumatic enough that I might be getting panicky, but Bill's not here and everything is different.

Besides, the smart people know that Nathan Rourke is the wildcard in all of this and HE is going to end up being the completely unexpected bolt from
the blue that makes me forget all about the sneaky Commanders stealing my binkie.

Less than 36 hours before we get the answer to the basic question:

View: https://youtu.be/fuaLdWhnCag?si=Jp1Vf3UbZ5j3p7Vi&t=53

Top 30 visits
  • J.J. McCarthy, QB, Michigan
  • Joe Milton, QB, Tennessee
  • Drake Maye, QB, UNC
  • Jayden Daniels, QB, LSU
  • Javon Baker, WR, UCF
  • Troy Franklin, WR, Oregon
  • Jared Wiley, TE, TCU
  • Jaheim Bell, TE, FSU
  • Travis Glover, OT, Georgia State
  • Caedan Wallace, OT, Penn State
  • Kingsley Suamataia, OT, BYU
  • Tyler Guyton, OT, Oklahoma
  • Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame
  • Giovanni Manu, OT, University of British Columbia
  • Darrell Simpson, OL, Tulsa
  • Jalyx Hunt, DE, Houston Christian
  • Austin Booker, DE, Kansas
  • Bryce Gallagher, LB, Northwestern
  • Nathaniel Watson, LB, Mississippi State
  • Decamerion Richardson, CB, Mississippi State
  • Omar Brown, DB, Nebraska
Plus Donavon Jennings, LT , USF
Thanks for posting this. As I was going though the list saying to myself all these guys I checked out.
Then I see the name Giovanni Manu OT. Never heard of this guy and I thought that I've given all the OT's their due diligence.
Holy shit!! 6-7 352 with 35.5 inches arms and an 87 inch wing span. They show a 36 inch verticle, which I could give a shit because I'm not interested in an OT jumping over anyone.
I couldn't find out his hand size or if he has light feet or cement feet.
But I'm keeping an eye on Mr. Manu Sir.

That's what I noticed too. I guess we're good with KJ Osborn and Kendrick Bourne coming off an ACL at age 29.

I'm holding out hope now, that all those OT visits, and Joe Milton getting a top 30 visit when he's not going until Day 3, means the trade down is still in play. It's all I've got left to hope for this season, at this point.

They aren't trading down I don't think at this point. They are taking JJ at 3 is what I feel is going to happen and I surely don't know how I feel about that.

They aren't trading down I don't think at this point. They are taking JJ at 3 is what I feel is going to happen and I surely don't know how I feel about that.

That would be how to completely fuck it up. A slew of pics or Maye is acceptable and defendable. JJ Mccarthy is just plain stupid. He's a roll of the dice at best.

I wish I could say it's so dumb this Patriots management staff wouldn't do it but, Bob Kraft is letting his son run the show so anything is possible, including this ridiculousness.

Last edited:

if Thunder & Son approve doing this, then it is stupid --- alltho he's white & QB'd for Michigan -- JJ is NO TFB :lecture:

I'd rather they just reprise BB and draft a gawd-damned safety FFS :p

For me it’s Maye or trade down. QBs who are Jayden Daniels size just do not last in the NFL. Drafting him would be a huge mistake. It might make for a fun September, but he’s gonna be injured by the time it starts getting cold.

That would be how to completely fuck it up. A slew of pics or may is acceptable and defendable. JG Mccarthy is just plain stupid. He's a role of the dice at best.

I wish I could say it's so dumb this Patriots management staff wouldn't do it but, Bob Kraft is letting his son run the show so anything is possible, including this ridiculousness.
I like JJ more than you do, which is fine. I am not totally sold on him at all, then again I am not sold on any of them. However, picking him at 3 seems a bit high for my blood and a mistake. A big one at that. I'd rather pick a high end receiver and then grab a QB late.

I know we disagreed immensely on Mac, the season last year..but can you know at least see why I hated the wins so much? WSH isn't moving, and neither is CHI. So trading up is an impossibility unless you offered 5 firsts etc.

Just a reminder of how difficult it is to evaluate and select a good QB in the draft. 2021was supposed to be a ”loaded” QB draft.

2021 Draft….What a Joke — simPLe MiNDs SpoRTs
Most QBs fail because they go to crap organizations. Or they aren't good enough to meet expectations. Anyone going to Chi or Wsh will have a tough, tough road to go imo. I guess you can say the same for the Pats as of now and that sucks to think about.

I like JJ more than you do, which is fine. I am not totally sold on him at all, then again I am not sold on any of them. However, picking him at 3 seems a bit high for my blood and a mistake. A big one at that. I'd rather pick a high end receiver and then grab a QB late.

I know we disagreed immensely on Mac, the season last year..but can you know at least see why I hated the wins so much? WSH isn't moving, and neither is CHI. So trading up is an impossibility unless you offered 5 firsts etc.

I really don't. Tanking is a disease to the franchise. Picking 3rd can be very good. UNLESS they screw it up and JJ would be that. The Pats are in a position to really help the team at 3 and do so without tanking.

Last edited:
Most QBs fail because they go to crap organizations. Or they aren't good enough to meet expectations. Anyone going to Chi or Wsh will have a tough, tough road to go imo. I guess you can say the same for the Pats as of now and that sucks to think about.
I agree that contributes to it. But some / many QBs simply aren’t that good early on, and take a long time to develop. I do think that by the third year, you usually have a reasonable idea of if they can be a legit starter, (although there are some QBs who took a lot longer, before developing to NFL skill level).

This has probably been posted here somewhere already, but I just stumbled upon it and the review of Wolf gives me renewed hope that we may not actually botch things up tomorrow. And I've modified my take on the direction we should go with #3. I think we should take Maye if he is available. Why? Because if we trade down and build the team to a mediocre level, we won't be picking this high in the draft again for awhile. Maye may still be a swing and a miss though. If Maye isn't available, then by all means trade down and try to get a high pick next year and draft for other needs this year, with a later QB pick in the mix.

Anyway, the piece on Wolf:

Eliot Wolf was the first #Patriots evaluator to speak highly about a draft prospect named Rhamondre Stevenson.
Eliot Wolf closed the trade with Cincinnati that resulted in the selection of Christian Barmore.
Eliot Wolf went to bat for Micah Parsons even though he received pushback from Bill Belichick.
Eliot Wolf and other front office members were frustrated with the way the Matt Groh and Bill Belichick led scouting department “scouted and placed (their) board” in 2021.
Eliot Wolf overhauled New England’s scouting system and the scouts feel more heard now that he’s in charge.
Eliot Wolf and former Bucs general manager Jason Licht were working for the Eagles back in 2004 and on drive to work, Licht took the time to quiz the young scout on the draft class — Wolf went on to recite scouting reports on every prospect from memory and he even included the prospects’ “height, weight, speed and athletic testing score, their college and jersey number.”
The change that Eliot Wolf has brought has to bring some sort of excitement to any fan of the team. Things clearly weren’t working for the past couple of years and it’s widely known that Wolf has a different way of running things compared to Belichick. I’m personally heading into Thursday with optimism that there will be positive change, and I encourage others to view it the same way.
Give Eliot Wolf a chance.
(via @_AndrewCallahan)

I really don't. Tanking is disease to the franchise. Picking 3rd can be very good. UNLESS they screw it up and JJ would be that. The Pats are in a position to really help the team at 3 and do so without taking.
Tanking is a disease to a historically bad franchise. The Pats thankfully have a recent run of incredible dominance that is an elixir to that type of issue. Look how many current Pats FAs that signed long term deals with the Pats even after that horrific year. 2 more losses wouldn't have changed that.

If that happens, I will archive this thread, and make sure it's bumped for the 2027 draft. Because we're going to be right back here again.

Back