The 2024 Draft

If anybody has any specific issues with his game they'd like to hash over, debate or whatever then I'd welcome the challenge. This is too important a move
to have my head fogged in by a goofy man crush, but I think I'm seeing him for what he really is. We should want this guy instead of trading down. He's
simply too good to pass up or it will come back to haunt us.

= Panics at the slightest hint of pressure
= Throws off the back foot and late
= Tends to throw hospital balls for throws over the middle.
= Even on sprint outs, doesn't have accuracy. (Except on that one TD pass, that was pretty nice)

This is NC State, not Georgia. He looks like Mac Jones with a stronger arm.

Last edited:
I love how everyone just accepts Jayden Daniels is 210 from his Pro Day - and ignores the possibility that he just had bricks in his pockets. Because that's certainly never happened before in a pro day. Just like running those 40s downhill.

If he weighed in at 210 and had done all the athletic testing maybe I wouldn't be as sceptical....but the most athletic QB did 0 testing.

= Panics at the slightest hint of pressure

I couldn't disagree more. His TD/INT ratio was almost 4 to 1 and that was behind a hapless OL in '23. If he did panic
at the "slightest hint of pressure" then wouldn't those numbers be more Mayfield-like?

= Throws off the back foot and late

Everybody could benefit from good footwork and his isn't perfect, but he completed a shitload of passes doing it
his way. How could he throw late if he is too busy panicking? I don't get it. Based on his protection he didn't have
time to be late very often.

= Tends to throw hospital balls for throws over the middle.

I sure hope that isn't the case and haven't seen that as a tendency. He definitely isn't perfect, but his command of
the middle tends to get a lot of praise from former pro QBs, Chase Daniels and Tim Hasselback to name a few. I left
Orlovsky's name out of it because I'm not sure he really qualified as a pro, but he's impressed too. Maybe we should
ask some WRs what they think, just in case it's a Quarterback Club thing.

= Even on sprint outs, doesn't have accuracy. (Except on that one TD pass, that was pretty nice)

I've seen him throw a ton of sweet balls on the move. I'd say he's very capable at that, but he
could definitely stand to improve his mechanics and see no reason why he can't.

This is NC State, not Georgia. He looks like Mac Jones with a stronger arm.

I think he looks a hell of a lot more like Josh Allen than Jones in his overall game and
Allen didn't play at Georgia, either. In fact, no QB from his conference ever did squat in the
NFL before he came along, but he's doing pretty well.

Jones was a sub-standard athlete with a skinny frame. He didn't compare to Drake as a prospect
in a lot of ways, but the arm talent is not a question, so we can agree on that.

“There is no question he possesses the physical traits to develop into a quality NFL QB with a chance to be one of 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙗𝙚𝙨𝙩.”

@gregcosell
’s scouting report on UNC QB Drake Maye ✍️

𝗦𝗧𝗥𝗘𝗡𝗚𝗧𝗛𝗦

• Desirable combination of size, throwing ability and athleticism. Possesses the needed traits of an NFL QB.
  • Easy natural thrower with minimal effort. Could drive the ball down the field: Knee bend, hips and core torque.
  • Explosive arm talent with the traits to make every throw. Can drive the ball at all levels with velocity and touch.
  • Aggressively worked between the hashes with refined sense of timing and anticipation, velocity and firm touch.
  • Threw with velocity when demanded and pace and touch when needed.
  • Showed subtle pocket movement with two hands on the ball. Re-set his throwing platform with a firm base.
  • Good athlete who can make second reaction plays, throwing and running. Also designed QB run game.
-Second reaction playmaking dimension with outstanding poise and composure outside the pocket on the move.
  • Strong mental framework reflected in that bad plays did not affect him. Came right back and made good plays.
  • 2023 – It is evident from tape that Maye can execute a drop back passing game with efficiency at all levels.
  • Outstanding go ball and fade ball thrower, with precise ball placement, especially with no margin for error.
  • Showed poise and composure to trust and work comfortably through progressions. Stayed sound in the pocket.
  • Snaps he started to move then re-settled, getting his feet under him with a firm base and delivering cleanly.
  • Consistently played with a calm helmet. It was evident he knew what he was seeing and how to process it.
  • Poise and patience to move within the pocket when primary read was taken away to work to secondary reads.

𝗪𝗘𝗔𝗞𝗡𝗘𝗦𝗦𝗘𝗦

• At times, he drifted in the pocket to his left when there was no pressure and no reason to move off the mid-line.
  • Consistently showed a tendency to drift rather than stay in the pocket. Created his own pressure at times.
  • At times, he was tentative in the pocket. He did not turn it loose when throws were there. Must become more decisive.
  • Too many dropbacks in which he left throws on the field. Needs to process and isolate quicker from the pocket.
  • At this point, he lacks a refined sense of timing-anticipation, resulting in throws that aren’t made that should be.
  • 2023 – Still showed tendency at times not to register and process reads, leaving clean throws on the field.
  • Still too many snaps he drifted to his left when there was no pressure.
  • There were a few too many misreads where he didn’t process the route concept versus the coverage correctly.
  • Needs to develop a better feel for pocket movement rather than running out of the pocket. Higher-level trait.
  • While he threw outstanding deep ball, must become more location precise on intermediate and shorter throws.

In favor of Jayden Daniels

View: https://twitter.com/GetUpESPN/status/1773341515458220127

I really hope Wolf & Co. aren't paying any attention to these outside forces to determine which QBs they'll take and in which order.
Just set your board and draft from it. Then do everything possible to set him up in a great environment with great coaches, emphasize development and then give him time to mature.

I completely disagree with that take from Riddick.
He looks alright on deep balls, but he does not look exceptional on precision stuff.

The big thing though is that you can’t trust him. He’s had the best support system of any QB in years. Great line, and outstanding WRs.
Plus he’s gonna get injured. Even if he’s 210, which I doubt, but let’s say he is. That’s slight of frame for a guy who’s 6’4. Plus, he’s an upright straight line runner. No thanks. How many of these guys have to bust for the nfl to stop fawning over them. They get dinged up, and can’t throw when defenders don’t have to respect their run game.
When was the last time one of these guys won a Super Bowl? Oh, never. Yeah, let me repeat that. NEVER.
If the pats wanted this type of player they should have traded for Fields for cheap.

It’s Maye or bust for me. I want to be on record as much as possible with this. If Maye doesn’t fall, the solution is to trade back, maybe take Daniels best WR in Nabers, get a tackle in the late first with the haul, and ride out this season. Hopefully a decent QB is available in next years draft, or maybe take a shot on a guy in the second or third round.
Then use all the cap space everyone is complaining about to resign all the defensive guys who are gonna need new contracts sooner than later.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IuqqKAdVQU8

This is Justin Fields pro day. He just got traded for at best a 4th round pick.
I don’t know if that link will work, but watch some of Fields pro day and go back what the “experts” were saying about him, and just compare that to Daniels right now. And at least Fields was used to cold weather.
I don’t want to sound like I’m totally knocking Fields. The guy played in some awful offenses, and kept a good attitude. I’d much rather have him than Daniels going into next season.

Last edited:
The more I look at Maye the more convinced I am that he is for real or will be with just a little guidance and percolating.

I see a guy who has that thing that good QBs have -- the ability to see vectors or whatever you call it opening and closing and
being able to solve the equation and react to it. That same thing happens in all forms of sport and Maye, though he is young and
sometimes reckless, sees the field well and seems to have an instinct for keeping a D off-balance with the run-pass thing, which this
team hasn't had since before Steve Grogan started wearing a neck roll. His ability to draw a defender in his direction with a run fake and
hitting a guy right behind him is Mahomesish, although unpolished. He doesn't have to think about it, either. The kid is a natural.

He's not a purebred Portugese Water Dog at the Westminster Kennel Cub, but he has a good athletic pedigree, FWIW. His Dad was a pro
QB and I think it shows. Maye seems to keep his cool when the pressure is on and he's physically built for the pro game better than any QB
in this draft not named Joe Milton II and that is a pretty big deal.

Not only is he a really good athlete who can juke a dude hard and cut but he's capable of pushing the pile on the sneak -- which was a problem
with our last franchise QB. He's got excellent height, a solid, fit frame and fine speed and seems to make mostly smart choices when to push a run
downfield, which he is really good at and when to slide. He's got spatial awareness and good, though imperfect vision. He's pretty damn good
at seeing a hole in coverage and either running or throwing at it. He's a puppy still, but a smart one who is trainable.

I think the kid is smart, although he's made his share of boneheaded turnovers from over-aggressiveness. He's getting killed for that in some
corners, but it's a fact that if you want to make an omelette you have to crack a few eggs and Mahomes and Josh Allen have that same issue, but
they both put a lot of biscuits in the basket and win a lot of football games. Maye isn't a bad "game manager" but he isn't ever going to be limited by
that description.

He throws off balance more than you'd like to see, but he also makes a lot of big plays when he isn't in a carefully curated enviornment. His footwork allegedly needs
improvement, but he's got a strong enough core to complete passes without proper kinesiology, such as the well-known "run to your left and then
throw accurately downfield across your body" that Mac Jones was simply useless at. His arm is excellent at everything that I've seen him try but
NC doesn't run a lot of screens, I'd say. That's a bit of an unknown, but the lad can drive the ball with accuracy and pace into small windows with
anticipation that is somewhere between good to excellent. And he's got some growing to do. He's going to be a better pro than college QB, is my guess,
as long as he can be given a relatively stable system to grow into.

I am really glad that Jayden Daniels is so damn fast and fits the current prototype so well, because I believe the Commanders won't be able to resist and
Drake Maye will be our guy. And some day we will look back and celebrate that fortunate occurance.

It's time for me to state my case and declare my binkie. After spending some time looking at everything I've decided that it is definitely Drake Maye and I
don't care if he shits himself at his pro day or starts licking windows at his official visit -- he is going to be absolutely huge for this team and it's future.

If anybody has any specific issues with his game they'd like to hash over, debate or whatever then I'd welcome the challenge. This is too important a move
to have my head fogged in by a goofy man crush, but I think I'm seeing him for what he really is. We should want this guy instead of trading down. He's
simply too good to pass up or it will come back to haunt us.
If he is this good, he is gone by 3. And the Pats had better not trade up for him, as I have said and will continues to say, Kraft and most fans, deserve to see this guy get taken at 2, then turn into a HoFer. That could have been the Pats, sitting pretty with most likely the 1st pick and instead are close to no mans land and picking up the scraps in some ways. It will get more apparent the closer Apr 25 comes as well.

If he is this good, he is gone by 3. And the Pats had better not trade up for him, as I have said and will continues to say, Kraft and most fans, deserve to see this guy get taken at 2, then turn into a HoFer. That could have been the Pats, sitting pretty with most likely the 1st pick and instead are close to no mans land and picking up the scraps in some ways. It will get more apparent the closer Apr 25 comes as well.

So you can be proven right? You may need help, bud.

Last edited:
Lazar at UNC for Maye's Pro Day.

After watching him hit go-to receiver Tez Walker in stride on a 65-yard bomb, my immediate thought was, "How do the Commanders pass on this guy at No. 2 overall?" Washington, who controls the Patriots destiny in this draft, could fall in love with Daniels' dual-threat ability. But when it comes to who has more clubs in their bag, there's no question that Maye brings a much bigger repertoire of throws to the table as a pure passer.

Lazar at UNC for Maye's Pro Day.

After watching him hit go-to receiver Tez Walker in stride on a 65-yard bomb, my immediate thought was, "How do the Commanders pass on this guy at No. 2 overall?" Washington, who controls the Patriots destiny in this draft, could fall in love with Daniels' dual-threat ability. But when it comes to who has more clubs in their bag, there's no question that Maye brings a much bigger repertoire of throws to the table as a pure passer.

Lazar discussed his two pro days on his Patriots.com podcast.

According to EL, Alonzo Highsmith was the most popular person there. Talked up everyone. It was if he knew the players from prior recruiting.

Also, IMO, it seems pro days can be misleading. All the heavy breathers are there and can drive a decision on a non football event. Might be how Zack Wilson went high.

Back