The Fitness Thread

Another two miles today (two miles yesterday) but I'm starting to see an issue with the ankle that has a bone spur. It gets stiff and hurts at times more now. When I walk, my ankle gets almost normal when I walk. Then other times, it is so stiff I have a bigger limp then normal. I'm not going to quit walking but I may have to go to a doctor about this because it shouldn't be this way. Go figure, when I get a health scare and try to be healthier, another thing annoys me.

Another two miles today (two miles yesterday) but I'm starting to see an issue with the ankle that has a bone spur. It gets stiff and hurts at times more now. When I walk, my ankle gets almost normal when I walk. Then other times, it is so stiff I have a bigger limp then normal. I'm not going to quit walking but I may have to go to a doctor about this because it shouldn't be this way. Go figure, when I get a health scare and try to be healthier, another thing annoys me.
Have you thought about mixing some weight training in? Give your feet/legs a couple days of rest per week and work on your upper body.

Been walking on lunch break and while it would be awesome to have a work out area at work, we don’t.

I survived my first 15k this morning. It was a nice cool morning. I started out pretty strong for the first four miles until I got to the hill. I struggled with that quite a bit but got through it. I spent the majority of the race all alone but got caught by a couple people on the way back. I predicted before the race that I would do 1:40:00. My final time was 1:40:29. I finished like 27 out of 31 entries which was a bit disappointing but at least I can say I did it I guess. Total calorie burn for the race? 1,500 😳 I celebrated with biscuits and gravy and hash browns afterwards.

I survived my first 15k this morning. It was a nice cool morning. I started out pretty strong for the first four miles until I got to the hill. I struggled with that quite a bit but got through it. I spent the majority of the race all alone but got caught by a couple people on the way back. I predicted before the race that I would do 1:40:00. My final time was 1:40:29. I finished like 27 out of 31 entries which was a bit disappointing but at least I can say I did it I guess. Total calorie burn for the race? 1,500 😳 I celebrated with biscuits and gravy and hash browns afterwards.
Nice - you're on your way.

Half-marathon races are easy to find - I've done a few and I didn't start doing them until I was in my 50s. Keep up the good work fun.

Nice - you're on your way.

Half-marathon races are easy to find - I've done a few and I didn't start doing them until I was in my 50s. Keep up the good work fun.
I think at most this might be a once a year thing. I just don't think my body was built for distance running. :ROFLMAO: I just bought a new pair of shoes but the next time I think I might go to a running store and actually get fitted for some shoes and see if that helps me at all.

I think at most this might be a once a year thing. I just don't think my body was built for distance running. :ROFLMAO: I just bought a new pair of shoes but the next time I think I might go to a running store and actually get fitted for some shoes and see if that helps me at all.
I think every other year was my schedule for half-marathons, back when I was doing them. I'm almost 70 now and don't think I'll be doing those distances any longer.

I don't know how you feel about biking and swimming, but short-course duathlons and triathlons are a lot of fun, and training for them lets you incorporate other exercises into your regimen.

The shoes are super important. I used to try to find a name brand (Nike etc.) at Dick's and just buy what looked to be decent. Then a friend that has been running her entire life suggested I go to Hanson's (runners store here in MI) and get fitted. I have been running in Brooks Ghosts ever since. While I hate to pay retail for anything I happily pay for these shoes every three months. Best $140 you can spend on your feet/knees IMO.

The shoes are super important. I used to try to find a name brand (Nike etc.) at Dick's and just buy what looked to be decent. Then a friend that has been running her entire life suggested I go to Hanson's (runners store here in MI) and get fitted. I have been running in Brooks Ghosts ever since. While I hate to pay retail for anything I happily pay for these shoes every three months. Best $140 you can spend on your feet/knees IMO.
I'm kind of stuck in that name brand rut myself. My last four pair of running shoes have all been Under Armour. They have the chip inside of them that syncs with your phone and gives you information on your run. That totally sucked me in and I can't seem to break it. They have been good shoes up until recently when I have increased my distance. If I was still doing 3 miles I think I would be fine but anything past that I start getting some discomfort.

I'm kind of stuck in that name brand rut myself. My last four pair of running shoes have all been Under Armour. They have the chip inside of them that syncs with your phone and gives you information on your run. That totally sucked me in and I can't seem to break it. They have been good shoes up until recently when I have increased my distance. If I was still doing 3 miles I think I would be fine but anything past that I start getting some discomfort.
I totally understand the need for information. It can be addicting. Lol. I get my exercise feedback and information via my Apple Watch. I pay a lot of attention to my VO2 max score to gauge my progress.

Under armor kind of surprised me. I’ve not seen them in a running shoe light before.

I run in these:

Reactions: Alk
Probably not a huge deal to some but yesterday I did my first unassisted pull-ups. Even when I was younger I was a tall lanky kid that just didn't seem to have the strength to even do one. I had been doing them on the assisted pull-up machine and finally yesterday I decided to give it a go with no assist. I was shocked when I knocked out four straight with relative ease. I'm sure my form still needs some work but I did it. This was the kind of boost that I needed because I really hadn't been seeing much improvement in the gym recently.

i've usually been using 5 lb weight and heavier when we have weighted stuff we are doing. plus making sure i always have resistance on the bike and climber even when they say start with none. along with the 30 minute core only class i do, i have definitely noticed better strength and endurance.

and i DID finally get to my goal weight, but some dinners out have set that back, 😄 it's all good. now that i know i CAN get there, i will again(probably just a few pounds)
I need to get to 185 by 1/2/23 family cruise. Currently 196. It is going to be a bitch, but I am determined to get rid of these love handles at least once before old age makes it impossible. 55 in Feb. Back issues making it hard but still using treadmill.

Lifting 3 times a week, recently got into jump rope for some cardio and inline skating as well.

Various injuries have gotten in the way (hernia surgery coming up in January), but overall been pretty consistent for 7-8 years now. Diet is always key though.

I need to get to 185 by 1/2/23 family cruise. Currently 196. It is going to be a bitch, but I am determined to get rid of these love handles at least once before old age makes it impossible. 55 in Feb. Back issues making it hard but still using treadmill.
That seems doable. Not fun but doable. :ROFLMAO: Chicken, rice and veggies are your friend.

Had a free coopin for Brooks. They actually are pretty good! You said Ghosts? I grabbed a pair of Dyad 11's. They're very stable...which is important. They're not easy getting on, but, breaking them in is rarely easy. They fit perfect, other than that.

Good call dew!

110323-064-l-dyad-11-mens-high-support-running-walking-shoe.jpg

Last edited:
I don't go running. I go walking and stick in short sprints (One of my doggies loves that).
But I haven't done that for a while, getting enough exercise at the warehouse.

Back