The Golf thread

Today starts the Genesis Open. This is the same tournament that Tiger had his God awful car accident 2 years ago.
Today Tiger is playing in the tournament with a tee time of about 3PM.

Tiger Woods Pranks Justin Thomas

Woods handed Thomas tampon after outdriving him on the 9th hole at the Genesis Invitational :p

tCapture.JPG

aCapture.JPG

yCapture.JPG

Tiger had a very good day yesterday. He started +1, just above the cut line, and finished -3 for 3rd round. Given his injuries and that he hasn't played in a PGA tournament since last July, he has had a very good tourney.
Even though he's out of the running as far as winning, it's always more fun and more interesting if he's involved.

Tiger having a rough go on the front 9. dropped 2 shots already
Rahm looking strong. I have a feeling he'll end up winning it. up 3 strokes as I type this and while you never know, it doesn't look like he's giving that up.

Tiger does look physically spent today. You can tell by the way he's walking and even picking up his ball, must be hurting.

Tiger having a rough go on the front 9. dropped 2 shots already
Rahm looking strong. I have a feeling he'll end up winning it. up 3 strokes as I type this and while you never know, it doesn't look like he's giving that up.
I stand corrected on Rahm. he is now 1 back

And just missed hole in one and has easy birdie tap in

and does one or more people in the crowd have to yell “GET IN THE HOLE!” On every shot 🤷

Because idiots have taken a shine to golf over the last few years (in particular) and repeating
idiotic phrases for the TV mikes, the stupider the better, makes them feel special.

I'm hoping that these people, who seem primarily young and drunk, find something else to keep
themselves amused before long, because it annoys the shit out of me. I suppose I should
feel good that they are at least getting outdoors, but this is one trend that makes me wish they
would stay on the couch vaping and playing video games all day for my mental health.

Because idiots have taken a shine to golf over the last few years (in particular) and repeating
idiotic phrases for the TV mikes, the stupider the better, makes them feel special.

I'm hoping that these people, who seem primarily young and drunk, find something else to keep
themselves amused before long, because it annoys the shit out of me. I suppose I should
feel good that they are at least getting outdoors, but this is one trend that makes me wish they
would stay on the couch vaping and playing video games all day for my mental health.
I almost don’t hear them anymore.

I believe Tiger is credited with opening up golf to a much larger young audience then golf previously got.
That brings in some knuckleheads for sure, but Golf sure seems to have surged in popularity (or maybe I didn't pay attention before).

watching the Genesis invitational inspired me to go to a driving range near me that is open year round (went on Saturday) and it was packed! it was already 3:30 and was getting a might chilly, but every bay in the two level "mats" area were full and there was 20+ people hitting off the grass. every "marked" area was used and people were just hitting from anywhere open.
(and I was horrid... OMG, I suck and golf... why do I even try... :)
actually salvaged some wedge shots, but I couldn't hit driver for $hit and - of course - the guy next to me was hitting BOMBS.

I believe Tiger is credited with opening up golf to a much larger young audience then golf previously got.
That brings in some knuckleheads for sure, but Golf sure seems to have surged in popularity (or maybe I didn't pay attention before).

watching the Genesis invitational inspired me to go to a driving range near me that is open year round (went on Saturday) and it was packed! it was already 3:30 and was getting a might chilly, but every bay in the two level "mats" area were full and there was 20+ people hitting off the grass. every "marked" area was used and people were just hitting from anywhere open.
(and I was horrid... OMG, I suck and golf... why do I even try... :)
actually salvaged some wedge shots, but I couldn't hit driver for $hit and - of course - the guy next to me was hitting BOMBS.
If you can, always hit from grass. Unless you are there to only practice with your driver. Now, if you are there as a social event, some of the indoor (heated shells) around here have installed Top Tracer gear (Toptracer | The #1 Range Technology in Golf) that changes the dynamic. Now you are kinda practicing but really kinda playing. You pick actual courses or training programs and the stuff is pretty accurate. The one we have gone to has added bar service and big TV's with the current (or last) golf events as well as other sporting events. It is fun. But it is no longer really practice. For that, at least here in Michigan, you need 50° and grass. That link I included leads to a search function where you can find a location near you (I hope).

Last edited:
I've been interested in Toptracer or any "Tracing" that might help me. I've seen there's iphone versions that are so-so but give you something.

agree on grass and even with driver I prefer hitting off a tee on grass vs. a mat. seems like I tend to do better driving off a mat then I do on grass or at teh golf course.

As a side note, my experience with Top Golf facilities (they own TopTracer, BTW) has been terrible. Often crowded, weeks in advance reservations required, expensive as all hell and a golf experience that is below par (sorry). Interestingly, as they push out the Top Tracer technology to additional facilities I have to believe they will eat their own business. If I can get the tech experience of Top Tracer and the he warmth and social features at my local dome on a walk in basis for half the cost, why would I put up with the Top Golf "experience"? It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Oh! And the Dome experience is not timed! There is no rush. You buy buckets and hit them. No additional charge for the TT Technolgy. So for $50 my son and I can "play" St. Andrews over the course of two buckets, 2 beers each and be casual about it over 90 minutes. Top Golf? That is double.

Last edited:
We have one where I play golf..... They have some pretty interesting simulations one is playing a round on city rooftops.

~Dee~

Maybe I'm opening up a can of worms here but WTF happened to LIV? There for awhile that's all I would hear about but lately, nothing. :shrug-n:

Maybe I'm opening up a can of worms here but WTF happened to LIV? There for awhile that's all I would hear about but lately, nothing. :shrug-n:
They start their 14 event season this weekend in Mexico. The just poached another aging PGA player that said he wasn't leaving just three weeks ago. His name escapes me. On the lawsuit front, LIV's owners (the Saudi's) are appealing a magistrates decision that the Saudi's must participate in discovery. They are not a party to the lawsuit officially, but this order was damaging to LIV's case if teh Saudi's refuse which they will for sure. We shall see what happens on appeal.

Netflix recently aired Full Swing, an 8 episode "behind the scenes look" at the lives/play of various PGA pros highlighting 2022 season events

of LIV note one episode features Ian Poulter w/ an in-depth dive into his particular reasons for joining that tour --- also a less deep reveal of Dustin Johnson views on his LIV signing

I understand Poulter going for the $$ (his age, only 3 PGA wins | 12 Euro wins over 27 yrs) but Johnson going smacks of less time/ effort playing to keep high-maintenence Gretzky's daughter in her LA-LA lifestyle

one of the best take-aways for me was re-visiting the epic collapse of Mito Pereira at the PGA Championship where he performed THE WORST SWING I ever saw a PRO execute on his drive on 18.

now at age 27, having only joined the PGA Tour in 2021 he was poised to win his 1st event before shidding the bed but Full Swing was sympathetic in pulling for him and his future w/ the PGA

surprise, surprise --- guess who just joined LIV last week? Get that $$ while you're not hot Mito

Back