"The IG IG/Jerry Thornton Thread"

I want to wish Jerry luck. I have no idea on the demands of the job, but it seems to me that he could have done both WEEI and Barstool. One drives viewers to the other. Win Win.

In an earlier post or on the radio, Jerry said that WEEI was his dream job, and I believed him. Jerry was lucky enough to hook up with two of the most reasonable guys at WEEI, Arnold & Holley.

The world is saturated with podcasts, but there are only TWO major, live Sports stations in the Boston area AND WEEI reaches all of New England.

Jerry, you are great on the radio and I will miss you.

About 100 years ago (in internet time) my then boss linked me to a Barstool Sports article about coaching youth football (which I was in the middle of at the time) by none other than Jerry Thornton.

At the time I hadn't made the connection to the poster formerly known as "It's Good It's Good".

The article was flat out hilarious BTW and I've been a peripheral stoolie since.

Also, I can't f*cking stand Minehann. I couldn't stand him when he first started to get on the air and it blows my mind that they made him a cohost. Talentless phony. I completely stopped listening.

Depends on how you define "talent".

For instance, when it comes to stirring up a shitstorm, taking a negative view and stabbing people in the back when they've done nothing to deserve it then he's a virtuoso. He's that co-worker that you want to murder. That's his schtick.

I haven't listened to that show since I got a decent idea of what he's all about. Jerry Callahan's little pet pitbull. Ratchet him up and let him go off.

Anyhow, I doubt I will listen to the station much, if at all, anymore and that's sort of a relief.

I'm going to miss hearing Jerry on my drive home. I hope he gets everything he wants and as long as I can still read KJR, I'm happy for him.

Echo this. And KJR...... oh, and Sex Scandal Teacher updates.... :)

Does Jerry do a KJR on the bye week?

Tom Brady sat on a couch with his Uggs on the coffee table...

Julian Edleman and Danny Amendola rode skateboards around Boston...

That sort of thing?????

I'm just happy that Jerry gets to do what he loves, especially since he's so good at it. I wish him well.

I found Jerry through this site, and I've been a huge fan of his KJR pieces each week, since joining.

I'll be getting his book once it arrives in the UK on 16th November, aside from that I'll be rooting for Jerry no matter where he plys his trade.

All the best to him and may he continue to make us all laugh

Also, I can't f*cking stand Minehann. I couldn't stand him when he first started to get on the air and it blows my mind that they made him a cohost. Talentless phony. I completely stopped listening.

Isn't he the reason John Dennis got pushed out? Whatever you think of Dennis, seems to me the guy got the bum's rush after 19 years of pulling in ratings.. Wonder if he did it to himself or Minihane and Callahan put the knife in and twisted it?

Isn't he the reason John Dennis got pushed out? Whatever you think of Dennis, seems to me the guy got the bum's rush after 19 years of pulling in ratings.. Wonder if he did it to himself or Minihane and Callahan put the knife in and twisted it?

Purely speculating here as a long time fan of the show.

D&C were getting beat in the ratings and Minihane was brought in to create a spark. The ratings went up, but there was a price to be paid. Dennis grew tired of Mininhane's assinine rants and continuous assault on everyone in the media, including Dennis.

Callahan threw his support to Minihane because all Callahan cares about is ratings.

Dennis got to the point where he would not talk to Callahan and Minihane off the air, during commercial breaks etc.

Dennis also realized he had F-U money and didn't have to put up with this crap.... so off he went to Jupiter Florida to enjoy his house, his money, golf, and his 2nd wife.

Dennis was the pro on the show and I will miss him.

Purely speculating here as a long time fan of the show.

D&C were getting beat in the ratings and Minihane was brought in to create a spark. The ratings went up, but there was a price to be paid. Dennis grew tired of Mininhane's assinine rants and continuous assault on everyone in the media, including Dennis.

Callahan threw his support to Minihane because all Callahan cares about is ratings.

Dennis got to the point where he would not talk to Callahan and Minihane off the air, during commercial breaks etc.

Dennis also realized he had F-U money and didn't have to put up with this crap.... so off he went to Jupiter Florida to enjoy his house, his money, golf, and his 2nd wife.

Dennis was the pro on the show and I will miss him.

I agree with that last sentence. And your speculation is probably right. Dennis also probably looked forward to getting up every day at a civilized hour, too!

Man, Callahan is like a cockroach. Just about every host on that station has been shown the door at some point, even if some come back, but Callahan sticks like glue, except his suspension for racist comments and a salary dispute.

Mini-man just seems like a very unpleasant person even discounting any 'radio persona'. I can believe this guy's been in therapy for years.

I'll miss Jerry on EEI. He fed the Pats homer in me. Someday I'd like to meet him.

So, Minihane does a podcast on EEI and after a nationwide search he decided to beg Jerry to come on and discuss his departure from the station.

One interesting segment has Minehan attempting to get Jerry to throw some dirt on Dale and Holley and getting nothing but positives.

It's interesting because had I been in Jerry's shoes I would have told him to go do deep knee bends in the cucumber patch, but to me the tone was Kirk wishing he could escape the station and maybe trying to make nice in case there is a job for him out there somewhere after Jerry takes over the world and Minihane completes the current mission to burn every bridge.

Jerry, for his part, comes off as completely magnanimous in victory and that is why he is the classier guy.

http://media.weei.com/a/117407203/enough-about-me-ep-40-jerry-thornton.htm

Jerry has never been anything BUT classy in his time on WEEI. I also love the fact that he never backed down on his ripping of Shanks.

Please post a notice in this thread any time Jerry is doing a fill-in on WEEI, if that happens. I hope it does.

I'm going to miss Jerry on EEI for sure. He's been totally enjoyable.

Regarding Minehane... he's f-ing unbearable, and I think any ratings bump he gave to that show is analogous to slowing down to look at a bad car crash. But after you see the same car crash every day for a long time, you just keep driving.

Jerry has never been anything BUT classy in his time on WEEI. I also love the fact that he never backed down on his ripping of Shanks.

Please post a notice in this thread any time Jerry is doing a fill-in on WEEI, if that happens. I hope it does.

Jerry and Shank have a long history of antagonism.

It started with Shank's terrifically bad writing which Jerry lampooned to hilarious effect on Barstool with an article called the "Shank-O-Matic" in which he detailed how you can write your own Dan Shaugnessey column by following a few simple rules. That article generated some notice and I'm sure it was on Dan's desk that day and pissed him off.

Over the next few years Shank took a few thinly-veiled shots at Jerry while repeatedly denying he had any idea who Jerry was and that was a mistake. Back and forth it went. Shank was eventually forced to deal with the fan-boy hack he used as an example of how the internet has ruined the high art of sportswriting.

It was a fairly one-sided battle with Dan lacking the ability to win any of the skirmishes and, as lazy and talentless as he is, his influence continued to erode as the internet, and people like Jerry, grabbed a much larger share of the sports audience away from broadsheet columnists. They've probably had a dozen or so flaps over the years both in print and on the airwaves.

I was also happy that Minihane asked Jerry about media members that he hates and he didn't hesitate to name Shank. Nobody else qualified.

If he simply admitted that he knew who Jerry was years ago then this thing might've died out, but Shank's massive ego would not allow him to speak his name. Hubris.

Long may Jerry torture that jackhole.

The Shankomatic was an instant classic.
To this day I won't subscribe to the Globe because I hate Shank and another political columnist there.

The Shankomatic was an instant classic.
To this day I won't subscribe to the Globe because I hate Shank and another political columnist there.

sadly I spent about an hour with Shank at a Golf tourney and he was a great guy who shared a lot of funny stories from teams I adored in my late teens/ early 20's.

That said he is still Shank and that person I met is lost in all the negativity in this city and it stinks.

Viva le Barstool!!

Back