***The Officially Official Training Camp 2013 Thread (Officially)***

Fair enough. But if you're going to draft them you have to have some way of assessing their talent and ability. That's what I've done and I'm very happy with my conclusions. How far they go individually is completely up to them now.

I don't care about where/when a player's drafted nearly as much as their production on an NFL field, and how they help the Patriots.

I don't care about where/when a player's drafted nearly as much as their production on an NFL field, and how they help the Patriots.

Great! Then you won't mind a bit when Thompkins and Harrison are stars in a year even though they are UDFAs. Give them all a chance; these guys are different than Price, Jackson, etc.

Great! Then you won't mind a bit when Thompkins and Harrison are stars in a year even though they are UDFAs. Give them all a chance; these guys are different than Price, Jackson, etc.

If. Not when, If.

Here's something you should be worrying about, Tommy.

Greg A. Bedard ‏<s>@</s>GregABedard <small class="time"> 57s </small> Pats: Jamie Collins had a rough time in coverage, and the safety spot is still a mess, especially when McCourty moves to corner.

1. Greg A. Bedard ‏<s>@</s>GregABedard <small class="time"> 1m </small>
    Bucs: Looked like Donald Penn won the day vs. Chandler Jones, who I think is terrific.

Expand

2. Greg A. Bedard ‏<s>@</s>GregABedard <small class="time"> 2m </small>
    Bucs: Offensively, outside Martin & Jackson (who was open all day), they don't inspire confidence. Johnson's dominant trait is inconsistency

3. Greg A. Bedard ‏<s>@</s>GregABedard <small class="time"> 1m </small> Yes. Season won't be a prob RT <s>@</s>michaelgferrara: So essentially - Pats roll along - and you won't really know what you have until January?

4. Greg A. Bedard ‏<s>@</s>GregABedard <small class="time"> 4m </small> Pats: Saw Mankins and Solder destroy Bowers on consecutive plays. Solder looked good vs. Clayborn.

Expand

5. Greg A. Bedard ‏<s>@</s>GregABedard <small class="time"> 5m </small>
    Pats: All the kids are making progress. Only pertinent question: in playoffs, when teams double Amendola, Gronk, can they win 1-1?

Expand

6. Greg A. Bedard ‏<s>@</s>GregABedard <small class="time"> 8m </small>
    Pats: Amendola has taken Welker's role as being uncoverable vs. man cov. WR Thompkins looks like real deal to me. Phenomenal 1-hand catch

Expand

7. Greg A. Bedard ‏<s>@</s>GregABedard <small class="time"> 9m </small>
    Patriots-Bucs observations: kind of a sloppy practice. Pats passing not as crisp, apparently, as vs. PHI.

Thank you, Schrutes.

I did think it was interesting that Dobson was the first WR selected. The Pats wanted either a long high pointing boundary guy first or they decided to put intelligence ahead of athletic measurables. Personally, I think they wanted a tall guy outside first no matter what and Dobson was the smartest tall guy in the draft who came close to BB's required athleticism.

With the other signees, BB has collected tough/quicktwitch/hands catchers who will fight like hell for the ball. Also, I think Mark Harrison was signed expressly for IR after the Bears cut him. I hope so anyway.

I agree.

And don't sleep on TJ Moe either.

Having these guys around the team, in meetings, watching the walk thrus, and just getting the verbiage and plays down means they'll be flying out if the gate for next years roster. A position of weakness sure seems like a potential position of strength in just a single off-season.

The Pats utilize that IR/development angle as well as anyone.

Pats: All the kids are making progress. Only pertinent question: in playoffs, when teams double Amendola, Gronk, can they win 1-1?

Better than Lloyd, Branch and Ocho? I'd say the odds are pretty good.

I'm excited to see Patriots' RB's have success vs Bucs' defense, as well as packages used by NE.

Here's something you should be worrying about, Tommy.

Greg A. Bedard ‏<s>@</s>GregABedard <small class="time"> 57s </small> Pats: Jamie Collins had a rough time in coverage, and the safety spot is still a mess, especially when McCourty moves to corner.

Yup. This is a huge problem, assuming it's more than just a one-day occurrence. He seemed fine in extended time v. Philly to me. Safety bothers me, because Steve Gregory is still here.

Better than Lloyd, Branch and Ocho? I'd say the odds are pretty good.

Better than that group isn't the question. Bedard knows that obvious answer but he's pondering the 1 v 1 against the likes of the Seahawks, 49ers, Broncos, Ravens and Falcons in the playoffs. I don't know that answer yet but I like our chances better this year than last year.

Yup. This is a huge problem, assuming it's more than just a one-day occurrence. He seemed fine in extended time v. Philly to me. Safety bothers me, because Steve Gregory is still here.

With Tavon's regression, Gregory may be the 3rd best S we have. :blink:

Thank you, Schrutes.

I did think it was interesting that Dobson was the first WR selected. The Pats wanted either a long high pointing boundary guy first or they decided to put intelligence ahead of athletic measurables. Personally, I think they wanted a tall guy outside first no matter what and Dobson was the smartest tall guy in the draft who came close to BB's required athleticism.

With the other signees, BB has collected tough/quicktwitch/hands catchers who will fight like hell for the ball. Also, I think Mark Harrison was signed expressly for IR after the Bears cut him. I hope so anyway.

I don't think agility attributes are as important for a WR like Dobson (within reason of course). Dobson is more of a "straight line" athlete but his length and catch radius make up for his lack of quickness out of cuts.

I think BB and the organization wanted size and speed on the outside. They wanted a prospect who had both. There were a lot of guys who had size but ran in the 4.5 range. The only tall and fast prospects were Patterson, Hunter, and Dobson. With the first two off the board, they had to grab Dobson. I actually wanted Hunter but I didn't know about his lack of intellectual prowess. I never really liked Patterson because he came across as the most immature player in the draft. Both his character and receiving skills needed a lot of maturing. I don't like either problem in a top pick. Looks like we won out...maybe.

With Tavon's regression, Gregory may be the 3rd best S we have. :blink:

Does anyone know WTF is going on with these DBs in their second year? It seems to happen every year.

:donkeys:

Better than that group isn't the question. Bedard knows that obvious answer but he's pondering the 1 v 1 against the likes of the Seahawks, 49ers, Broncos, Ravens and Falcons in the playoffs. I don't know that answer yet but I like our chances better this year than last year.

They were good enough to make the SB the year before and won more than enough 1:1 battles to beat Baltimore last year, had they not repeatedly shot themselves in the foot.

I'm not seeing a distinction between the obvious answer and the question you are asking. :shrug_n:

the Digit doer is not going back the the DB's, he can't clutch and grab without getting caught

Well, he can't play offense or ST without getting hurt or just flat-out sucking...so why not give it a shot?

I don't think agility attributes are as important for a WR like Dobson (within reason of course). Dobson is more of a "straight line" athlete but his length and catch radius make up for his lack of quickness out of cuts.

I think BB and the organization wanted size and speed on the outside. They wanted a prospect who had both. There were a lot of guys who had size but ran in the 4.5 range. The only tall and fast prospects were Patterson, Hunter, and Dobson. With the first two off the board, they had to grab Dobson. I actually wanted Hunter but I didn't know about his lack of intellectual prowess. I never really liked Patterson because he came across as the most immature player in the draft. Both his character and receiving skills needed a lot of maturing. I don't like either problem in a top pick.

Patterson's Wonderlic = 12. Hunter's was 14. In a predraft interview, one of the Pats' coaches used Patterson as an example of a player who would be off the Patriots' board. Os may remember who that coach was but I don't. Guessing I'd say it was Daboll.

Does anyone know WTF is going on with these DBs in their second year? It seems to happen every year.

:donkeys:

:shrug:

1. Greg A. Bedard ‏<s>@</s>GregABedard <small class="time"> 14m </small>
    Brady seemed to have some growing frustration today. Bucs are a way better than the Eagles on defense.

Expand

2. Greg A. Bedard ‏<s>@</s>GregABedard <small class="time"> 16m </small>
    Don't know why people worry about Chandler Jones. He's a complete stud. Only thing that stopped him was an ankle he played through.

Expand

3. Greg A. Bedard ‏<s>@</s>GregABedard <small class="time"> 17m </small>
    Pats: Dobson had the drops today, but I really like him. Sudfeld is a gamer and an asset, solid. Ridley ran really well. Blount is just OK

Expand

4. Greg A. Bedard ‏<s>@</s>GregABedard <small class="time"> 19m </small>
    Bucs: Hard to judge the defense because a healthy Revis changes the game for everyone. Wasn't wowed by Barron or Banks. Goldson was good

Expand

Back