The Pats-Chiefs rematch is coming.

I see the Pats hosting a weary and tired Pitt squad in the AFCCG.

I don't know. They have to go into Arrowhead and beat that good (24th ranked overall, 26th against the run) KC defense and the brilliant tactician that is Andy Reid. :coffee:

I have no issue with Reid giving his team the week off. They know their opponent is likely Pittsburgh, who they've already played. His team is a bit beaten up. It's been a tough on-the-edge second half of the season, with almost every game like a playoff game (Bucs, Broncos, Falcons, Raiders, Titans, Broncos, Chargers).

I look at it like this. The Chiefs season has been like being on an exercise bike and pedaling madly at full-speed for 10 minutes; after that, you need a break to cool down and regather your energy. The Patriots season, on the other hand--like always--has been a constant smooth pedaling at about half-speed. The Patriots don't need to change their pattern aside from the usual "they'll have Friday Saturday Sunday off this coming week" because they're not as injured as KC and it hasn't been as stressful a finish. Reid is no amateur. He's 173-114 as a coach.

Reid is no amateur. He's 173-114 as a coach.
True. He had Donovan McNabb as a QB, and made the playoffs 2 out of every 3 years. And now he's doing something similar with Alex Smith.

Got to give the man credit. If he had a Brady or a Rodgers, or even a Manning, he would probably have some rings.

They wouldn't beat KC in Arrowhead if they had a good defense, never mind the puppy shit they'd be bringing.
Neither team's defense is all that impressive. In the end, I like Pitt's offense vs KC's defense more than KC's offense vs Pitt's defense.

Neither team's defense is all that impressive. In the end, I like Pitt's offense vs KC's defense more than KC's offense vs Pitt's defense.

KCs defense is the second best in the AFC only to the Pats. The Pitt defense is horrible. That being said, not sure how much I trust Smith to take advantage but KC at home is a brutal game.

I am not sure Pitt even gets by Miami. It is a terrible match up for them on both sides as Pitt's defense is awful vs the run and Ajayi ran rough shod over them during the regular season. The Pitt offense likes to go deep which means Ben will hold the ball allowing Wake and Suh to pound him. They knocked him out of the game last time.

No doubt that the battle tested KC team is the biggest threat to getting out of the AFC.

KCs defense is the second best in the AFC only to the Pats. The Pitt defense is horrible. That being said, not sure how much I trust Smith to take advantage but KC at home is a brutal game.

I am not sure Pitt even gets by Miami. It is a terrible match up for them on both sides as Pitt's defense is awful vs the run and Ajayi ran rough shod over them during the regular season. The Pitt offense likes to go deep which means Ben will hold the ball allowing Wake and Suh to pound him. They knocked him out of the game last time.

I don't understand where this whole KC defense being great comes from. Out of all the AFC playoff teams only Oakland and Miami are ranked below them in the conference, and we're literally talking about the two spots directly below them. Supposedly, they have a great pass rush but were 28th in sacks and 19th against the pass. The only defensive category that they cracked the top 10 in is PPG, and they were 8th there. To say I'm underwhelmed is an understatement...but the desperation the mediots will need to create to keep the haters thinking that there's a team out there that can come in to Foxborough and beat the Pats in January is real will have them slobbering all over KC's knob and telling us how great they are.

No doubt that the battle tested KC team is the biggest threat to getting out of the AFC.

Pittsburgh will beat them. Despite the media story line, their defense is hot garbage. Bell is going to go for 150+ and 2 TDs.

I don't understand where this whole KC defense being great comes from. Out of all the AFC playoff teams only Oakland and Miami are ranked below them in the conference, and we're literally talking about the two spots directly below them. Supposedly, they have a great pass rush but were 28th in sacks and 19th against the pass. The only defensive category that they cracked the top 10 in is PPG, and they were 8th there. To say I'm underwhelmed is an understatement...but the desperation the mediots will need to create to keep the haters thinking that there's a team out there that can come in to Foxborough and beat the Pats in January is real will have them slobbering all over KC's knob and telling us how great they are.

Justin Houston is a beast when healthy. And Eric Berry is a beast of a safety. That being said, there are not any great defenses in the AFC besides the Pats IMO. The best defense was Denver and they are out. There are also not any good defenses in the NFC outside of the Giants and the Giants are not all that great either.

What is interesting to me is if you look at the Pats 9 post-season losses in the Brady era, 3 were to the Donks, 2 to the Ravens, 2 to the Giants and 1 to the Jets. ALL of those teams had very good to great defenses. The only outlier was the Colts in 2006 when ManninHGH put up enough points to make up for his horrible defense and beat us with Brady playing with JV receivers. So the way I look at it, this is our easiest road to the ring we have ever had because there is not an elite defense in our way and this Pats offense can beat you anyway it wants.

Justin Houston is a beast when healthy. And Eric Berry is a beast of a safety. That being said, there are not any great defenses in the AFC besides the Pats IMO. The best defense was Denver and they are out. There are also not any good defenses in the NFC outside of the Giants and the Giants are not all that great either.

What is interesting to me is if you look at the Pats 9 post-season losses in the Brady era, 3 were to the Donks, 2 to the Ravens, 2 to the Giants and 1 to the Jets. ALL of those teams had very good to great defenses. The only outlier was the Colts in 2006 when ManninHGH put up enough points to make up for his horrible defense and beat us with Brady playing with JV receivers. So the way I look at it, this is our easiest road to the ring we have ever had because there is not an elite defense in our way and this Pats offense can beat you anyway it wants.

Not to mention Troy Brown at CB.

But yeah, as much as I won't make ultimate predictions I have a real hard time seeing any of the teams in either conference not only slowing down the Pats offense but also effectively moving the ball against the Pats D.

My feeling right now is that this has the potential to be the easiest path to a Lombardi the Pats have had. Granted, the games still need to be played, but the eye test tells me enough to give me tremendous confidence.

The Pitt defense is horrible.

The Steelers defense is actually better than KC's in terms of yards allowed. About equal in points.

It's a myth that the Steelers don't have a defense. They should have Tuitt back for the playoffs and if they do, that is one of the better front 7's in football, with a very solid combo of corners and a good safety in Mike Mitchell.

The truth about our defense: it survives almost entirely on turnovers.

With a healthy Houston, the pass rush is very good, but he hasn't been healthy.

Without him, it becomes very pedestrian, although Chris Jones is a beastly 3-tech interior rusher. Hali is on his last legs and Dee Ford is very inconsistent.

The run defense has caved without Derrick Johnson since the Raiders game.

This is why I think the Steelers will beat KC. They will carve us up with Leveon Bell, and when the Chiefs go single-high, Ben will murder them.

KC will need a game from the offense like they got in 2013 to beat the Steelers, and given the fact that our running game has not been very good this year, and Alex Smith is good for one TD a game, I don't see it happening.

It will be a big surprise if KC beats the Steelers, and a miracle if they then go to NE and upset the Pats to go to the SB.

The truth about our defense: it survives almost entirely on turnovers.

With a healthy Houston, the pass rush is very good, but he hasn't been healthy.

Without him, it becomes very pedestrian, although Chris Jones is a beastly 3-tech interior rusher. Hali is on his last legs and Dee Ford is very inconsistent.

The run defense has caved without Derrick Johnson since the Raiders game.

This is why I think the Steelers will beat KC. They will carve us up with Leveon Bell, and when the Chiefs go single-high, Ben will murder them.

KC will need a game from the offense like they got in 2013 to beat the Steelers, and given the fact that our running game has not been very good this year, and Alex Smith is good for one TD a game, I don't see it happening.

It will be a big surprise if KC beats the Steelers, and a miracle if they then go to NE and upset the Pats to go to the SB.

Pretty much word for word with what I would say. Beating Pittsburgh is going to require getting 4 TDs out of your offense. Now, I fully expect Pittsburgh to accommodate with a couple turnovers, but you'll have to be able to do something with them.

I'm not a fan of stats they way the media/NFL computes them. measuring a defense by yards and sacks isn't smart. While sacks are good, IMO total pressures is a far better measure, and I think there is no stat more ridiculous than using yards gained/yielded to determine the best defense.

Plus, as Mazz said (talking about the Steeler/Dolphin game), while overall stats tell about each team, it's all about team and individual matchups when you get down to specific games.

I'm not a fan of stats they way the media/NFL computes them. measuring a defense by yards and sacks isn't smart. While sacks are good, IMO total pressures is a far better measure, and I think there is no stat more ridiculous than using yards gained/yielded to determine the best defense.

Plus, as Mazz said (talking about the Steeler/Dolphin game), while overall stats tell about each team, it's all about team and individual matchups when you get down to specific games.

I agree with your general point, and that's why I used both sacks and pass defense in my analogy. 28th in sacks/19th against the pass = doesn't apply consistent pressure.

And yes, team and individual matchups are important. Of the field, there isn't a single team that matches up well against the Pats on either side of the ball.

One thing the Chiefs D does have going for it that is a huge change from the first 3/4 of the season is CB #2.

We had the worst CB in the NFL playing that spot for most of the year. We replaced him with a guy who has been absolutely nails, including against Derek Carr and Philip Rivers.

If something changes for us against PIT that may be a big deciding factor.

But again, I see their running game as a trump card that we can't counter with anything on offense.

One thing the Chiefs D does have going for it that is a huge change from the first 3/4 of the season is CB #2.

We had the worst CB in the NFL playing that spot for most of the year. We replaced him with a guy who has been absolutely nails, including against Derek Carr and Philip Rivers.

If something changes for us against PIT that may be a big deciding factor.

But again, I see their running game as a trump card that we can't counter with anything on offense.

= not Big Ben, and DEFINITELY not Brady...especially Rivers.

= not Big Ben, and DEFINITELY not Brady...especially Rivers.

I agree, but the Chiefs were letting receivers get wide, wide open in the first game. That's probably not happening again in two weeks.

Ben's accuracy is going to need to be at a high level to beat this defense, and he can't turn the ball over. Have you seen his numbers on the road this season? They aren't great.

Again, I think PIT will win, but this isn't the pass defense he destroyed in Week 4, especially if Houston is able to go.

I think Pitt's d is a little better than people think, but as usual, their o is getting out of proportion blow jobs. they were 10th in the nfl in scoring, tied with....the bills.
media loves omgwftbbq ben throwing long big playzzzzz11!!1 but that love is not backed with reality. i mean, bell is awesome, so is brown. but all of that translates to tying with buffalo so meh.

Back