Tom Coughlin is the frontrunner to replace Rex Ryan in Buffalo

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
This would not be good news.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/20...unner-to-replace-rex-ryan-in-buffalo/aoh1k2f/

The Way We Hear It, the Pegulas have been in conversations for some time now with Tom Coughlin, and Coughlin is the front-runner to be the next head coach of the Bills following this season.

Reports of the Bills owners’ interest in Coughlin date back to last summer, and our sources are telling us that conversations began again a few weeks ago and that the interest is mutual.

Unlike some former head coaches of Coughlin’s stature who need to be persuaded, coerced and wined and dined to return to the sidelines, Coughlin can’t wait. We are told he will jump at the first top job that is offered, which may be why the Bills appear ready to move on from Ryan so quickly.

While reports have surfaced of the Jacksonville Jaguars' interest in Coughlin, they are really as simple as general manager David Caldwell saying “the right thing” at a press conference discussing their head-coaching search.

Coughlin was good but not great – 68-60, four playoffs in eight seasons – as the first-ever coach of the 1995 expansion team. He was fired after consecutive 6-10 seasons.

Relatively new owner Shad Khan – he bought the Jaguars five years ago – will be hiring his third coach in five seasons. After missing on veteran Mike Mularkey and Gus Bradley, we hear he is unlikely to want to take the franchise back 15 seasons for a do-over with Coughlin considering his fairly young roster and Coughlin’s age (71 in August 2017).

As we reported here last week, we continue to hear that Bucs defensive coordinator Mike Smith is the most likely fit in Jacksonville.

Nonetheless, according to our sources, the Pegulas are sold on Coughlin. We hear they could move quickly the week after New Year's Day to put him in charge of their team.

There was talk of this back during the off-season. Reports of Coughlin talking with the Bills back then. It for sure would be a solid hire for the Bills and bad news for the Pats.

Why would he want to step into that mess? I guess some people just can't enjoy their wealth and retirement. Perhaps his wife is trying to get him out of the house.

I have 0 issue with anyone being hired for anything as long as it is free will of the employer and employee. That said, hiring him again would still be a short term solution so I don't get it.

Why would he want to step into that mess? I guess some people just can't enjoy their wealth and retirement. Perhaps his wife is trying to get him out of the house.

Plus I think he lives in Florida. Why on earth would he want to go to that frozen pit up there?

Plus I think he lives in Florida. Why on earth would he want to go to that frozen pit up there?

This is the reason why that JAX would be ideal (for him). Plus, he could try to bring that team back to it's playoff days. Notice that I never said anything about a superbowl though. :coffee:

Coughlin would be a fool to take the job.

Besides....he's boring. Even more boring than Bill is.

The two of them together would make the boringest division in football coaching wise.

We would have to hire Steven Wright as the AFC East mascot.

I wouldn't worry about Coughlin at the Bills. His Giants typically had very mediocre regular seasons and they would squeeze into the playoffs. He wouldn't have Eli in Buffalo and would be in the same division as the Pats. Jax would be the logical choice for him seeing as he's living in Florida and his history there. I wouldn't be worried about any current or ex NFL coach going to the Bills. It's the talented college guy who could build something there long term who would concern me.

coughlin would be a fool to take the job.

Besides....he's boring. Even more boring than bill is.

The two of them together would make the boringest division in football coaching wise.

we would have to hire steven wright as the afc east mascot.

+1

I wonder how long Coughlin will put up with Marcel Darius' crap for?

Back