Tony Dungy's Blog

cka203 on 09-17-2007 at 09:17 PM said:
And while I'm on my soapbox (and slightly liquered up), let me add...

What if the shoe were on the other foot?

What if Dungy was the one in the spotlight for this?

Am I to believe you'd all dismiss it as gamesmanship or whatever, and think it no big deal?

I doubt it.

You are all entitled to your opinions, but please, at least be honest with youselves, and fair to all of us.

You know you'd be whaling up a storm if Polian and/or Dungy were implicated in anything like this.

I think the point you're missing is that Dungy doesn't have to comment but he does. His statement implies things about the Patriots organsation (as that is the background to his statement) which aren't true and for which there is no evidence.

If it were Dungy in this mess, Pats fans would be lapping it up, obviously, but would BB be making statements about how grateful he is that he works for Kraft who wouldn't want him to cheat and cast aspertions on Dungy's SB <s>wins</s> win. I doubt it.

The problem that fans on this board have is not that other teams fans come on here and poke fun, talk smack about the taping, etc. The problem is when coaches who are professionals and should know better ellude to things which aren't true and perpetuate the myth that there is any evidence that the Pats SB wins are tainted. That's the problem with what Dungy said, and unless he has evience that no one else has seen that's why he ought to shut up.

I hope you, no matter how liquored up, can appreciate that.

Bandwagoneer on 09-17-2007 at 09:42 PM said:
No ridiculous media scandal would be complete without the Father of the Year chiming in. Left any severely depressed kids with one suicide attempt under their belt alone in another time zone lately, Tony?

Wait, so every person that kills themself has a parent to blame?

You're a ****ing douchebag.

I don't know if Tony is to blame for his sons suicide. But one thing I'm convinced about is that you can not be a good parent and a good family man and be a headcoach in the NFL. The demands of the job force you to sacrifice time with your family. I'm sorry but you can't tell me that they do that job with their kids in mind. They do it because they are obsesed with football and to some degree they are all egomaniacs.
But hey maybe St. D is an exception. Afterall he does have GOD on his side.:rolleyes:

Dungy's qualities as a father don't have anything to do with this discussion.

It's about statements he made on his blog.

Some could say that the Colts comeback last year looked kind of fishy. It's almost like they knew what the Patriots were going to do. Maybe they had the Patriots locker room bugged. ;)

If Bill was stealing signals all this time, do you really think that comeback would have happened? Why would the Super bowls have come down to a field goal?

Heck, If it wasn't for Caldwell's eating buttered toast on the sidelines, maybe the Pats would have won number four.

pretty ironic to criticize tony for speaking on something he doesnt know everything about, then make remarks on a much more sensitive subject that you dont know everything about

Dungy just needs to shut the hell up.

I said it after I read is statement "praising" the Pats :jerkit: and I'll say it again.

And it's not just Dungy. Every coach and player who has gotten their asses handed to them by the Pats and are using this as an excuse for the loss instead of just dealing with the fact that they got beat by a better team need to shut the hell up too.

I have the utmost respect for the players and coaches who, when asked about the whole thing, either said no comment or made a joke of it.

The Pats used a video camera instead of binoculars.... Hell, you didn't hear this much crap being sprewed by players and coaches around the league about Pacman, Henry, or even Vick, all of whom broke "real" laws. But man, use a recording device instead of the naked eye during a football game and the wrath of the idiots will be brought down upon you.

I just love the word "cheating". Like stealing signals is cheating. That's what a bunch of idiotic fans now believe since that's what the media is feeding them. Just in case any of those idiot fans are reading this... Stealing signs is not cheating. Using a camera to steal the signs instead of binoculars or the eye or countless other ways, is breaking NFL rules, not cheating. I doubt the idiots will see the difference since they just want an excuse to "bury" the Pats, but I figured I'd give it one last try. :rolleyes:

I can't wait to hear what these coaches, players and media idiots say the rest of the season when the Pats continue to kick ass. Will the teams the Pats beat all just be "bad"? What if the Pats beat both Pitts and Indy?? :eek: What will the excuses be then??

I'll await with bated breath. :rolleyes:

mgoblue101415 on 09-18-2007 at 12:38 AM said:
Dungy just needs to shut the hell up.

I said it after I read is statement "praising" the Pats :jerkit: and I'll say it again.

And it's not just Dungy. Every coach and player who has gotten their asses handed to them by the Pats and are using this as an excuse for the loss instead of just dealing with the fact that they got beat by a better team need to shut the hell up too.

I have the utmost respect for the players and coaches who, when asked about the whole thing, either said no comment or made a joke of it.

The Pats used a video camera instead of binoculars.... Hell, you didn't hear this much crap being sprewed by players and coaches around the league about Pacman, Henry, or even Vick, all of whom broke "real" laws. But man, use a recording device instead of the naked eye during a football game and the wrath of the idiots will be brought down upon you.

I just love the word "cheating". Like stealing signals is cheating. That's what a bunch of idiotic fans now believe since that's what the media is feeding them. Just in case any of those idiot fans are reading this... Stealing signs is not cheating. Using a camera to steal the signs instead of binoculars or the eye or countless other ways, is breaking NFL rules, not cheating. I doubt the idiots will see the difference since they just want an excuse to "bury" the Pats, but I figured I'd give it one last try. :rolleyes:

I can't wait to hear what these coaches, players and media idiots say the rest of the season when the Pats continue to kick ass. Will the teams the Pats beat all just be "bad"? What if the Pats beat both Pitts and Indy?? :eek: What will the excuses be then??

:archive:

Unbelievably well said, MGO! Thank you for putting into words what we all think.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

mgoblue101415 on 09-18-2007 at 12:38 AM said:

I can't wait to hear what these coaches, players and media idiots say the rest of the season when the Pats continue to kick ass. Will the teams the Pats beat all just be "bad"? What about when the Pats beat both Pitts and Indy?? :eek: What will the excuses be then??

Fixed MGO :Lecture:

:thumb:

:pat:

cka203 on 09-17-2007 at 09:01 PM said:
Okay, I've been relatively quiet and benign on this issue, and working too long and hard (at work) to post much, but I gotta say...

How in the hell can some of you people be so down on Polian for being part of a committee that enforces rules, yet excuse a coach who knowingly breaks rules?

And how can you be down on
Dungy, who's not once cried about your wins, or called you cheaters, in fact, has tried to convey positive things about the NFL... As compared to BB, who broke known rules, got caught, and then said "Sorry, Pats fans - Now... Anybody got a question about the game?"

I'm sorry - I know this won't be popular here - But I really don't get it.

The only thing I can come up with is you're all (not ALL - you know who I mean) - are just blind homers who believe that winning is everything - Even if it means breaking rules.

How disappointing.

I expected more from the folks here.

Again, just to be clear - This is not directed at everyone here - Just a few. And they know who they are.
You want honesty...sure. First of all, I'm on record saying that I am deeply disappointed in Belichick for what he did. Do I think it taints the Pats accomplishments? I don't know. The players have a say in a lot of that too and I don't think they are all cheaters. I didn't watch the San Diego game Sunday night because I couldn't bring myself to do it. This whole situation will forever leave a mark on the Pat's in my mind.

I would like to comment about your remarks but it would only get me in trouble on this board. So I will keep my mouth shut. Enjoy your fun. I'm sure it is a big hoot for all the Pats haters! They have basically built an addition on this place.:banghead:

Put me in the "losing respect for Dungy" camp after all his comments on this. Besides agreeing with what other Pats fans have said about this, I also want to add the fact that he has used his position as a HC to speak about his religious faith and I don't know of too many Christian faiths that believe in publicly judging others. On top of that to be sanctimonious about it? The Colts HAVE had criminal types on their own roster under his watch. And the sanctimony about Polian and Irsay is laughable too. What is so hard about saying "no comment"?
Yes, the Pats violated the rules, and yes they should be disciplined, no doubt and no argument from me there.

Will he be fined for publicly criticizing the officiating? I thought THAT was against league rules also?
Colts coach Tony Dungy has a question: Where has all the holding gone?

After reviewing the tape of his team's 41-10 season-opening victory over the Saints, Dungy felt too many offensive holding penalties were overlooked by referee Walt Anderson and his staff.

"I'm a little concerned, because watching the [other] games I did see, I saw the same thing," he said. "I don't know if it's just that we don't want to call penalties, we want the games to finish in three hours, but you see some stuff that should really be called. When it's not called, we want to get a feel if we're still calling them the way it's written in the book or not."

http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2007/09/16/strong_voice_favors_silence?mode=PF

So far, to my knowledge, only TWO coaches have had any type of pious comment on the situation, Nolan and Dungy. Every other coach is has either remained silent or said it didn't effect the outcome of any game, next question.

In a blog, Dungy is not responding to questions but freely offering up an opinion which takes a very clear shot at the Pats, BB and Kraft. Why did he feel the need to put that out there?

Most Pats fans here have stepped up and acknowledged the offense and penalty. What we're objecting to is the piling on and the continuing witch hunt. I've posted it before that I have little doubt that there are NFL organizations who have been doing alot of shredding and burning during the past few days.

And yes, if the situations were reversed, we'd all be having a good time with it. But it's a guarantee that BB would have nothing to say about it in any way, shape or form. And he'd instruct his staff and players to do the same.

BTW, any posting about Dungy's son with regards to this thread is over the line. It's neither relevant nor necessary.

Dungy is a self-righteous ASS, he really should have steered clear of this issue PERIOD.
He is as bad as half man of the media pundits trying to add fresh legs to this story every hour on the hour.

I have a feeling Juior Seau already has this part of his blog printed out and high-lighted with a stirring pre-game speech half prepared.

Thanks for the motivation Tones, surely Polian will try to have the Patriots defense cut to ten players during the playoffs as he runs crying to Goodell on the morning of the 5th.

I don't dislike Dungy as a head coach; his players have always respected him, and he's done a great job. He's not my type of coach; I like the the old school, hard-nosed coaches.

However, I do dislike the guy as a person. He claims to be a pious Christian, and yet he often comes across as a smug, judgmental person. It seems that he likes to call himself a devout Christian, and yet he makes judgements against others, something that is very un-Christian to do. Hypocrisy has always bothered me, especially among those who claim to be devout followers of a religion (doesn't matter which religion to me). If Dungy didn't care for how the Patriots won in the past, fine. But don't go preaching to everyone that you KNOW something, and to come back later to find out. Very hypocritical.

I don't post this as a defense of the Patriots. BB broke the rules (I don't think he "cheated"; I agree 100% with MGO), and he was penalized. Don't go sanctimonious on the Pats, Dungy.

bideau on 09-18-2007 at 06:42 AM said:
So far, to my knowledge, only TWO coaches have had any type of pious comment on the situation, Nolan and Dungy. Every other coach is has either remained silent or said it didn't effect the outcome of any game, next question.

In a blog, Dungy is not responding to questions but freely offering up an opinion which takes a very clear shot at the Pats, BB and Kraft. Why did he feel the need to put that out there?

Most Pats fans here have stepped up and acknowledged the offense and penalty. What we're objecting to is the piling on and the continuing witch hunt. I've posted it before that I have little doubt that there are NFL organizations who have been doing alot of shredding and burning during the past few days.

And yes, if the situations were reversed, we'd all be having a good time with it. But it's a guarantee that BB would have nothing to say about it in any way, shape or form. And he'd instruct his staff and players to do the same.

BTW, any posting about Dungy's son with regards to this thread is over the line. It's neither relevant nor necessary.

Good summary. That's exactly the way I feel.

HSanders on 09-18-2007 at 05:16 AM said:
Put me in the "losing respect for Dungy" camp after all his comments on this. Besides agreeing with what other Pats fans have said about this, I also want to add the fact that he has used his position as a HC to speak about his religious faith and I don't know of too many Christian faiths that believe in publicly judging others. On top of that to be sanctimonious about it? The Colts HAVE had criminal types on their own roster under his watch. And the sanctimony about Polian and Irsay is laughable too. What is so hard about saying "no comment"?
Yes, the Pats violated the rules, and yes they should be disciplined, no doubt and no argument from me there.

Will he be fined for publicly criticizing the officiating? I thought THAT was against league rules also?

http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2007/09/16/strong_voice_favors_silence?mode=PF

Holy crap, I missed that. I realize that Freeney gets held a lot, but Indy gets away with just as many holds on their own. Dungy better be careful what he wishes for because in the 8-10 offensive plays I watched this past week, their RT was holding on to the back of the DE's jersey on 3 of them. It doesn't really get much more blatant that what he was doing. Two of these plays happened on Indy's opening drive.

BTW, I had a dream last night that 4 more Patriots tested positive for banned substances, including Tom Brady. I was really pissed off.

the difference between Dungy and Belichick has nothing to do with the cheating but in my opinion how they respond to it or would respond to it

Dungy came out openly and MADE it a point to bring it up in discussion (as evident in his blog), fanning the fire and keeping it in the public eye by claiming it takes away from the games this past weekend and keeping it front and center

In my opinion Belichick would have given his typical "no comment" response and allowed it to pass

Back