Tsunami/earthquake in Japan...

This is exactly how I felt watching that awesome destructive force.

While I feel terrible for the people from Japan who got slammed by that thing I can't quite describe how I felt watching people in Hawaii, who were able to watch the video of what happened in Japan just 6 hours or so previous, standing on the bleeping beach right as the tsunami was supposed to hit Hawaii.

I know that it turned out far less destructive there than had been feared, but that doesn't account for the clueless behavior. For all those people knew the ocean could have wiped Honolulu out and they were standing around with their thumbs up their asses waiting for it.

By that point I would have been climbing the nearest mountain with a backpack on after seeing what that shit could do.

There's always some idiot with a surfboard heading towards the disaster.. and then rescuers have to risk lives and spend money to save them if they don't die right away.

That really sucks they have now been hit with two nasty nature disasters.

This is exactly how I felt watching that awesome destructive force.

While I feel terrible for the people from Japan who got slammed by that thing I can't quite describe how I felt watching people in Hawaii, who were able to watch the video of what happened in Japan just 6 hours or so previous, standing on the bleeping beach right as the tsunami was supposed to hit Hawaii.

I know that it turned out far less destructive there than had been feared, but that doesn't account for the clueless behavior. For all those people knew the ocean could have wiped Honolulu out and they were standing around with their thumbs up their asses waiting for it.

By that point I would have been climbing the nearest mountain with a backpack on after seeing what that shit could do.

Honolulu Police reported to have evacuated the idiots who were partying on the beach about 2:30am HST. regardless, nothing serious happened so that's good to hear, but prayer to Japan. that still doesn't justify their stupid behavior. Believe me, most of the state of Hawaii took it pretty seriously and got their act together.

My wife is Japanese and was/is getting ready to fly there Monday morning. (Not because of this, she was already going, although it may need to be delayed a bit.)

Her family is fine but there was a lot of breakage inside their home. Fortunately Japan builds it's skyscrapers with earthquakes in mind, so they can withstand more damage than most countries.

I have heard reports of 88,000 people missing. This is going to end with ultra high casualties.

Anyone have any ideas of the economic damage this may do to the world's economy?

My wife is Japanese and was/is getting ready to fly there Monday morning. (Not because of this, she was already going, although it may need to be delayed a bit.)

Her family is fine but there was a lot of breakage inside their home. Fortunately Japan builds it's skyscrapers with earthquakes in mind, so they can withstand more damage than most countries.

I have heard reports of 88,000 people missing. This is going to end with ultra high casualties.Anyone have any ideas of the economic damage this may do to the world's economy?

Over 300,000 people ultimately died as a result of the 2004 tsunami in Indonesia. Not likely that the human toll in Japan will reach that staggering level. :(

Anyone have any ideas of the economic damage this may do to the world's economy?

ThumbsDown.jpg

I have heard reports of 88,000 people missing. This is going to end with ultra high casualties.

I saw that report and that is just one town they said, this is so sad. God Bless them

This isn't a natural disaster. I would be willing to bet...why was the American base there prepared for it for days in advance? HMMMMM... :coffee:

This isn't a natural disaster. I would be willing to bet...why was the American base there prepared for it for days in advance? HMMMMM... :coffee:

Where did you hear or see that?

Okay, we get it.. you're a tin foil hat type who thinks this is all HAARP... please, give us a motive...

Alien Jesus on space city wanting revenge for bad anime? Humor me..

Reports now of two nuclear reactors venting radiation into the atmosphere, with one possibly as bad as Three Mile Island. :(

And no, its not time for any Godzilla/Mothra jokes either...
Posted via Mobile Device

Okay, we get it.. you're a tin foil hat type who thinks this is all HAARP... please, give us a motive...

Alien Jesus on space city wanting revenge for bad anime? Humor me..

There are some crazy, idiotic people out there.

I just wasted 5 minutes of my life researching HAARP and what some of those fools are thinking.

And people winder why the US is so far behind other countries, educationally.

This isn't even remotely funny OR appropriate. If you saw the video we have all saw today the only thing I can think is that you are evil or trolling. :((((

So if you have nuclear power plants, and a third of your countries power comes from nuclear power plants, and you know you have frequent earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, tsunami's, typhoons and other natural disasters... and you need water to cool the reactor.. and you know that the pumps that are needed to cool the reactor are powered by electricity.. and you could lose electricity if there's a disaster..... ah, nevermind, a realistic plan for this to not fail would probably cost tons of money. :rolleyes:

So if you have nuclear power plants, and a third of your countries power comes from nuclear power plants, and you know you have frequent earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, tsunami's, typhoons and other natural disasters... and you need water to cool the reactor.. and you know that the pumps that are needed to cool the reactor are powered by electricity.. and you could lose electricity if there's a disaster..... ah, nevermind, a realistic plan for this to not fail would probably cost tons of money. :rolleyes:

Unforunately, the net nuke result WILL probably be akin to Three Mile Island. :manning: :

Human nature is a combo of 'good enough', budgetary constraints, hubris, and hubris again (variations).

Fortunately, like the oil spills, it'll miraculously disappear.

This isn't even remotely funny OR appropriate. If you saw the video we have all saw today the only thing I can think is that you are evil or trolling. :((((

In fairness, there was a reknowned expect on GMA predicting this very event last week. Based on scientific predictions.

Back