Tsunami/earthquake in Japan...

This isn't a natural disaster. I would be willing to bet...why was the American base there prepared for it for days in advance? HMMMMM... :coffee:

This isn't even remotely funny OR appropriate. If you saw the video we have all saw today the only thing I can think is that you are evil or trolling. :((((

That was my reaction to his post as well. I was rather pissed off by it, put mildly.

So if you have nuclear power plants, and a third of your countries power comes from nuclear power plants, and you know you have frequent earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, tsunami's, typhoons and other natural disasters... and you need water to cool the reactor.. and you know that the pumps that are needed to cool the reactor are powered by electricity.. and you could lose electricity if there's a disaster..... ah, nevermind, a realistic plan for this to not fail would probably cost tons of money. :rolleyes:

The reactors were built to withstand an earthquakes of 7.0-7.5 or so, not an 8.9.

I was listening on NPR and they had a structural engineer talking about the high rises. He equated it to a car being in a wreck. All the safety features deploy and you are able to get out of the car alive, but it will never be driven again. The buildings are designed to get the people out, but will likely have to be torn down.

I was in a 35-floor highrise office building in SF when the 1989 Loma Prieta quake struck. It "only" measured 6.9 on the scale - small compared to what just happened in Japan - but it made those big skyscrapers sway back and forth like stalks of wheat. Everything falling off the shelves, windows popping out - general terror.

That was horrifying enough so I simply cannot imagine what this monster would have felt like. The thing about an earthquake, when you feel the first shake, you don't know if that's all or if it's gearing up to really rumble. You just can't predict at that first instant how long or how strong it will be. Believe me - breath is held during the entire event!

Good luck to our Japanese brethren.
:peace:
I was living in Hayward at the time. That was a jolty/rolly one for sure. I could not image anything larger than that :(

So if you have nuclear power plants, and a third of your countries power comes from nuclear power plants, and you know you have frequent earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, tsunami's, typhoons and other natural disasters... and you need water to cool the reactor.. and you know that the pumps that are needed to cool the reactor are powered by electricity.. and you could lose electricity if there's a disaster..... ah, nevermind, a realistic plan for this to not fail would probably cost tons of money. :rolleyes:

All Western designed nuclear plants (i.e., not Russian) have redundant safety systems and employ a "defense in depth" strategy.

They have standby diesel generators at that plant, but the news reports I saw, said that the tsunami damaged them.

As Beagle Bay said, they were designed for a lower magnitude earthquake.

As far as a comparison to TMI, that would be a good thing.

There was little or no impact outside the plant boundary from that accident. Yes the reactor suffered major damage and could not be put back in service, but again there is an example of how the defense in depth approach prevented any significant impact outside the plant.

Based on the news reports I've seen and filtering them through the 30 years experience in the nuclear industry, here's what I think has happened there.

When the Earthquake struck, the reactor scramed and shut down. That stopped all the nuclear reactions, but they still have to deal with the residual decay heat in the core. Think of it this way, when you take a cast iron pan off a hot stove, it doesn't immediately cool off. It takes some time.

The core of a nuclear reactor is big enough and has enough heat in it, that even after the nuclear reaction stops, it can melt the fuel assemblies if you don't maintain cooling water.

So that was problem #1. They lost electricity which is used to run the pumps.

These plants are of the Boiling water reactor (BWR) design, so the coolant that flows through the core is allowed to turn to steam to drive the turbines. Without the pumps, they have a difficult time putting the water back into the reactor.

The earthquake also cause another problem. If they can't send the electricity out into the grid, then they can't run the turbine, which means they don't remove heat as well from the core (i.e. the water doesn't turn to steam).

This is probably why they vented steam from the plant. Because of this venting, they were worried about iodine-131 being released. I-131 is one of the most common volatile radioactive isotopes created as part of the fission process. This is why iodine was given to people in the area. The Thyroid will absorb iodine, and doesnt care which isotope it is. Once it's full it won't absorb any more. So if you take iodine pills, you won't absorb any if the I-131, should you be exposed to it.

The reports of an explosion are almost certainly a hydrogen explosion. When you have that amount of hot water, you get some separation of the oxygen from the hydrogen.

This accumulated someplace inside the reactor building and exploded.

The reactor building is a concrete structure. Inside that is the containment vessel that is a steel pressure container that has pressure doors and air locks to get in and out of it. That has not been damaged, according to reports.

Inside the containment vessels is the reactor vessel that holds the nuclear fuel.

As long as the containment vessel holds, nothing released from the reactor vessel should get out.

Okay, we get it.. you're a tin foil hat type who thinks this is all HAARP... please, give us a motive...

Alien Jesus on space city wanting revenge for bad anime? Humor me..

You choose to believe whatever is on in front of you in your tv screen, which baffles me. Yet you try to make me look like a fool.

You are asleep at the wheel. Walking blind. :clap:

Why don't you do some research on Nikoli Tesla's information gathering experiments and find out what really is possible (even way back then).

Smart guy.

There are some crazy, idiotic people out there.

I just wasted 5 minutes of my life researching HAARP and what some of those fools are thinking.

And people winder why the US is so far behind other countries, educationally.

The blind teaching the young. I love this hypocrital stance... :shake:

This isn't even remotely funny OR appropriate. If you saw the video we have all saw today the only thing I can think is that you are evil or trolling. :((((

WTF?

What did I say that was so terrible? Tell me.

It is appropriate. You believe in global warming too?

You are misguided by what I have said. That is all.

BTW, TGIASM, the idiots who believe in HAARP causing this are the same who believe in the New World Order.

Idiots.

Please show me at ANY level that world leaders are collaborating.

JHC.

WTF?

You intimate that the devastation in Japan is somehow NOT a natural disaster and "global warmning" isn't a "belief but that isn't what this thread is about. Belief isn't APPROPRIATE to some discussions because hard cold facts exist to those that are mostly sane. Peope can "believe" that the world was populated by aliens who threw their bodies into volcanoes or any sort of thing. Tsunamis and 8.9 earthquakes are part of the science of our planet. At least the one I live on.:shrug:

Posting something like that in here shows a lack of compassion for the people who are suffering as well.

WTF?

Also please do not single me out for calling you out on this. Several other posters have as well. Thanks.

BTW, TGIASM, the idiots who believe in HAARP causing this are the same who believe in the New World Order.

Idiots.

Please show me at ANY level that world leaders are collaborating.

JHC.

This and if he does attempt to show you that may I ask it goes to the political forum?:) Danke sehr.:)

I see people calling out tgiasm but no one agreeing my opinion matters not but if you that disagree ignore the comment, do not quote and respond, the post goes by the wayside and nothing is said of it.

Words only have power if you listen and comment, an ignored post gets lost and fizzles out.

I see people calling out tgiasm but no one agreeing my opinion matters not but if you that disagree ignore the comment, do not quote and respond, the post goes by the wayside and nothing is said of it.

Words only have power if you listen and comment, an ignored post gets lost and fizzles out.

Felt that if I ignored your post, you'd think I disagreed with ya...:blink:

Back