Video Games Thread

He's playing on a new(ish) Vizio right now. LCD I think. He does play mainly with friends but they play together online and it's in some super competitive leagues. He's pretty insistent that this is what he wants so we'll probably get one for him. My biggest problem now is it's technically my PS4. His younger brother bought his own after he sold his Wii U and used his Birthday money. So that means my PS4 will go into his bedroom and I'll probably never see it again. I barely use it but I still would like to play it especially on the weekends but I think my wife would put her foot down at having three PS4s in the household.
IDK about PS4, but when Windows 10 comes out you'll be able to stream Xbox One games to your Windows device, so you could essentially keep the Xbox One in the living room and he could still play in his room on his computer. I'm almost positive PS4 has something similar, but I wouldn't know for sure.

Divinity Original Sin has been a lot of fun. Baulders Gate type of game.

If you guys are ever looking for a good couch co-op game, Borderlands 2 is a freaking blast. Incredibly fun and very playable with two people, which is something hard to find nowadays with all this online multiplayer stuff

If you guys are ever looking for a good couch co-op game, Borderlands 2 is a freaking blast. Incredibly fun and very playable with two people, which is something hard to find nowadays with all this online multiplayer stuff

Man, this is one of my biggest disappointments with next-gen console gaming. I grew up playing couch co-op on Sega, N64, XBox, etc. The last two generations of XBox/Playstation have really killed couch co-op ... online just isn't the same. Lots of good options on Wii U though, but I haven't bothered buying one.

I've heard Diablo 3 is really good couch co-op, but I still haven't gotten over the disaster that was Diablo 3 PC release build.

Man, this is one of my biggest disappointments with next-gen console gaming. I grew up playing couch co-op on Sega, N64, XBox, etc. The last two generations of XBox/Playstation have really killed couch co-op ... online just isn't the same. Lots of good options on Wii U though, but I haven't bothered buying one.

I've heard Diablo 3 is really good couch co-op, but I still haven't gotten over the disaster that was Diablo 3 PC release build.

We played Diablo 3 as well and it's...kinda meh. Though, I've never played Diablo before it so I might've just not known what I was getting myself into. It's totally playable for an hour or so with another person but it starts getting repetitive real quick (button mashing at large groups of enemies is basically the gist of it)

We played Diablo 3 as well and it's...kinda meh. Though, I've never played Diablo before it so I might've just not known what I was getting myself into. It's totally playable for an hour or so with another person but it starts getting repetitive real quick (button mashing at large groups of enemies is basically the gist of it)

Ya, I mean I was hardcore into Diablo and especially Diablo 2. Also put in 200-300 hours with D3 on PC, but it was a ****ing terrible game compared to its predecessors. I've heard the console version is actually pretty decent, though still not in D2's league.

Was thinking of picking it up used to play with my brother, but we've both played the PC version enough (and hated it) so I'm not sure. But couch co-op on PS4 is ridiculously limited...

YES!!! I have played borderland!! I have finally understood something in this thread!!!!

My son likes to get the older games, he tells me they are more fun and better than the knew ones as far as playing them.

He also will break out the original playstation and play some game because it is old school version of something.

YES!!! I have played borderland!! I have finally understood something in this thread!!!!

My son likes to get the older games, he tells me they are more fun and better than the knew ones as far as playing them.

He also will break out the original playstation and play some game because it is old school version of something.

Oh yea I was a beast at some of the first online shooter games. PS2's SOCOM II and Medal of Honor: Rising Sun were my "prime" video gaming years lol. Now there's a little too much going on, kill streaks here, DLC there, gigantic gaming communities and no gaming lobbies which makes it...IDK, it's like you'll hardly play with the same person twice on a random basis. In the PS2 days you almost developed a "thing" with people playing because it was always the same group of 300 ish people

Oh yea I was a beast at some of the first online shooter games. PS2's SOCOM II and Medal of Honor: Rising Sun were my "prime" video gaming years lol. Now there's a little too much going on, kill streaks here, DLC there, gigantic gaming communities and no gaming lobbies which makes it...IDK, it's like you'll hardly play with the same person twice on a random basis. In the PS2 days you almost developed a "thing" with people playing because it was always the same group of 300 ish people

This evolution is felt even more for PC gaming. Many games have moved away from third-party hosted servers, effectively destroying server communities. WoW is the industry example for how to destroy an amazing community ecosystem where entire servers knew each other in favor of adopting a model that encourages faceless mob gaming.

Gamers in the late 90s and early 2000s were also more motivated by overcoming challenges or simply trying to become really good at the game. There was no actual motivation to play Counter-strike for 500 hours beyond trying to get better at the game, yet that is what thousands of people did for years. Console gaming starting with the XBox 360 generation helped destroy that mentality by building in dozens of 'fake' carrots, such as achievements, DLC, etc. People play games now to hit imaginary goals and feel like they are accomplishing something, while an emphasis on skill and community has fallen to the side.

Gaming was much better before it became so mainstream :( Companies have smartly adapted and implemented models that produce better profits, but for gamers who were serious about it pre mid-2000s, there's no comparison. Just look at how modern day FPS games (lololol COD) compare to classics like CS, Unreal Tournament, Quake, Painkiller, Tribes, original COD, etc.

OK, now I'm depressed.

If any of you PS4 owners are looking for a fun free game, you should check out Rocket League. It's free to download from the Playstation Store this month only. It's basically soccer played with a giant ball and rocket powered cars and trucks. When I first heard about it I thought it was the dumbest concept ever...and it is but somehow it works and it's a hell of alot of fun. This is the first game in quite a while that my sons and I can all play together and have a blast. We team up and go online and play 3 v 3 matches.

If any of you PS4 owners are looking for a fun free game, you should check out Rocket League. It's free to download from the Playstation Store this month only. It's basically soccer played with a giant ball and rocket powered cars and trucks. When I first heard about it I thought it was the dumbest concept ever...and it is but somehow it works and it's a hell of alot of fun. This is the first game in quite a while that my sons and I can all play together and have a blast. We team up and go online and play 3 v 3 matches.

I second this. One of the best "sports" games out there. Up to 4 player, splitscreen local, as well as on line play.

I've been gaming for decades and really enjoy it. Why else would I game for so long?
I've got a steam account and I own a few consoles. My most recent games have been Bloodborne and Darksouls II. Love the challenge.

Bloodborne is a bitch... those save points are ridiculous. I mean it's like you have to beat the whole level before you die

RIP Satoru Iwata, president and game developer of many Nintendo classics.

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Satoru_Iwata

Saw this earlier:

CJx_YqJWEAAH0WJ.jpg

For those who tried Diablo 3 and realized it sucked, check out Grim Dawn. Fantastic.

Recently picked up Assasin's Creed Odyssey for PS4 and it's surprisingly good.

Debating finally upgrading PC again as I've kind of ignored gaming for a while but trying to make due with PS4 (just not the same...).

For those who tried Diablo 3 and realized it sucked, check out Grim Dawn. Fantastic.

Recently picked up Assasin's Creed Odyssey for PS4 and it's surprisingly good.

Debating finally upgrading PC again as I've kind of ignored gaming for a while but trying to make due with PS4 (just not the same...).

ACO is phenomenal. The ending is, in my opinion, anti climatic , although I’m not sure if I have actually completed everything .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back