Week 3 Game Thread- New England at NY Jets @1:00 PM

Lazar gives us some hope vs their passing game

With the second-year Joneses on injured reserve, the injury to the veteran Jones leaves the Patriots with the following at corner: Christian Gonzalez, Myles Bryant (CB/S), Jalen Mills (CB/S), Shaun Wade, and rookie special-teamer Ameer Speed. Gonzalez will play a major role at outside cornerback, as the rookie has in the first two weeks. Bryant likely elevates to the top slot/nickel, and Mills probably kicks back outside to cornerback as New England's top three CBs against the Jets.

Although losing the veteran Jones for the second consecutive game is difficult, the Jets passing attack with backup quarterback Zach Wilson is limited. Besides star receiver Garrett Wilson, WR Allen Lazard is second on the team with four catches for 69 yards. At the same time, former Packers teammate Randall Cobb has yet to register a catch on two targets through two weeks.

On a positive note, the Patriots projected starting offensive line made the trip and is in line to play on Sunday. The team removed starting left tackle Trent Brown from the final injury report, meaning he cleared concussion protocol and is good to go. Starting guards Cole Strange (knee, questionable) and Michael Onwenu (ankle, questionable) returned against the Dolphins in Week 2 and made the trip this week.

With the Patriots starting O-Line practicing in some capacity this week and trending in a positive direction, New England could have its core group together for the first time this season (including training camp). The Pats ranked dead-last in run-blocking grade and second-to-last in pass-block win rate in the first two weeks. Although it's a tough matchup against a great defensive front, the Patriots are finally healthy along the offensive line to battle the Jets.

New England's right tackle situation is still unsettled, but the projected starting offensive line could look like this: LT Trent Brown, LG Cole Strange, C David Andrews, RG Mike Ownenu, and RT Calvin Anderson. Anderson might have a shorter leash after two rough outings this week, with backup Vederian Lowe looking serviceable in Week 2.

How about a first quarter score? That seems like good strategery to me. When's the last time the Patriots scored in the first quarter? What is the total 1st quarter score since whenever the hell that was?
This is key in my opinion, get up early and that crowd will be rabid. Throw in a couple defensive stops and they will be on Wilson quicker than our pss rush.

Looks like rain in NJ today. Wins 10-15 mph with gusts up to 25mph.
The Jets call themselves New York but they play in NJ in a stadium that they split with another team that calls themselves New York but plays in NJ.

Last edited:
Good to see you again.
Lets Go Football GIF by New York Jets
Sorry! ☺️

Hope to God I'm wrong, but this just feels like a bad spot for the Pats.

Not sure how much that hurts, he’s been pretty awful.

As much as the Patriots’ offensive line has struggled going back to training camp, the Jets situation has arguably been worse. They’ve struggled to pass protect going back to the early padded practices, and those issues have translated to the regular season.

Coming into this game, the Patriots have the second-worst pass block win rate in the NFL at 37 percent. The only team worse? The Jets, at 33 percent.
Not having your starting LT can't help.

Hope to God I'm wrong, but this just feels like a bad spot for the Pats.

Me neither. I've got a bad feeling going into this one. Everything feels negative, especially our depth chart at Cornerback and
the last thing I want to see is Zack getting right against 4th and 5th string guys, but it is what it is.

Still, I'm going with the "everything I think is wrong" philosophy and will predict the Pats win a high-scoring game
31-27.

I failed to remember to sign up for Sunday ticket when it was $50 discounted and now I am loathe to pay the full price. Does anybody have or remember the websites we use last year to watch games online? My brain is a little fizzled these days and I feel the life of me can't remember.

Wait, streameast? Any others?

As much as the Patriots’ offensive line has struggled going back to training camp, the Jets situation has arguably been worse. They’ve struggled to pass protect going back to the early padded practices, and those issues have translated to the regular season.

Coming into this game, the Patriots have the second-worst pass block win rate in the NFL at 37 percent. The only team worse? The Jets, at 33 percent.
Not having your starting LT can't help.

8. When 95 = 93: When the Patriots added $2 million in playing-time incentives/bonuses to starting left tackle Trent Brown’s contract last week, they did him a solid in one area. One of the incentives for Brown to reach was 95% of the offensive snaps, which wouldn’t have been possible after he missed last week’s game with a concussion. So they lowered it to 93%, which is still within Brown's reach if he remains on the field for the rest of the season.

Me neither. I've got a bad feeling going into this one. Everything feels negative, especially our depth chart at Cornerback and
the last thing I want to see is Zack getting right against 4th and 5th string guys, but it is what it is.

Still, I'm going with the "everything I think is wrong" philosophy and will predict the Pats win a high-scoring game
31-27.
I have a bad feeling about this game, but what do I know 🤷
will be watching so let’s see what happens
i tend to be ‘worst case’ mindset then pleasantly surprised when it goes well

I'm in the opposite corner. I think this is a get right game for the Patriots. I'm not ignoring the problem at cornerback at all. But I think the offensive line will be markedly better than last week, and that's in the face of a considerably better defensive line of the Jets. I think Bill will make sure the New York running game is held in check and try to let Zach Wilson beat the patriots. That ain't gonna happen.

Plus, it's the Jets.

Me neither. I've got a bad feeling going into this one. Everything feels negative, especially our depth chart at Cornerback and the last thing I want to see is Zack getting right against 4th and 5th string guys, but it is what it is.

31-27.

call me coo-coo, Hawgie, but maybe -- just maybe -- Myles Bryant has a Pro Bowl day at corner today

he is, after all, a UFA next year and still young enough to bag a bag next year w/ a show-me performance this year starting today

I'll show myself out through the back now.......

Back