We're on to Cincinnati

I think when I look at the make up of this defense with the athletic DE's and LBs and our CBs who can cover and our all pro safety, I am wondering why we are not more attacking? Bill is known to be a coach to never play a system but to match his defense to his personnel and the opponent he is playing. He built this defense and it seems like he is leaving it in neutral IMO.

Still, I know it is early in the season and back in 2014 we did the same thing early, playing lots of zone but I really do hope at some point we flip the switch.

Collins could be the sack leader in the league from the word rookie year...ok, two words. :coffee:

CIN 10TH OFF; NE 12TH DEF
CIN 25TH RUN; NE 9TH vs. RUN
CIN 5TH PASS; NE 19TH vs. PASS
CIN T24TH PTS; NE 4TH PTS ALLOWED
NE 7TH OFF; CIN 11TH DEF
NE 4TH RUN; CIN 19TH vs. RUN
NE 15TH PASS; CIN 11TH vs. PASS
NE 17TH PTS; CIN 16TH PTS ALLOWED
CIN T9TH TO/TA; NE 5TH TO-TA
BENGALS off to worst start since 2010, when they won only 4 games, after lackluster 28-14 loss to Cowboys in Week 5, getting outgained 402-345.
It could get worse for BENGALS, who have not won in New England since 1986 and have lost last 6 games in Foxboro.

BENGALS have not scored more than 23 points in any game and are averaging only 18.4 ppg.
BENGALS QB Andy Dalton was not the problem in Week 5 loss, throwing for 24-41-269-2 TDs-0 INTs and adding 6-34 on ground.
BENGALS WR Brandon LaFell had 8-68-2 receiving on 11 targets in Week 5, but No. 1 WR A.J. Green was limited to 4-50 receiving on 8 targets.
BENGALS dual-threat RB Gio Bernard had 9-50 rushing, 6-46 receiving in Week 5.
BENGALS defense has allowed opponents 100 yards rushing in 3 of 5 games, including a whopping 180 yards to the Cowboys in Week 5.
PATRIOTS are NFL-best 50-17 in October since 2000 after having their way with lowly Browns in 33-13 road victory, outgaining Browns 501-262 behind strong 2016 debut by QB Tom Brady.
PATRIOTS Brady threw for 28-40-406 and 3 TDs to TE Martellus Bennett (6-67-3 receiving) in Week 5 and directed offense that converted 9-of-17 3rd-down opportunities.
PATRIOTS head coach Bill Belichick took sole possession of fourth place on NFL's career list with victory over Browns.
PATRIOTS TE Rob Gronkowski had 2016 breakout game with 5-109 receiving on 7 targets in Week 5 win.
PATRIOTS WR Chris Hogan had 4-114-1 receiving on 5 targets, including a 63-yard catch, in Week 5.
PATRIOTS defense limited Browns top-ranked ground game entering Week 5 to only 22-27 rushing in Week 5.
PATRIOTS DL Malcolm Brown had 2 sacks for 14 yards in losses in Week 5.
PATRIOTS S Patrick Chung had an INT and 6 tackles in Week 5.
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_74a32ecb-9d8f-5076-8ecf-e6ed83364d98.html

You think Todd Bowles is better than Rex Ryan? You think Adam Gase is better than the last clown running the show in Miami? You think Chip Kelly is better than Jim Harbaugh?
??? No, I thought we were talking Bengals. I think whoever replaces Marvin Lewis will do a better job that Lewis.

But to answer your somewhat unrelated questions, yes, I think Bowles is a far better coach than Ryan, I have no clue about Adam Gase, and Chip Kelly is not better than Harbaugh (but he is better than Mike Singletary, as was Harbaugh).

??? No, I thought we were talking Bengals. I think whoever replaces Marvin Lewis will do a better job that Lewis.

But to answer your somewhat unrelated questions, yes, I think Bowles is a far better coach than Ryan, I have no clue about Adam Gase, and Chip Kelly is not better than Harbaugh (but he is better than Mike Singletary, as was Harbaugh).

How are they unrelated questions? You assume that anybody that takes over the Bengals will do a better job than Lewis? Based on what? How do you make that assumption? What I did was give you a list of coaches who replaced other coaches and have fared no better...and, in a couple cases...worse? Do you seriously not understand what I did there, or are you just unwilling to accept the fact that you made a complete and total baseless assumption? If that's the case just come out and say it, it's okay.

It's NOT baseless if his belief/premise is that lewis is the all time worst. :coffee:

Plus, in fairness it's an oft use bit of hyperbole. How many times have we all said something like "ANYTHING is better than that".?

Cheers, BostonTim

Bill was very frank about how difficult it is for opponents to deal with Marty and Gronk.

The biggest takeaway from Belichick’s breakdown this week: Expect to see plenty more of the Rob Gronkowski/Martellus Bennett two-tight end combination.

The final play shown by Belichick was Bennett’s 37-yard touchdown catch at 12:28 of the second quarter against the Browns. In detailing the play, Belichick highlights how both Gronkowski and Bennett are two yards behind the defense and “really, you could throw the ball to either one of them for a big gain.”

Quarterback Tom Brady chose Bennett after selling an effective play-action fake.

Said Belichick, “These two players really complement each other well; they both can do a lot of the same things. It’s hard to get one of them. It’s really hard to get both of them.”

They need to lose one more, and whoever they replace Lewis with is pretty certain to be better.

I think Lewis is a good coach, and if Cincinnati was stupid enough to fire him, he'd have several offers for the next season, (if not sooner).

I think Lewis is a good coach, and if Cincinnati was stupid enough to fire him, he'd have several offers for the next season, (if not sooner).

Lewis has a life-time winning percentage of .540. Multiply that by 16 games, and that means he's good for 8 1/2 wins per season.

That's slightly better than average. A C+, if we're giving out letter grades.

Plus there's the whole no-wins-in-the-post-season thing he has going on. Currently he's 0-7, and it doesn't seem likely he'll get a chance to change that this year.

You're probably right that he would get another job if he were to be fired, but it would not be from a franchise that's used to post-season success, IMHO.

Lewis has a life-time winning percentage of .540. Multiply that by 16 games, and that means he's good for 8 1/2 wins per season.

That's slightly better than average. A C+, if we're giving out letter grades.

Plus there's the whole no-wins-in-the-post-season thing he has going on. Currently he's 0-7, and it doesn't seem likely he'll get a chance to change that this year.

You're probably right that he would get another job if he were to be fired, but it would not be from a franchise that's used to post-season success, IMHO.

I think what is killing the NFL is the lack of good coaches. A complete dearth even worse than quality QBs. Sadly, with the numbers you just listed for Lewis, he is easily a top 10 coach in today's league.

It's NOT baseless if his belief/premise is that lewis is the all time worst. :coffee:

Plus, in fairness it's an oft use bit of hyperbole. How many times have we all said something like "ANYTHING is better than that".?

Cheers, BostonTim

I'll give on the hyperbole point. I just thought that what I did was more obvious than it apparently was.

:shrug_n:

How are they unrelated questions? You assume that anybody that takes over the Bengals will do a better job than Lewis? Based on what? How do you make that assumption? What I did was give you a list of coaches who replaced other coaches and have fared no better...and, in a couple cases...worse? Do you seriously not understand what I did there, or are you just unwilling to accept the fact that you made a complete and total baseless assumption? If that's the case just come out and say it, it's okay.
Jesus Christ! What's the matter with the forum these days? Why are some people on such a hair trigger when someone has the audacity to suggest something with which you disagree? Someone thinks Marvin Lewis is not a good coach? Holy shit! How dare he! Bring out the artillery and pound that moron into submission.

I never said nor implied that any coach can do better than the guy he replaces. I only mentioned Marvin Lewis. And I said it because I cannot imagine any coach running a team as talented as the Bengals have been for 14 years and not winning a single playoff game the entire time. I cannot imagine any coach repeating that feat. It has nothing to do and is completely unrelated to Chip Kelley, Jim Harbaugh or anyone else.

It was not a complete and total baseless assumption. It is based on the fact that I think Lewis sucks. Just because you don't agree with what I think doesn't make it baseless.

I'll tell you what I think is baseless - your response:

Me: Lewis is so bad that anyone who replaces him will do a better job.

You: Not true because Rex Ryan was better than Todd Bowles.

WTF

Thursday's practice report:

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 13, 2016

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS (4-1)

OUT
No Players Listed.

DID NOT PARTICIPATE
RB Brandon Bolden - Knee
LB Jonathan Freeny - Shoulder
TE Greg Scruggs - Knee

LIMITED PARTICIPATION
TE Martellus Bennett - Ankle
RB LeGarrette Blount - Hip
OT Marcus Cannon - Calf
LB Jamie Collins - Hip
WR Julian Edelman - Foot
QB Jimmy Garoppolo - Right Shoulder
TE Rob Gronkowski - Hamstring
LB Dont'a Hightower - Knee
LB Shea McClellin - Concussion
WR Malcolm Mitchell - Hamstring
OL Joe Thuney - Shoulder
DL Vincent Valentine - Back

FULL PARTICIPATION
No Players Listed.

CINCINNATI BENGALS (2-3)

OUT
No Players Listed.

DID NOT PARTICIPATE
TE Tyler Eifert - Back/Ankle

LIMITED PARTICIPATION
CB Dre Kirkpatrick - Hand
OT Andrew Whitworth - Not Injury Related
WR James Wright - Hamstring

FULL PARTICIPATION
G Clint Boling - Shoulder
HB Rex Burkhead - Hamstring
WR A.J. Green - Calf
HB Jeremy Hill - Chest
S George Iloka - Shoulder
TE C.J. Uzomah - Ankle

Jesus Christ! What's the matter with the forum these days? Why are some people on such a hair trigger when someone has the audacity to suggest something with which you disagree? Someone thinks Marvin Lewis is not a good coach? Holy shit! How dare he! Bring out the artillery and pound that moron into submission.

I never said nor implied that any coach can do better than the guy he replaces. I only mentioned Marvin Lewis. And I said it because I cannot imagine any coach running a team as talented as the Bengals have been for 14 years and not winning a single playoff game the entire time. I cannot imagine any coach repeating that feat. It has nothing to do and is completely unrelated to Chip Kelley, Jim Harbaugh or anyone else.

It was not a complete and total baseless assumption. It is based on the fact that I think Lewis sucks. Just because you don't agree with what I think doesn't make it baseless.

I'll tell you what I think is baseless - your response:

Me: Lewis is so bad that anyone who replaces him will do a better job.

You: Not true because Rex Ryan was better than Todd Bowles.

WTF

Lewis isn't very good at all...Look at Zimmer in Minny. He already turned the Vikes over. The Bungles could have EASILY kept him...and dumped Lewis's ass. Bungles aren't too bright though...

Lewis isn't very good at all...Look at Zimmer in Minny. He already turned the Vikes over. The Bungles could have EASILY kept him...and dumped Lewis's ass. Bungles aren't too bright though...

Vikings are balling and the Bengals are trash so far. Looks like we found the heart of the Bengals

Back