We're on to Cincinnati

I am starting to feel like our defensive woes are more scheme than talent. I can't understand why Patricia has us in so much zone or playing off of the receivers. I really felt like if there was any year that we could blitz and play aggressive it was this season with the athleticism we have all over the field.

The first possession of the Browns game was just like the second half of the Fins game. We played off the receivers and let a rookie go right down the field. On the second possession, we send the heat and get a safety. I mean this isn't rocket science, right? Release the hounds already. I would rather get burnt being aggressive than this pansy zone, keep everything in front of us baloney that lets crap offenses have their way with us.

The Pats opened a 8 point favorites to beat the Bengals.

Let's watch that line go up as game time approaches.

I am starting to feel like our defensive woes are more scheme than talent. I can't understand why Patricia has us in so much zone or playing off of the receivers. I really felt like if there was any year that we could blitz and play aggressive it was this season with the athleticism we have all over the field.

The first possession of the Browns game was just like the second half of the Fins game. We played off the receivers and let a rookie go right down the field. On the second possession, we send the heat and get a safety. I mean this isn't rocket science, right? Release the hounds already. I would rather get burnt being aggressive than this pansy zone, keep everything in front of us baloney that lets crap offenses have their way with us.
It could be or it could be that the talent level /experience level/health of those playing is not all up to where they want to see it yet so they play it more safe in general. BB has always been "bend but don't break" of course, and we pretty much know that the first series or two on defense will likely be nail biters as they see how the opposition wants to attack them while in safe mode.
But we have a lot of guys who are new like Long, less experienced like Brown, not experienced in the Pats system like McClellin, Mingo, or rookies like Roberts. Plus Ninko is still working back in as is Hightower. If they still look shaky around game 8-10 with most of their parts intact I'll start WTFing.

I'm just hoping the defense gets it together. I've not been very impressed thus far (especially since it looks like Arizona and Houston aren't very good).

Ya...I was expecting this defense to be a lot more dominant than this.

Also, why is Freeny starting over Mingo? Shouldn't Mingo be playing more by now? :huh:

Malcolm Brown is playing well, he's plugging he gaps and getting pressure on. The Browns had no run game at all on Saturday. BB did what he does best, took away their strengths. The D has to get some credit for that.

That crap drives me batshit crazy. There is no reason that, with the talent in place, this defense can't be an elite unit on the level with what Denver put on the field last year. I think part of it is the bend, don't break philosophy and part of it is allowing the clock to run once a substantial lead is in place.

That crap drives me batshit crazy. There is no reason that, with the talent in place, this defense can't be an elite unit on the level with what Denver put on the field last year. I think part of it is the bend, don't break philosophy and part of it is allowing the clock to run once a substantial lead is in place.

Yeah. This is the youngest most athletic defense we have had in years. If we don't go after it this year, then when? I know it is still early in the season and even with Revis in '14 we did a lot of zone the first month but man, I really hope we flip the switch.

You must have had a very frustrating 17 years with Bill. :domORIGINAL: So have I.

This is what Bill Belichick does.

I don't know why, but aggressive, attacking defensive schemes are just not his bag. He seems to like boring the other teams to death and it has been a very successful, if puzzling, formula.

Sometimes Bill will break his longtime tendencies and I wondered if we were stocking up for a pressure D, but the second half of the Miami game was no accident.

The logical thing to do when you see a young or inexperienced QB in there is to blitz and keep him off balance, but 9 times out of 10 those are the guys that look good against us and I've all but given up hope that that is ever going to change.

He doesn't (I could say Matt Patricia, but I don't really see the point) mind giving up yards or watching a scrub QB get himself in a rhythm as long as we have a lead and keep the play in front of his DBs.

If it's a running QB then it's rare to see a lot of pressure and he'll tell the boys to just keep him in the pocket as we saw with Tyrod Taylor having 6 seconds to scan the field.

I'd guess the number one point of the Browns game was to control the ground game first and then Terrelle Pryor from what I saw of the coverages.

I happen to think we could've crushed Miami if that is what Bill wanted, but for reasons known only to him we got to see Tannehill have probably his best half of the season. It's frustrating as a fan, but I feel like I've seen this movie before and the record shows that it works.

:shrug_n:

IMO, this defense simply isn't as talented as Denver's. I'm not saying our defense stinks, but their pass rush is better than ours, and so is their secondary, IMO.

BB does what BB does, and it's nothing new.

Skyline chili is ****ing disgusting.

Exactly this. One of my best friends in colleges was from Cincy and he talked about Skyline and how I had to try it all of the time. When I finally tried it, it was so bad that I actually thought I hated chili.

Went to the one across the street from the Cincinnatian Hotel several years ago. Let's just say it left something to be desired.

I am starting to feel like our defensive woes

I'm so tired of this meme.

4th in points, 13th in yards, 11th in turnovers.

Enough already. They had one bad half, in a game they were up 31-3. Enough.

:coffee:

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 PM ----------

Also, why is Freeny starting over Mingo? Shouldn't Mingo be playing more by now? :huh:

This is Freeny's 3rd season with the team, Mingo hasn't even been here 3 months.

Why? They've given up 29 total points their last 3 games.

this^^^

they're 4th in points allowed. The only people who give a shit about yards allowed are FF guys...yet another reason that I hate FF.

Plus, even when the Bills were clearly dominating possession against us, they only managed one TD and 16 points. They completely shut down clevelands run game as well.

Plus, even when the Bills were clearly dominating possession against us, they only managed one TD and 16 points. They completely shut down clevelands run game as well.

3 points in the 2nd half.

Watch AJ Green have his quietest game of the season. Dalton will be harassed and beaten all night.

Skyline chili is ****ing disgusting.

I was mainly intrigued about them promoting 3-ways actually... :coffee:

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 PM ----------

Exactly this. One of my best friends in colleges was from Cincy and he talked about Skyline and how I had to try it all of the time. When I finally tried it, it was so bad that I actually thought I hated chili.

What is in their chili?

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

Watch AJ Green have his quietest game of the season. Dalton will be harassed and beaten all night.

Dalton sucks ass though... :shrug_n:

Back