What Existed When You Were A Kid That No Longer Exists

@THAT Charlie Gordon
thank goodness you are back! my old ass couldn't remember the "that" preceeding your new name and i was trying to tag you and was worried you changed again when i typed "charlie" and got no suggested completing words. i finally figured it out last night by scrolling through topics looking for your name. i checked your profile to make sure. and now i don't remember what i wanted to tag you on. 😄
#oldpeopleproblems
#mymemoryiswhatexistedthatinowmiss

@THAT Charlie Gordon
thank goodness you are back! my old ass couldn't remember the "that" preceeding your new name and i was trying to tag you and was worried you changed again when i typed "charlie" and got no suggested completing words. i finally figured it out last night by scrolling through topics looking for your name. i checked your profile to make sure. and now i don't remember what i wanted to tag you on. 😄
#oldpeopleproblems
#mymemoryiswhatexistedthatinowmiss
Nice to be missed, HS.

Unfortunately, If nothing changes I'll probably be done here soon. The ability to read more than a couple paragraphs comes and goes these days, and the loss is accelerating. When I can read, I usually need to point at something a little more mission critical.

Never assume what you rely on today will be there tomorrow, y'all. Hence the change of handle. So maybe my answer to the OP should be "my brain."

imma talkin' 'bout Hitchhikin' where theys civilization
:biggrin:
neil degrasse tyson GIF

There’s one at Lake George, too.

I thought you were referring to Howard Johnsons because I'd read that the last one in the US closed in Lake George last year.

Also, Ground Rounds are long gone and Fuddruckers (liked putting on my own lettuce/tomatoes, onions, etc.)

And, although the Seaport district in Boston is cool, I miss the seafood restaurants that used to be there - Pier 4, Jimmy's Harborside, the No Name.

And WBCN and WAAF and relevant rock stations that are broadcast on actual radio.

Last edited:

What the fuck is privacy?

I hear people say the word. I just can't relate. Surveillance, fully documented, since 16 years old.

Blowing this pop stand.

Thinking about Where In The World Waldo is going.

Ill hit you up.

Smoking on airplanes and bars. Cigarette machines.

I used to smoke way back in the day. I remember being on a flight between Oahu and Maui and there was
hardly anybody on the plane (another thing that doesn't exist) and the attractive flight attendant offered me a free
cocktail if she could bum a smoke. We just sat there puffing away like it was no big thing, because at that
time it wasn't.

It seems like a parallel universe. All of it. Flying is like being on a cattle car now by comparison.

Add enjoyable flights to the list if somebody already didn't.

When I was a kid my Dad worked as many hours as he could (had to) and my Mom had four younger kids
to worry about, so I pretty much got to wander around at will whether on foot or on a bike. I had freedom to
explore and experience the world around me whether good, bad or indifferent and it was an important
part in shaping me. I've had a chance to experience a lot of stuff that I never even dreamed of doing back then
but experiencing that sort of freedom as a little kid might've taught me that sometimes you do things on
a total whim and surprising things can result and most of them were good. Some of them were great. What
trouble and scary shit I found did not outweigh the cool stuff or make me afraid to roam around.

I pity kids today whose parents are fearful of letting their kids out of their sight without passing the baton
to yet another responsible adult. Big Adult is watching you. I pity the parents as well, but I understand that
things have changed and at least some of the reasons why. The small percentage of adults that want to
diddle kids have changed the fabric of our culture. I was not even aware such things existed until much later.

We weren't taught fear and mistrust of everything which is mandatory now.

I went out into deep woods and crossed swamps. Built rickety tree forts. I rode a bike through Boston at night. I camped
out in my friend's backyards and stayed up all night wandering the streets at 10 years old with my friends
talking about everything. Got chased by wild dogs. Took the red line to Fenway with my friends when we were
7. A million things like that too numerous to mention. I got to know the physical world before the digital
world existed.

Humans are very adaptable creatures and I don't know that being a captive of a helicopter parent is going
to result in a generation of screwed-up kids turning into screwed-up adults whose lives have been idiot-proofed
and curated for them. But......yeah. It might.

One thing is for sure, though. freedom for kids no longer exists and I find that very sad.
All of this. i grew up on Long Island and many times during the summer my buddy & I would ride our bikes about 5 miles and then catch the ferry to Fire Island. We’d spend all day at the beach, catch the last ferry back and make it home just before dark. Mom never knew or asked what we did, she just knew that we would be home when we got hungry lol.

Nice to be missed, HS.

Unfortunately, If nothing changes I'll probably be done here soon. The ability to read more than a couple paragraphs comes and goes these days, and the loss is accelerating. When I can read, I usually need to point at something a little more mission critical.

Never assume what you rely on today will be there tomorrow, y'all. Hence the change of handle. So maybe my answer to the OP should be "my brain."

Im coming to see you.

Its time.

And you will remember me. Cause its an essential point.

I love you man.

❤️
🔥
✌️

Back