Which of the Movies Nominated for Oscars Have You Seen This Year?

Count me in the District 9 fan club. I ****ing loved that movie. Really unique.

I finally saw 'Up in the Air'.
The movie is nowhere as good as the ridiculous positive hype I heard the past few months for this movie.

District9 was the best movie of the year, and Avatar should win a boatload of awards too. I don't think Avatar was anymore cliche than that new Star Trek movie though, or the Lord of the Rings or Indiana Jones or classic older Star Wars movies; it took very well known archetypes and classic storylines, and made it visually appealing.

I would have hated Inglorious Bastards if not for the Jew Hunter. He was just so incredible in the movie I couldn't help but love it.

I would have hated Inglorious Bastards if not for the Jew Hunter. He was just so incredible in the movie I couldn't help but love it.

I think him winning the Oscar will be kind of like Javier Bardem for No Country for Old Men. Both movies needed great performances from the villain to work.

I thought Basterds had some good scenes that The Jew Hunter wasn't in too - like the long sequence in the basement bar where the suspense draws out for a long time before things finally blow up. Tarantino's great at writing scenes where people are babbling about pop culture, even if it's German movies from 70 years ago.

I think him winning the Oscar will be kind of like Javier Bardem for No Country for Old Men. Both movies needed great performances from the villain to work.

I thought Basterds had some good scenes that The Jew Hunter wasn't in too - like the long sequence in the basement bar where the suspense draws out for a long time before things finally blow up. Tarantino's great at writing scenes where people are babbling about pop culture, even if it's German movies from 70 years ago.
Javier Bardem scares the freaking hell out of me!!!

Agreed that there were other great scenes but the Jew Hunter captivated me and kept me interested past the very heavy subtitles in the beginning. Without him, the movie would have been just meh to me (sans the baseball bat beating and the Teddy ballgame speech that gave me the lolz)

I saw Avatar,Inglorious Bastards, and District 9. I want to see the Hurt Locker and the Blindside,but I have no desire to see the rest. I thought Inglorious Bastards was a very good B+ movie with some very tense scenes. District 9 Suck the biggest Moose Cock that man has ever fvcking known.... Avatar was an outstanding movie,but a little anticlimactic,but will easily win the most Oscars including the one that means the most!

Hurt Locker - I thought this film was okay, but the only thing that bugs me is that people keep saying it is so realistic. Everybody I've talked to that has been in Iraq has told me that it is about as UNREALISTIC as you can get. EOD guys do not provide their own security and they certainly do not EVER go out hunting people. I've also read that a lot of actual EOD guys were very put off by the cowboy actions of Renner's character. That being said, I thought it was a pretty good film, but nothing special. If you want to see something realistic regarding Iraq, watch Generation Kill.

Up - Good kids movie, but not worthy of Best Picture.

District 9 - I absolutely loved this movie. I loved the South African setting, and the way it transitioned from a news story to traditional story telling. I loved the intensity and the way it didn't get bogged down trying to explain the aliens and/or try to make sense of anything. Best movie I saw this year. Definitely.

unlike years past, I actually have a desire to see several of these. O.Z.O. Jr. saw 'Star Trek', said it was excellent. All of these should be popping up on Cinemax soon (think 'Inglorious Bastards' and 'Star Trek' are this month)

ITarantino's great at writing scenes where people are babbling about pop culture, even if it's German movies from 70 years ago.
Sometimes he gets enamoured with himself and shows off his dialogue ability too much. Sometimes less is more. Not every scene needs a 5 minute pontification using big words about basically...nothing.

But yeah, the tavern scene was well written...very well done.

Sometimes he gets enamoured with himself and shows off his dialogue ability too much. Sometimes less is more. Not every scene needs a 5 minute pontification using big words about basically...nothing.

BINGO as to why his past films left me not quite a fan! There was for sure some of this in Basterds but the story and characters AND cinematography were so awesome I didn't mind.

Saw "Inglorious Basterds". Good movie. The opening scene when the family is hiding the Jewish family is great cinema for the tension alone.

Have you ever seen Death Proof? Ugh! There was a reason Jane Austen never wrote male-male dialogue.

The entire film consists of dialogue between two separate foursomes of women that is impossible to sit through without constantly screaming, "Woman don't talk this way to each other!"

It was painful. :banghead:

Up-better than Wall-E by far, a lot of heart, but not Pixar's best effort by a long shot. I am really looking forward to TS3 this summer, though....
Posted via Mobile Device
Weird, I thought Wall-E was better in every single aspect. The dogs were kind of funny in Up I guess

Have you ever seen Death Proof? Ugh! There was a reason Jane Austen never wrote male-male dialogue.

The entire film consists of dialogue between two separate foursomes of women that is impossible to sit through without constantly screaming, "Woman don't talk this way to each other!"

It was painful. :banghead:

I totally agree with you about Deathproof, but at least the women were hot to look at. I think part of what happens is that Tarantino gets obsessed with some pulpy crappy movies that he was into when he was a kid - and then his homage to them stays true to some of the unrealistic parts.

But he can write fantastic dialogue. All the back and forth between Travolta and Samuel Jackson in Pulp Fiction, and nearly all the dialogue in Reservoir Dogs are classic. Also, he wrote the screenplay for True Romance, which has great dialogue from beginning to end, especially the scenes between Dennis Hopper & Christopher Walken and Christian Slater & Gary Oldman.

I guess I'll throw down some last minute predictions to see how I do:

Best Picture: The Hurt Locker - and I'm rooting against Avatar for style over substance.

Best Actor: Jeff Bridges/Crazy Heart. The dude was great in this - he even sings well. It'll be fun to see him finally win.

Best Actress: Meryl Streep/Julie & Julia. Haven't seen any of the movies in this category, but Streep's a much better actress than Bullock and she hasn't won since the 80's. A dark horse might be the 350 lb. girl from Precious, who's in her first movie - which would be a unique feel good story. This seems like the most up for grabs category.

Best Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz/Inglorious Basterds. He owns this movie - the best person reading Tarantino dialogue since Samuel Jackson.

Best Supporting Actress: Mo'Nique/Precious. All the reviews say she's awesome in this.

Best Director: Kathryn Bigelow/The Hurt Locker. She'd be the first woman to ever win best director and it's cool that a woman directed a "guy" pic like this. She's also James Cameron's ex-wife. He might win, but I really liked The Hurt Locker and think the academy will vote for real people over CGI.

Back