Why Peyton Winning Doesn't Really Bother Me

So if we get this straight, after years of being told rings don't matter, suddenly they do.... but even at that, Brady still has twice as Many.

Yep, that's Manning ballwashing logic right there for you.

They still matter. 4 vs 2. Peyton finally has as many as guys like Eli (who earned his) and Big Ben. He's still far back of elite company.

But let's be real, Peyton was carried to his SB victories. His numbers in his SB winning post-seasons are atrocious. Anyone who watched that game last night knows he contributed almost nothing to the win. Contrast that to what Brady did versus Seattle last year.

Rings are a big deal and Peyton has two now, so kudos to him. But it's still only 2. And when looking at the rings specifically, context matters. And within context, only one Manning brother has elevated his play on the big stage.

So yes, PeyPey fans can be happy he's finally got that 2nd ring and joined Eli, Ben, Griese, Plunket, etc. in the 2-win club. But for a QB of his caliber with the records he holds, you'd expect more than 2 and you'd expect him to actually be a major contributor to those wins. He wasn't.

I agree w/ the last part, but having 2 rings & a winning overall playoff record really takes away a lot of the arguments of his detractors (as you alluded to in the OP). And I disagree about his 1st ring; the 3/7 stat is fairly isolated, imo. He also led what was at the time the biggest comeback ever in an AFCCG, and played well (though not great) in the SB.

And a lot of people still say Brady's D carried him in the early years. I don't - but that is a popular narrative. I think it applies to his 1st ring more than anything.

Just in general, I really enjoyed last night's game. A lot of people are saying that it was a terrible game, but I love great defensive games like that. Both D's played out of their minds, and it wasn't really decided until the last few minutes.

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 AM ----------

So if we get this straight, after years of being told rings don't matter, suddenly they do.... but even at that, Brady still has twice as Many.

Yep, that's Manning ballwashing logic right there for you.

You're really taking it from the perspective that I (or whoever) was arguing that "Manning is better than Brady." I guess that's just innate after all these years, but no way was I saying that.

I agree w/ the last part, but having 2 rings & a winning overall playoff record really takes away a lot of the arguments of his detractors (as you alluded to in the OP). And I disagree about his 1st ring; the 3/7 stat is fairly isolated, imo. He also led what was at the time the biggest comeback ever in an AFCCG, and played well (though not great) in the SB.

I agree with this. What is interesting is where do you rank ManninHGH all time? His 14 wins are third best behind Brady and Montana and tied with Bradshaw and Elway. He has the regular season records currently but they will be topped by Brees and/or Brady in the next 2-3 seasons. I think I would probably put him at 5 or 6 overall.

Brady
Montana
Unitas
Elway
Bradshaw
ManninHGH

I agree w/ the last part, but having 2 rings & a winning overall playoff record really takes away a lot of the arguments of his detractors (as you alluded to in the OP).

Really, an overall winning playoff record? You mean 14-13? Look, if we're going to make a binary analysis of Peyton's playoff record between good and suck, it still falls in suck. 77 lifetime QB rating in the Super Bowl. Terrible.

I agree w/ the last part, but having 2 rings & a winning overall playoff record really takes away a lot of the arguments of his detractors (as you alluded to in the OP).

Not really.

He still has a metric ****ton of one-and-dones. He will go down as a superb regular season QB who seriously underperformed and underachieved in the playoffs. Winning a 2nd SB with that awful performance doesn't really change that. Yes history will remember him a little better for having 2 rings and a positive playoff record, but it doesn't change the narrative or who he was for his entire career. If he'd come out and had the greatest post-season in history by lighting up teams and putting in a HOF performance during the SB (like Brady last year) then maybe his legacy gets a more substantial nudge, but that didn't happen. He rode a superb D to a win in a season where he was one of the worst QBs in the entire league. That was never Brady, even when he had a great defense.

His legacy was formed years ago and he may have had a chance to change it for the better against Seattle and blew it hard. He's made his case for #3 GOAT stronger, but that's as far as he can ever go really.

I agree with this. What is interesting is where do you rank ManninHGH all time? His 14 wins are third best behind Brady and Montana and tied with Bradshaw and Elway. He has the regular season records currently but they will be topped by Brees and/or Brady in the next 2-3 seasons. I think I would probably put him at 5 or 6 overall.

Brady
Montana
Unitas
Elway
Bradshaw
ManninHGH

I'd actually put him above Bradshaw & Elway, but it's close among the 3. PM's differentiator (for me) is a superior ability to read defenses.

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 AM ----------

Really, an overall winning playoff record? You mean 14-13? Look, if we're going to make a binary analysis of Peyton's playoff record between good and suck, it still falls in suck. 77 lifetime QB rating in the Super Bowl. Terrible.

I can count quite a few QB's who would take the suckage of 14 playoff wins & 2 rings.

I'd actually put him above Bradshaw & Elway, but it's close among the 3. PM's differentiator (for me) is a superior ability to read defenses.

I can see that but to me PM was not nearly as clutch as Elway. And for all the talk about how Manning never had a team around him to win like Brady, Elway had crap teams in the 80s and willed them to three 3 SBs. To me that puts Elway over him along with his 5 SB appearances and hardly ever going one and done like Peyton either. Bradshaw is tough because it was a different era but his will and heart were above Peyton's IMO but his teams were obviously much more talented too.

this is probably as good a place as any to say that was not a good game. Like see tough D so I'm ok there but sloppy, plus even the commercials sucked. Just not a good end to the season for the NFL with Pey-Pey winning but looking bad, and the shilling for sponsors.

cn8b8gr5epqmxcwax5or.gif

Personally, I'm enjoying the irony. For years on this board, rings were all that mattered.

People who use the amount of rings alone as an argument are too lazy to make a real one. Not worth debating/discussing things with them.

Fivehead never deserved this ring...at least he has a record for the worst qb rating ever for winning the super bowl.

They still matter. 4 vs 2. Peyton finally has as many as guys like Eli (who earned his) and Big Ben. He's still far back of elite company.

But let's be real, Peyton was carried to his SB victories. His numbers in his SB winning post-seasons are atrocious.

I agree with you, but PM was pretty effective in the comeback against the Pats in the 2006 AFCG.

Jimmy Garoppolo would have won this year's SB playing for the Broncos. PM has had a spectacular regular season career with some postseason chokes and a few good outings. This year doesn't change any of that.

LOL!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YtIPmVN6zdc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back