Will the Panthers go 16-0?

So how does Patriots president Jonathan Kraft feel about the Panthers going for the undefeated season?

"God bless them. We're not the Miami Dolphins popping corks," Kraft told 98.5 The Sports Hub before Sunday's game against the Titans. "It's about winning the Super Bowl. And you saw that year, that game in New York I think people were excited when it was over and you'd done it, but it was on to the Super Bowl.

"We love the Panthers. [Panthers owner] Jerry Richardson is a close friend of our family's and if they can accomplish it it's an awesome feat. I think Cam Newton is great for the league. I think I've only seen one and a half of their games so it's hard to comment on how they've played, but from everything I've read he's been really fun to watch this year and that's good for the National Football League."

The Panthers have scored at least 27 points over their last 12 games, and are fresh off a 38-0 win over the Falcons last week. Newton is the frontrunner for this year's MVP award, going into Sunday having thrown for 3,062 yards and 28 touchdowns along with 10 interceptions. He's rushed for 480 yards and seven touchdowns, too. That's all fine by Kraft - for now, anyways.

"When we get to the postseason and if we were to ever meet - and there's a lot that ever has to happen - I'd probably be rooting against a perfect season more than I would be otherwise," Kraft said. "But until then it's a fun thing to have happen and it's great for the league."

"God bless them. We're not the Miami Dolphins popping corks," Kraft told 98.5 The Sports Hub before Sunday's game against the Titans. "It's about winning the Super Bowl. And you saw that year, that game in New York I think people were excited when it was over and you'd done it, but it was on to the Super Bowl.

"We love the Panthers. [Panthers owner] Jerry Richardson is a close friend of our family's and if they can accomplish it it's an awesome feat.

"When we get to the postseason and if we were to ever meet - and there's a lot that ever has to happen - I'd probably be rooting against a perfect season more than I would be otherwise," Kraft said. "But until then it's a fun thing to have happen and it's great for the league."

Richardson is as close to the stereotypical evil rich man as you can get. We would still be in the locket if he had his way, and IIRC he was the one who said the Patriots had created a culture of cheating.

Total a-hole. Hope they go one and done. Kraft is just playing nice and knows it's making himself money.

I think the Panthers take Seattle at home. Cam is too good at the moment and the Panthers have a great defense, Norman will take out Baldwin and the front 7 will pressure Wilson all game.

Richardson is as close to the stereotypical evil rich man as you can get. We would still be in the locket if he had his way, and IIRC he was the one who said the Patriots had created a culture of cheating. Total a-hole. Hope they go one and done. Kraft is just playing nice and knows it's making himself money.
You're such a charmer during the holiday season.

:coffee:

Richardson is as close to the stereotypical evil rich man as you can get. We would still be in the locket if he had his way, and IIRC he was the one who said the Patriots had created a culture of cheating.

Total a-hole. Hope they go one and done. Kraft is just playing nice and knows it's making himself money.
It was their former GM Hurney who said that.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article9270485.html

JR and BB are acquainted from way back in the Balt Colts days when JR played there and BB was growing up there, IIRC. BB used to have season tickets to the Panthers, as support. (Herald archives are pay)

http://www.peepsplace.com/showthread.php?t=11927

I don't think it's evil to try to keep more of what you earn, but to each his own. :shrug:

Knowing the insane amount of pressure that followed the Pats everywhere back in 2007, I really expected Carolina to have lost a game by now. They've surprised me with their resiliency, and I have to tip my cap to Newton. I'm not a huge fan of the guy personally but I respect what he's done this year.

That said, give him the MVP, and let them go 16-0. We all know neither of those things hold up to a title.

If they do somehow win out and win the Super Bowl, well... mad respect, what can you say? Can't take it away from them. But they have a long way to go.

I think the Panthers take Seattle at home. Cam is too good at the moment and the Panthers have a great defense, Norman will take out Baldwin and the front 7 will pressure Wilson all game.

I'm with you (sorry, bideau!). I've watched every Panthers game from start to finish this year, and they are no joke. Yes, Seattle is experienced, but Carolina is a machine and they are playing with a ton of confidence right now, especially after that battle with the Giants.

Can you imagine if they go 16-0 and face the Patriots in the Super Bowl? Man, the hype would never end for that game.

Making himself money, how?

Knowing the insane amount of pressure that followed the Pats everywhere back in 2007, I really expected Carolina to have lost a game by now. They've surprised me with their resiliency, and I have to tip my cap to Newton. I'm not a huge fan of the guy personally but I respect what he's done this year.

That said, give him the MVP, and let them go 16-0. We all know neither of those things hold up to a title.

If they do somehow win out and win the Super Bowl, well... mad respect, what can you say? Can't take it away from them. But they have a long way to go.

Lots of teams have won the Super Bowl but only one has gone 16-0. :bow:

I'm with you (sorry, bideau!). I've watched every Panthers game from start to finish this year, and they are no joke. Yes, Seattle is experienced, but Carolina is a machine and they are playing with a ton of confidence right now, especially after that battle with the Giants.

Can you imagine if they go 16-0 and face the Patriots in the Super Bowl? Man, the hype would never end for that game.

I agree with you. The Panthers are a solid football team and Newton is as cool and level-headed under pressure as they come. Seattle's experience is 1 SB win and 1 SB loss. That loss and their loss to Car in Seattle earlier this year will haunt them when/if the Panthers meet the Seahawks this postseason. The one thing that would bother me if I were a Panthers fan is that they typically only play for 45 mins a game. Vs the Giants they only played 30 mins and it almost bit them in the ass but Cam willed them to win that game when many of his other players were imploding around him. Cam Newton is great under extreme pressure. He raised his Auburn team to beat Bama after being down 24 pts. He plays his absolute best in the 4th qtr with the game on the line. He's a winner. He has his players' trust and confidence. Maybe the Giants game taught them a valuable lesson that will serve them well in the playoffs. If the Pats are healthy, a Pats-Panthers SB should be an epic battle fitting for the 50th anniversary SB game.

I don't think it has as much to do with the opponent as it does with implosion. They could skate past the redskins, and if they do they will be scary the rest of the way. I just don't get the feeling that they are mentally tough. I know they have had some serious comebacks this season already, but that is sort of my point. This is the playoffs.

So, other than Seattle before they went on a roll against shitty teams, how many playoff teams has Carolina played this year and beaten convincingly? I'm frankly not all that impressed at this point, with either Carolina or Seattle. I expect short appearances in the playoffs for both. :coffee:

So, other than Seattle before they went on a roll against shitty teams, how many playoff teams has Carolina played this year and beaten convincingly? I'm frankly not all that impressed at this point, with either Carolina or Seattle. I expect short appearances in the playoffs for both. :coffee:

They have 8 opponents in common with the Pats. They played the AFCS and the NFCE. We all know neither division is very impressive (The Pats are 7-1). They had a good win at Seattle when Seattle was still in their funk, and a home win against GB. Their own division is bad.

Carolina is clearly the team to beat. Their having a season for the ages. Let's see how an inexperienced team handles the pressure of the playoffs. They will face quality opponents.

If the Pats face Carolina in SB 50, I hope the Pats are as healthy as possible because it could be another instant classic.

Back