2012 Training Camp Thread

shalise manza young ‏<s>@</s>shalisemyoung also from small window of practice: Demps worked w KRs, caught warmup passes w WRs/RBs, hit sled with RBs. first pass att went off his hands
I guess he's not used to Hoyer's fast ball. :coffee:

So, BB has him catching kicks, catching passes w/ WRs and RBs and hitting the sled. Sounds about right to me.

I didn't think Bolden look bad at RB, (even if he did suck @$$ on special teams). One of the things I look at is what happens after the first hit, and Bolden usually got more yards, (unless he was hit in the backfield before he got any momentum).

He hasn't look bad, but he hasn't looked better than any other random RB who flashed at some point in camp but never made the roster.

Certainly he hasn't shown any of the ability everyone raved about in camp.

He hasn't look bad, but he hasn't looked better than any other random RB who flashed at some point in camp but never made the roster.

Certainly he hasn't shown any of the ability everyone raved about in camp.

He looked much better early in camp but has slowed down the last 10 days according to Reiss and Bedard as McD threw more stuff at him to learn and his bruises began to mount.

http://www.csnne.com/football-new-e...ll-have-to-suck-it?blockID=761021&feedID=3352

Belichick says team will have to 'suck it up'

August 22, 2012, 9:53 am

Recommend

TAMPA -- Even though a fleet of very important Patriots sat out Monday's preseason game with the Eagles, more than half the 90-man roster played.

But Bill Belichick seems eager to have his team tested by the late game-day after-breakdown-fly to Tampa-practice-practice-game-fly home schedule his team is facing.

"Look, it's training camp," said Belichick when asked if any allowances were being made for spent players. "Coaches are tired, players are tired but we're gonna have a short week during the season. We have a Sunday-Thursday game during the season. That's what training camp's for. It's to suck it up, it's to be mentally tough with whatever situations you have. You're tired, you're sore, you didn't get any sleep, you traveled. You have to block that out and focus on what you can control which is your performance and your effort. You go out there and work through it as a team and as individuals."

The turnaround Belichick is referring to during the season comes when the Patriots play the Colts on Sunday and then follow with the Jets on Thanksgiving. He sees this week as becoming a touchstone for the team when things inevitably get ugly later.

"That's the way it's gonna be during the season," Belichick pointed out. "There will be plenty of weeks during the season where somebody's gonna be tired, somebody's gonna be sore or some position's gonna be short on numbers or whatever it is. You build your toughness and resiliency through training camp and that serves you well during the season. You look back during the season and say, 'You know what, this isn't that bad, we went through a lot worse stretch than this in camp.' You have the confidence you can do it. I don't really worry about that. These guys came to camp in good condition, they've worked hard, they've had a good camp, they're ready for the challenge in front of them and I expect them to meet it."

I truly hope he can field kicks like we all hope he can. Regularly giving this offense a short field seems grossly unfair. :thumb:

Yeah, I truly hope that the hype of his Olympic background doesn't crash and burn as he's cut from the 53. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if that's the way things turn out, but I'm praying that he is, in fact, the answer at KOs and PRs.

Yeah, I truly hope that the hype of his Olympic background doesn't crash and burn as he's cut from the 53. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if that's the way things turn out, but I'm praying that he is, in fact, the answer at KOs and PRs.

I'll be surprised if he takes a single PR all season.

I'll be surprised if he takes a single PR all season.
You may be right, but I hope not, as we sure need better than what we've seen thus far from our return game.

You may be right, but I hope not, as we sure need better than what we've seen thus far from our return game.

You didn't like every kick off return to be a dive to the 19?

KR have been dreadful, but Edelman is actually a solid punt returner. His 2010 average was higher than Troy Brown had at any point in his career and even a down 2011 was on par with Troy's average year.

I could be way off ,but in the past seems like for PR BB would more prefer the guy who will ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY CATCH AND HANG ON TO THE BALL over someone who may get great yardage but ball security could be iffy. KR , he will put some flash back there.

I could be way off ,but in the past seems like for PR BB would more prefer the guy who will ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY CATCH AND HANG ON TO THE BALL over someone who may get great yardage but ball security could be iffy. KR , he will put some flash back there.

This is true, and it presents itself even more when the punt is most likely to be inside the 10, and you see ancient vets like Faulk and a washed up Troy trot out there over more explosive alternatives.

http://www.csnne.com/football-new-e...ll-have-to-suck-it?blockID=761021&feedID=3352

I don't really worry about that. These guys came to camp in good condition, they've worked hard, they've had a good camp, they're ready for the challenge in front of them and I expect them to meet it."

This last statement by BB is about as praiseworthy as it gets. He sounds like he is pretty pleased with his team so far. Maybe I am reading more into it, but he does seem confident and for a guy who always says we have a lot to work on, it ggot me thinking the Pats are ready to rumble. I still hope they hardly play Brady again this week. Let him get his work done in practice in a protected environment and let that O-line get their act together first.

It's just that he hasn't had any flash to put out there lately. How often do we get a kick return past the 20?

:shake:

Demps ran for something like 2500 yards in college, caught for 450 yards IIRC, and returned kicks AND punts. He's not just "a track guy they're trying out". I see no reason he doesn't stick, and no reason he isn't a return man.

Demps ran for something like 2500 yards in college, caught for 450 yards IIRC, and returned kicks AND punts. He's not just "a track guy they're trying out". I see no reason he doesn't stick, and no reason he isn't a return man.

Who said he is "just a track guy they're trying out"?

FWIW, he returned 2 punts total in four years at Florida. Very unlikely he steals Edelman's role any time soon.

Who said he is "just a track guy they're trying out"?

FWIW, he returned 2 punts total in four years at Florida. Very unlikely he steals Edelman's role any time soon.

I'll be happy if Demps can bring some life to our kickoff returns. If he can do punts as well, it would be a bonus.

Back